Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

benny79 wrote: »
    Think the winter rate in The European is €60 Fix dont know about opens

Not so sure- looks like they are sticking to the 120 outside of opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

carq wrote: »

If you ring let them know you are Irish you will get that rate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Think they have a 60 quid GUI rate as well

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

mike12 wrote: »
    Think they have a 60 quid GUI rate as well

Any idea what day they have opens? They don’t seem to have a BRS, how do you book in or look at a timesheet?

davegilly wrote: »
    Any idea what day they have opens? They don’t seem to have a BRS, how do you book in or look at a timesheet?

Their opens normally appear on golfnet

• Advertisement

Their opens normally appear on golfnet

Thanks - I see they are listed for Fri/Sat/Sun for the next few weeks at €60!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I thought they had Snr Opens midweek, maybe that's later in the year, not sure how much though?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

They have GUI opens but not a GUI rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Rosapenna 36 hole scratch up, 1st saturday in april. €50 including food

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was looking at the start of this thread from 6 years ago and the value that was out there was unreal to unrealistic. Sadly it seems it is getting harder and harder to find value for the big courses. Only chance is an invite, or if you are in the area a particular week of an open or take time off work for the various challenges.

Last few years I was saving money - so haven't been doing road trips to knock off the Links list. I've effectively done the east coast. Parts of North , Donegal and Kerry remain. I'm tipping away at them, and hope to push it a bit more in next year or two. Thanks to Boards golf society and a few family holidays , I have hit Donegal and Kerry at last , and I'm in a mind to go up there for 4/5 days and just get as many done as possible at some point.

Anyway - to get myself moving again. I looked up an Open on a Links, and to my pleasant surprise Seapoint had one. Any course I ever go to in Louth , you can't beat the friendliness of the people and staff there. Sorted me out at short notice and 32 euro - great stuff.

I had actaully played Seapoint a long long time ago. A time I wouldn't have dreamt of playing as many course as I have played in the interim period. When you have played most of the big championship links - you are looking at these course in a different light. In fact, in Seapoint you are actaully looking at Baltray in great fondness in the same winter light.

But........I just love links golf. Courses considered below the top tier , I still love. Arklow, Corballis, Laytown, Rosslare, Sutton. I can't put my finger on it. It is just the sea, the sound, the wildness, the isolation, the ground, the irregularity of it all. Even if not considered great, I enjoy the day.

Sorry , back to the golf and course. I no longer look at these things as if they are some sort of astral projection. It was too cold to be outer body :p:D

I do recall any talk of Seapoint is often about , how the front 9 is not Links like at all. There is no doubt , the look of the holes, the feel, the actual sod. Is more damp and dark and there are holes that wouldn't be out of place in Carton House. But I liked many of them. Then the back nine is a fantastic run of holes, with different shapes , sizes and a fantastic final coastal run. The final coastal run is as good as any on the east.

It was a tough, cold, winter day and it needed good golf to get anywhere near 36 pts. I had 33 myself (off 6 now). But on a different day you feel the course would be a course you could clock up a serious score. But the day in it , we had a 3 club wind and snow for 2 holes - always a strange sight on a course.

So - a great day on a different course. I enjoyed the challenge. I realized how much I missed my trips to new links courses. The roads you drive down with no other reason but to find a course in the middle of nowhere.

I'm trying to get back playing a decent level of golf - but God this game is tough.

So back on the road, back battling this game and trying to find the perfect course and round. Or perhaps, it is already there and already done.

What a game.
    What a country we have for golf.

• Advertisement

What's the story with the Island, hear that they have to build 6 new holes.
    Anyone know what holes are being rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

What's the story with the Island, hear that they have to build 6 new holes.
    Anyone know what holes are being rebuilt.

I don't know the layout of the course but you can see from Corballis onto a good bit of the island and there is a significant amount of work going on. Plenty of earth moving equipment, a few trees and hedges pulled out of it already

had heard they were lining up the irish open in a few years

willabur wrote: »
    I don't know the layout of the course but you can see from Corballis onto a good bit of the island and there is a significant amount of work going on. Plenty of earth moving equipment, a few trees and hedges pulled out of it already

I think most of the work is around the end of the front 9. I think the current 9th hole is gone and possibly the 8th as well or changed. There is to be a new short game area where the 9th was I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Any Other opens on east coast this time of year ?
    Or even GUI / Winter Rate

The Island
    Arklow
    Laytown
    Royal Dublin

Do Baltray have anything - or is that another dream on one.

Anywhere else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The Island
    Arklow
    Laytown
    Royal Dublin

Anywhere else ?

Arklow have an open this Friday. Qualifying stableford. €25.

The Island
    Arklow
    Laytown
    Royal Dublin

Anywhere else ?

European used to and maybe seapoint.
    Greenore have a open every tuesday I think.
    Portmarnock have regular opens on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

European used to and maybe seapoint.
    Greenore have a open every tuesday I think.
    Portmarnock have regular opens on a Saturday

Just so as not to get people's hopes up, that should read Portmarnock Links, not Portmarnock

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

Just so as not to get people's hopes up, that should read Portmarnock Links, not Portmarnock

Hell would freeze over before those boys would lower themselves to such

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

willabur wrote: »

Article about it today. One of my favourite courses so hopefully get the opportunity soon to play it!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/new-holes-at-the-island-can-take-it-to-the-next-level-1.4192504

frink wrote: »
    Article about it today. One of my favourite courses so hopefully get the opportunity soon to play it!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/new-holes-at-the-island-can-take-it-to-the-next-level-1.4192504
    Are there ever opens or an open week or a gui rate to play this place do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

davegilly wrote: »
    Are there ever opens or an open week or a gui rate to play this place do you know?

I don't think they do. I've never seen one anyway. I've only played it as part of team matches for other clubs

frink wrote: »
    I don't think they do. I've never seen one anyway. I've only played it as part of team matches for other clubs

They usually have a couple of team charity events every year hard to find them and have to be quick to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,364 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Looking to try and get around to all links courses in the country as it seems travel abroad wont happen to soon. Hoping to get to 1 or 2 in wicklow shortly (I can only think of 2 there, are there any others outside of arklow and European?). Does anyone know/think the weekly open comps will be back on at end of month/early july?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Mushy wrote: »
    Looking to try and get around to all links courses in the country as it seems travel abroad wont happen to soon. Hoping to get to 1 or 2 in wicklow shortly (I can only think of 2 there, are there any others outside of arklow and European?). Does anyone know/think the weekly open comps will be back on at end of month/early july?

They're the only two in wicklow.

Any value to be had around the country with the lack of americans this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Any value to be had around the country with the lack of americans this summer?

€90 open days in Old Head for GUI and ILGU members
    €130 for non comp days
    Might be of interest to those who haven't played it

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

golfguy1 wrote: »
    €130 for non comp days
    So you don’t need to be GUI for the €130 offer?

So you don’t need to be GUI for the €130 offer?

You do. It is their gui/ILGU rate for non competition days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

golfguy1 wrote: »
    €130 for non comp days

Cheers.
    Do you need to call to find out about this? They don't have much info on their website apart from a form that you can fill in and they get back to you I assume?
    When are the open days?

• Advertisement

BoldReason wrote: »
    Cheers.
    Do you need to call to find out about this? They don't have much info on their website apart from a form that you can fill in and they get back to you I assume?
    When are the open days?

I saw it in Facebook. I sent them an email and they sent out dates of comps

Advertisement