Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dingle/Ceann Sibeal

DI8pFfrXYAQiXVr.jpg

DI8pHChW0AABPKU.jpg

DI8pIJNW4AAZjtG.jpg

Majestic Tralee, I could honestly upload another dozen or so stunning shots, the back 9 are simply outstanding, played well, two OOBs and 35pts playing it for the first time, birdied 9 and 18, great to walk off with a birdie...

DI8qK1HWAAEOwmQ.jpg

DI8qLslXkAIgMAA.jpg

DI8qMhyW4AAEqo7.jpg

DI8qNZeW0AElMnL.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I would pick Carne all day. Played Carne, Enniscrone and Rosses point recently. Greens in Rosses point were very dissappointing although I did quite well there. You could play Carne a hundred times and see something intriguing each time. I just love the wildness and quite serenity of it. At various stages I was walking to the top of a hill to see flagstick and then when I retreated back to my ball I was picking a cloud in the sky to aim at. Apparently only 40 full time members and the staff are salt of the earth. Enniscrone is a nice course as well. Didn't play well on the day so maybe that is tempering my verdict but I wouldn't say its 100% linksy. Plenty of flat holes and parkland type holes in the middle. Couldn't say the same for Carne. They also have traffic lights on some holes to indicate if people were still on green which was cool.

Don't think there are any holes that are not links in enniscrone. Some flat holes but still links turf and greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Carne or Enniscrone folks?

I'm going to be in the northwest next week and am going to play either Carne or Enniscrone. I’m trying to make up my mind on which one.

I've played Carne three times and have never played Enniscrone. I love Carne, it's hands down my favourite course in the country. I love the challenge and brutality of the course and the feeling that you’re really on the edge of the continent.

I would like to play Enniscrone, but I don’t want it to feel like it’s a box ticking exercise that will leave me wishing I’d played Carne instead!

So, my question to those in the know – is Enniscrone a toned down version of Carne, or is it a completely different course?

Play Enniscrone if only to avoid the issue again.

My preference is Carne, the new 18 is the best 18 in the Country imo but that said, you have to give Enniscrone a go too.

Continuing my links streak, booked both Rosapennas and Portsalon for early next week.
    Portsalon have a €25 slot most days, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, great value

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Laytown and Bettystown.

I love old Links like this one , real clubs , traditional, local to town . Likes of Arklow, Wicklow, Ballybunion, RCD, Portstewart.

It makes a golf course far more integrated with the community , a few drinks , a bit of life, you can walk to the course. I know it probably lessens the views , but golf should be like the GAA club, the Football club. A mix of everyone in the community who just love the game .

Anyway , less of that young man's idealism and on with this great game.

I've played far more courses now and the standards are higher and that innocent naivety is gone. I always am too easy on links courses . But it is just when you walk onto a tee box , elevated and see that sea it removes you from any round .

I know the Celtic Tiger is roaring awake , but 3pm early September - 45 euro, is that taking the piss or what. I'd sort of committed to day off had plans to play it and genuinely was taken aback. I know that is my fault and perhaps I need to adjust my expectations now . But I still think that is too much.

I've never played well on that course , but was 1 over after 11 , it was very still and the holes home there are always hard into the wind. The course has a fantastic run at start with a lovely mix of holes , across, into and over the sand dunes. It changes to a flat rolling links for the turn and then jumps back into the deep stuff again.

The modern ball and clubs have somewhat killed these courses, they are a bit short on still days , you find yourself hitting mid irons at par 5 holes. The greens don't look very links like, but vastly improved on my last visit.

Finished 5 over , terrible last hole on the terrible last hole.

I enjoyed the day , got a bit wet .

I need to only play opens from now on , my own fault . I still think 45 quid is too much - or my expectations have been dated very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

slave1 wrote: »
    Continuing my links streak, booked both Rosapennas and Portsalon for early next week.
    Portsalon have a €25 slot most days, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, great value

I did those three on the hop a few years back. All 3 are great tracks (back 9 in Portsalon lets it down a bit), particularly sandy hills. The 2nd hole in Portsalon is class though, so much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

@Fixed

I don't disagree with anything you've written about L&B.

I love the course ( I would say that) but I agree that €45 is ridiculous as a walk-up price. Saying that, there's an invitational most Wednesdays and it only costs €4 for visitors in that.

The comments on the greens are interesting. A lot of effort has gone in to restoring them with the assistance of STRI to bring them back to a more links-like composition.

The last hole is a bit like the 9th (par 3) - it strongly divides opinion. Few are indifferent towards them, most love or hate them......at the moment I love the 18th because I've birdied it twice on my last two outings!! If I get a 7 on it this morning my view may well swing the other way.

EDIT: for anyone planning a trip to the coast, the greens are likely going to be hollow-tined next week

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

I did those three on the hop a few years back. All 3 are great tracks (back 9 in Portsalon lets it down a bit), particularly sandy hills. The 2nd hole in Portsalon is class though, so much fun.
    Sandy Hills is the stand out of the 3 courses but Portsalon and Old Tom Morris have their moments as well. If you get a bit of nice weather you wont find a nicer spot on the planet.
    p.s. when playing Rosapenna, keep an eye out for the adjacent 36 holes of the St Patricks GC. It went out of business 10 years ago but was bought by Rosapenna and they cut the grass to maintain the holes so they are not lost. Would be amazing complex if and when they ever open it up fully.

Jawgap wrote: »
    @Fixed

I love the course ( I would say that) but I agree that €45 is ridiculous as a walk-up price. Saying that, there's an invitational most Wednesdays and it only costs €4 for visitors in that.

The comments on the greens are interesting. A lot of effort has gone in to restoring them with the assistance of STRI to bring them back to a more links-like composition.

The last hole is a bit like the 9th (par 3) - it strongly divides opinion. Few are indifferent towards them, most love or hate them......at the moment I love the 18th because I've birdied it twice on my last two outings!! If I get a 7 on it this morning my view may well swing the other way.

EDIT: for anyone planning a trip to the coast, the greens are likely going to be hollow-tined next week

I liked 9. well I got a bird on it .

Greens are interesting. I've seen it in corballis too. it could be just the feed they are using makes them very green. So that links colour is gone , are they a bit slow ?

4 euro is equally a joke.

I've no issue with raising the price of these daft invitational events and senior opens. Should you ever be getting a game of golf for under 20 quid , considering facilities, staffing, damage to bunkers and course.

I acknowledge I have to play these courses on certain days due to work. so I'm going to pay more. but 45 euro for that course is expensive.

the 4 euro exemplifies that.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Talking about links golf, there is an offer in JustGolf to play Doonbeg, 2ball for 90 quid
    I am going to bite the bullet, never played there and the course looked fab

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I liked 9. well I got a bird on it .

Greens are interesting. I've seen it in corballis too. it could be just the feed they are using makes them very green. So that links colour is gone , are they a bit slow ?

4 euro is equally a joke.

I've no issue with raising the price of these daft invitational events and senior opens. Should you ever be getting a game of golf for under 20 quid , considering facilities, staffing, damage to bunkers and course.

I acknowledge I have to play these courses on certain days due to work. so I'm going to pay more. but 45 euro for that course is expensive.

the 4 euro exemplifies that.

Yeah the pricing lacks a certain logic. As a commercial proposition it could be better structured, but at the same time it is a club and to be able to walk on as a member and have a reasonable chance of playing a few holes whenever I want is great.

The greens are probably more "linksy" than they have been in a very long time. A significant effort went in to getting rid of the meadow and rye grasses from them and getting the fescues and bents back in. They did get a nice "burn" on them over the summer but it may be they've changed the cutting heights in preparation for autumn maintenance. Not sure when you exactly you played but the lush colour at the moment may be down to the graminicide being applied to kill off the unwanted grass types before they pot seed them.

jarrieta wrote: »
    Talking about links golf, there is an offer in JustGolf to play Doonbeg, 2ball for 90 quid
    I am going to bite the bullet, never played there and the course looked fab

I phoned Doonbeg during that last offer, it was for off season and you had to use mats....

I phoned Doonbeg during that last offer, it was for off season and you had to use mats....

Damn, just bought it. It is from 15th October to 31st March, that is almost half a year playing off mats???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Do they not call them "fake fairways" down in Doonbeg?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Yeah the pricing lacks a certain logic. As a commercial proposition it could be better structured, but at the same time it is a club and to be able to walk on as a member and have a reasonable chance of playing a few holes whenever I want is great.

The greens are probably more "linksy" than they have been in a very long time. A significant effort went in to getting rid of the meadow and rye grasses from them and getting the fescues and bents back in. They did get a nice "burn" on them over the summer but it may be they've changed the cutting heights in preparation for autumn maintenance. Not sure when you exactly you played but the lush colour at the moment may be down to the graminicide being applied to kill off the unwanted grass types before they pot seed them.

I played during July and thought the greens were very "Linksy". Nicely scorched up and fast as you like.

I got a Golf Now special for €20 a head for a 3 ball and I wouldn't see myself paying too much more than that for a round there.

The 18th is a terrible hole!

Portsalon and Rosapennas from Monday/Tuesday, just a few passing showers, escaped any bad stuff, very windy mind...

DJd8PfvXgAA_RSe.jpg

DJd8QpFWAAAkvCN.jpg

DJjma9cW0AAzA6p.jpg

DJjmdBxX0AAQe_Q.jpg

DJjmcGUWAAABRsU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

@Fixed

Wednesday invitational is €4, plus €16 fee, so €20 total. €4 comes off the members card who is booked in as a guest. €16 paid in the pro shop. I hope you haven't just being paying €4!

I think the reasoning behind the €45 green fee is to attract foreign
    visitors who also play Baltray and seapoint. Cheaper price = inferior course. €45 is nothing to their target market, in fact it's €65 on BRS. But a burger should be thrown in, get them into the bar. Also, I've seen groups of guys playing who don't give a **** about sandbags and divots, pitch marks, or driving buggies at full pelt (although I've seen plenty of members do the same!)The price keeps the messers out imho.

Only €15 with a member which is great value. It's open all year round and never gets soggy let alone waterlogged.

lads any good recommendations for any top links events coming up on a Friday in October.

will travel and stay over the Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

A good spin up but Ballyliffin do Saturday opens from October and also Fridays from November on. Played the Old course last October, think it was €25(or €35). They set me up with a few members and was a great day out. Very friendly place.

They alternate course week to week, hope to go back for Glashedy this year, but price may go up now with the Irish Open??

http://www.ballyliffingolfclub.com/fixtures_list/

martinkop wrote: »
    A good spin up but Ballyliffin do Saturday opens from October and also Fridays from November on. Played the Old course last October, think it was €25(or €35). They set me up with a few members and was a great day out. Very friendly place.

They alternate course week to week, hope to go back for Glashedy this year, but price may go up now with the Irish Open??

http://www.ballyliffingolfclub.com/fixtures_list/

You can check the rates in golfnet.ie, currently at 40E on Saturdays (checked the 14th October) for the Old

Would love to play there before the Irish Open

• Advertisement

Dinner on, brownie points in the bag, off to tick Portstewart and Castlerock off the list tomorrow, weather looks good too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Dinner on, brownie points in the bag, off to tick Portstewart and Castlerock off the list tomorrow, weather looks good too

Try to play the 9-hole Bann course at Castlerock, too. Only one bunker on the course and one of the best par fives you'll play.

Enjoy

great stuff .

You've a great other 1/2.

Castlerock from the afternoon...

DKCNdQ-XUAEKfud.jpg

DKCNeYrXoAEo6Fp.jpg

DKCNfV6WAAEwi7h.jpg

and the pure classy Portstewart from yesterday morning, glorious weather from the get go

DKAUX4gW0AAO2O-.jpg

DKAUZHTWAAAUeEV.jpg

DKAUaM6XoAEQVz0.jpg

DKAUbPEWAAAfL0i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Castlerock from the afternoon...

DKCNdQ-XUAEKfud.jpg

DKCNeYrXoAEo6Fp.jpg

DKCNfV6WAAEwi7h.jpg

and the pure classy Portstewart from yesterday morning, glorious weather from the get go

DKAUX4gW0AAO2O-.jpg

DKAUZHTWAAAUeEV.jpg

DKAUaM6XoAEQVz0.jpg

DKAUbPEWAAAfL0i.jpg

Peachy weather... I still say that this time of year is one of the best times to play golf. Love that pic of Portstewart's 1st, straight back at the sun.

How did you play?

Peachy weather... I still say that this time of year is one of the best times to play golf. Love that pic of Portstewart's 1st, straight back at the sun.

How did you play?

Yeah, delighted with that shot, captures some tyre tracks in the distance too (9th), not bad from a phone

Grand, 33pts in PS and the tees were well back, next to the blues in most cases (but not on back blues tees if you follow me), it was the putting really, I had 35putts, strange round as I have v few pars and ended up with 16 two pointers, a one pointer and a scratch (double on the par 3 6th). Off 14.

Castlerock was different, 34pts, 33putts and a horrible stretch on 7/8 where we were called through on index one and three and I rushed and lost my only two balls of the day, then I bogeyed the par 3 9th so 2 points in three holes, bunkers tough in CR, v deep and hard to get a backswing at.
    They are closing most of the greens very shortly on what looks like extensive remodeling and renovation of 8/9 holes.
    Didn't get to play the Bann course, had 36 holes done already and a 4hr+ drive so needed to skip.
    Will be back though, want to play PS both courses and the 27 at CR.
    Only one more links outing for me this year and then I will gladly put the clubs in storage, finishing will long day at Waterville and Cahsen

great stuff .

You've a great other 1/2.

Yeah, I'm on the border of pushing it at the minute but as they say, better to seek forgiveness than permission

• Registered Users Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yeah, I'm on the border of pushing it at the minute but as they say, better to seek forgiveness than permission

"Just popping out for some milk love"

*12 hours later*

Slave arrives back with a pint from Donegal Creameries.

Waterville

DKo2pe0XcAAEUKg.jpg

DKo2qUyXkAAr_ey.jpg

DKo2rNcW4AAQek5.jpg

Ballybunion Cashen, way underrated IMHO

DKo3gqbWsAA-37q.jpg

DKo3hsgX0AAs8bN.jpg

DKo3kk-W4AAHLd7.jpg

• Advertisement

Portmarnock this AM, place in super condition...

DK5fqW9W0AA59--.jpg

DK5fq_-XUAE_2LG.jpg

DK5frnAXkAY6IFC.jpg

DK5fsNCXcAADRNz.jpg

Advertisement