Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

European is a fantastic course. Not a weak hole on it. I dislike the 7th and the 18th but neither are poor holes. The 4th, 8th, 11th and 17th are unbelievably good golf holes, and thats aside from 12 13 and 15 by the sea. Ruddy himself is proud but sufferable. Same cant be said of Jnr, one of them anyway.

Co Down is a better course but Id argue it has at least 1 weak hole whereas the European doesnt have any. Port links is very pleasant and manicured but its not in the same league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Royal Portrush courses from Thursday and Friday.
    The courses have just got their new yardage books, the Valley has 5 new holes and Dunluce course is losing its 17th and 18th to make way for the tented village, in return it has a new par 5 (pictured below) and par 4, parts of which were stole from the Valley course.
    I played the 17th and 18th (tee boxes going soon and doubt they will be in play for much longer) and in all honesty they were the two weakest holes on the course and the two replacements are far superior, the par 5 in particular so the course has only got better, just a shame to lose that mammoth bunker (pictured) from the par 5 17th but there's a huge bunker now on the new par 5 so they kinda kept that theme.
    There's going to be some great holes for the Open, both the lad I was playing with and I were driving well and neither made it over the rough stuff on the par 3 17th never mind reaching the green, it was 208 from the whites straight into strong wind, pretty much impossible for most amateurs, I had an 8!

The new par 5 and that bunker on the RHS is huge
    DLe5LibW0AEtqNb.jpg

DLe5K9EXkAcaFLe.jpg

DLe5L99UQAAizNu.jpg

Old 17th par 5 bunker on RHS from the drive, yer mans ball was plugged right at the top of the bunker
    DLe5MjTVYAA3Wg7.jpg

Few shots from the Valley course

New par 3 17th using one of the original greens from the 1800's
    DLYwLVMXUAAmAt5.jpg

DLYwNl0W4AAdHTl.jpg

With just RCD and Doongeg to play for me Royal Portrush is tops by a country mile.
    IMHO

1. Royal Portrush Dunluce
    2. Lahinch
    3. Ballybunion Cashen
    4. Carne
    5. Tralee
    6. Enniscrone
    7. Portstewart
    8. Ballybunion Old
    9. The Island
    10. Waterville

Sorry, no Baltray, European, Portmarnock or Sligo, just not in my personal top 10.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

slave1 wrote: »
    Royal Portrush courses from Thursday and Friday.
    The courses have just got their new yardage books, the Valley has 5 new holes and Dunluce course is losing its 17th and 18th to make way for the tented village, in return it has a new par 5 (pictured below) and par 4, parts of which were stole from the Valley course.
    I played the 17th and 18th (tee boxes going soon and doubt they will be in play for much longer) and in all honesty they were the two weakest holes on the course and the two replacements are far superior, the par 5 in particular so the course has only got better, just a shame to lose that mammoth bunker (pictured) from the par 5 17th but there's a huge bunker now on the new par 5 so they kinda kept that theme.
    There's going to be some great holes for the Open, both the lad I was playing with and I were driving well and neither made it over the rough stuff on the par 3 17th never mind reaching the green, it was 208 from the whites straight into strong wind, pretty much impossible for most amateurs, I had an 8!

The new par 5 and that bunker on the RHS is huge
    DLe5LibW0AEtqNb.jpg

DLe5K9EXkAcaFLe.jpg

DLe5L99UQAAizNu.jpg

Old 17th par 5 bunker on RHS from the drive, yer mans ball was plugged right at the top of the bunker
    DLe5MjTVYAA3Wg7.jpg

Few shots from the Valley course

New par 3 17th using one of the original greens from the 1800's
    DLYwLVMXUAAmAt5.jpg

DLYwNl0W4AAdHTl.jpg

With just RCD and Doongeg to play for me Royal Portrush is tops by a country mile.
    IMHO

1. Royal Portrush Dunluce
    2. Lahinch
    3. Ballybunion Cashen
    4. Carne
    5. Tralee
    6. Enniscrone
    7. Portstewart
    8. Ballybunion Old
    9. The Island
    10. Waterville

Sorry, no Baltray, European, Portmarnock or Sligo, just not in my personal top 10.

What was it about Cashen that you would have it ahead of the old course in Ballybunion? Only reason I'm asking is I got a gift voucher for my Birthday recently and I can play the old in early April for €100 or play cashen for €50. Any feedback would be appreciated as I have never played either.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    What was it about Cashen that you would have it ahead of the old course in Ballybunion? Only reason I'm asking is I got a gift voucher for my Birthday recently and I can play the old in early April for €100 or play cashen for €50. Any feedback would be appreciated as I have never played either.

I'd say I'm pretty unique in picking Cashen over Old, I just like the blindness, up and downs and crazy perched greens. Go for the Old, especially with €50 of a price difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

The par 3s in the Cashen are easily amongst the best in the country. Couple of interesting holes early but from 7 or 8 onwards, it's fairly spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Heading up to play the Great Northern Links Challenge this week.
    Portstewart on Wed, Portrush on Thurs and Ballyliffin on Friday. :D:D

Hopefully get somewhat of a dry week......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Heading up to play the Great Northern Links Challenge this week.
    Portstewart on Wed, Portrush on Thurs and Ballyliffin on Friday. :D:D

Hopefully get somewhat of a dry week......

Enjoy playing myself, starting with Portrush. Weather looks OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

• Registered Users Posts: 27 keanecm

If you are going to Ballybunion and your contemplating the Old Course Vs Cashen Course - No brainer! The Old Course by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

My 3rd time playing Enniscronne. I like it more and more every time I play. Some people don't like holes 5, 6 & 7 as they are flat and seem out of keeping with the high sand dunes. For me they are a nice contrast. Good holes in their own right but also a nice change of pace. I find 12 and 13 a bit tricked up, but I can imagine that there lots of people who think them fantastic. There are some really wonderful holes with 9, 10, 15, 16 & 17 highlights for me.
    Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Playing Baltray Friday, any hole by hole guide for amateurs?Here its in great nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

kopkidda wrote: »
    Playing Baltray Friday, any hole by hole guide for amateurs?Here its in great nick.

I don't want to set your expectations too high (just in case) but for me 3 to 7 are THE finest stretch of holes in the entire country.

12 to 16 aren't far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I don't want to set your expectations too high (just in case) but for me 3 to 7 are THE finest stretch of holes in the entire country.

An overrated track compared to RCD, Enniscrone etc. But maybe take it for granted being a local. All that land and not one view of the sea.

Haven't played it since August but id imagine the place has been forked in the last 3 weeks, last time it was in bits for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Hoboo wrote: »
    An overrated track compared to RCD, Enniscrone etc. But maybe take it for granted being a local. All that land and not one view of the sea.

Haven't played it since August but id imagine the place has been forked in the last 3 weeks, last time it was in bits for weeks.

In fairness the vast majority of courses pale in comparison to RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

kopkidda wrote: »

Finest in the Country................I have to say I'm surprised by that assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

ThunderCat wrote: »

Its certainly up there. He did say the finest stretch in the country :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Hoboo wrote: »
    Its certainly up there. He did say the finest stretch in the country :eek:

That's true. In fairness holes 3-7 on RCD aren't too shabby! I know people rave about the 9th and rightly so but I think the 8th hole might be my favourite. Devilish run offs around that green.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

ThunderCat wrote: »

Have to agree. Very underwhelmed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Booked into Rosapena Sandy Hills for middle of november. Never played it before.

Open Scramble. €25 a head and includes dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Playing Ballyliffin - Glashedy tomorrow. First timer, ant tips on how to approach? Is it as tough as some say. What tees would ye recommend for 17 handicapper?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Played it 2 weeks ago off the whites. A lot of the bunkers will grab your ball from 10 to 15 yards away. Fortunately or not the majority of them are GUR so you will get a free drop. Keep it on the fairways and you should have no trouble. Bring your camera as some of the views are magnificent. Decent pro shop also and some of the prices are very reasonable. Don't be afraid to haggle. Not sure how it will do with the Irish Open but it needs wind and rain or the pros will do a Portstewart on it. Having only the one entrance and one exit will create problems, but I'm sure they've thought of that. Would definitely go back tomorrow. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Played Dooks last weekend, in great condition and summer rules too. Perks of links golf at this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Played Baltray today in one of the nicest November days I can remember. Course is in the kind of shape you’d expect in summer.

Shot a gross 8 over which should been about 4 over. Lovely course and lovely people. Des Smith was practicing on the Range and was talking to everyone.

Back 9 very links like and front less so. €80 highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Finally got to play The Island today on a perfect November day.

It’s gone straight to no.1 in the top courses I’ve played (circa 120 in Ireland).

Apart from the 9th (which although bland to look at, has superb bunkering), every hole is outstanding.

—-

Things I don’t understand no.1. There was a presentation in the lobby for a proposed new layout for the course.

Why in God’s name would anyone want to go and **** with what is perfection?

What is it they think they can achieve?

Why spend this money????

—-

Things I don’t understand no.2.

I’m from County Down. I’m genuinely proud of RCD.

But RCD simply just isn’t as exciting, fun, or consistently good as The Island. Be frank and honest with yourself about how you feel after the 14th when playing at RCD and you can only reach the same conclusion.

Okay RCD’s conditioning is a notch higher (10/10 vs 9/10). But apart from that, is Slieve Donard really that impressive? Really? Because I can’t work this one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Any tips for making my way around rosapena sandy hills tomorrow?

And at a long shot, we have a spare space if there's any of the boards.ie faithful from the north west looking to game. €25 full scramble with dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

thewobbler wrote: »
    —-

Things I don’t understand no.1. There was a presentation in the lobby for a proposed new layout for the course.

Why in God’s name would anyone want to go and **** with what is perfection?

What is it they think they can achieve?

Why spend this money????

This is a highly contentious issue in the club at the moment. I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve either. Theres a problem with the house on the right as you drive in, and some will say that opening with 8 par 4's is not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Played Corballis yesterday greens in great nick course nice and dry , seen a few hardybucks in short sleeves , a guy wearing shorts and another nutjob out having a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

played carne on Saturday. I have always loved it but the greens were always at fault when I played before. No such issue on Saturday as they were the best I have seen since my first visit 10 years ago.

• Advertisement

Carne is just class, love the par 3's, real quiet when I played there, not a sinner so I played all the par 3's from every available tee box to test them all out, bliss

Advertisement