Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Asking for a friend.

It is ok to like blow out bunkers and the big dramatic dunes ? :D

Yes, you swine.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Asking for a friend.

It is ok to like blow out bunkers and the big dramatic dunes ? :D

Absolutely. My point being that with the advent of social media, golf has become more about visuals. Great courses are first and foremost about great golf holes and routings. Good views / visuals are just an added bonus.

One other note: Earlier in this thread, someone shrewdly said that you couldn’t compare us to the ultra-private, expensive American market because Irish golf is supposed to be accessible whereas American golf is built on elitism.

True, but the old-money clubs in Ireland were never Everyman clubs. They were always built by and for the professional classes. If you want a better target, then the new-money clubs that base themselves on the private American model are the ones that are doing more damage to the Everyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

RE : the above

Any sign of a Drop for Adare Manor ?
    Indeed has anyone here played it since it has reopened?

EDIT - seems not - 470 EU when mandatory caddie fee is included.
    395 EU in the low season.

Tip not incleded.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Absolutely. My point being that with the advent of social media, golf has become more about visuals. Great courses are first and foremost about great golf holes and routings. Good views / visuals are just an added bonus.

One other note: Earlier in this thread, someone shrewdly said that you couldn’t compare us to the ultra-private, expensive American market because Irish golf is supposed to be accessible whereas American golf is built on elitism.

True, but the old-money clubs in Ireland were never Everyman clubs. They were always built by and for the professional classes. If you want a better target, then the new-money clubs that base themselves on the private American model are the ones that are doing more damage to the Everyman.

On the course design front.

I've a serious weakness for the visuals. But I do think that these contribute to a great golf hole.

They enable an elevated tee shot - one of my favorite shots in golf.
    Also when done well , you can create very interesting doglegs and variations in height on the hole. Run from 11 in Enniscrone - is probably my favorite run in golf.

I know it seems to be a love hate course - but I love RCD.

I accept this is rather unusual - but I also like a blind hole, there is an element of imagination and visualization required that I love in a golf shot. I'm not the most technical of golfers - more visual.

When I started out playing all the links I could - I didn't think I would like some of the flatter courses - but as the years went by they grew on me. The bunker placement , the way greens can have run offs , making the hole.

Interesting placed drains you see around some of the Irish courses are also another feature (a bit like the one you see on the 1st in St Andrews) - they can make a hole.

People do not rate Royal Dublin , but when I played it a few times - I really liked the way the wind alters the course, the traditional in and out layout, the soft channels on the east side of the course, the raised greens , the risk reward par 5s. It grew on me. A course you could score well on one day - and have a nightmare the next. I seen the very same thing , with some of the best players in Europe at the Irish Amateur there.

I must play Lahinch and Ballybunion again soon - they are probably near my top in the country.

The sad thing about most of these places - you need to play them nearer to 5 times , before you know what you are doing. Then you still see something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The sad thing about most of these places - you need to play them nearer to 5 times , before you know what you are doing. Then you still see something new.

Agree with this, played Strandhill last week for the first time and would love to have another go at it as I know I would enjoy it more the second time.

But to play Lahinch 5 times would cost you a hell of a lot :eek:
    I've walked around it at the Irish open last year so at least I have some idea of the course. Would love to play it but I don't think I will get to anytime soon :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

Small edit but the open fee for enniscrone is 45 euro, not 35

https://www.brsgolf.com/enniscrone/opens_home.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

We're looking for a fourth to join us (lad dropped out) in Carne for their Wild Atlantic Dunes Challenge.

Its €100 for three days of golf, 220 with a hotel (for two nights).
    http://www.carnegolflinks.com/wild-atlantic-dunes-challenge/

Takes place 24-26 August.

Drop me a pm if interested.

Any good rate for The Island - GUI or Open ?

See some new holes on the layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Any good rate for The Island - GUI or Open ?

See some new holes on the layout.

They have opened it up to GUI members at €130. No open comps, there is a member /guest tourney on Wednesdays (to 3pm) and on some bank holidays.

No appetite for an open comp from the committees at the moment, which is very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Open Week in Ballyliffin next week. €40 to play old and €80 for Glasheedy. Anyone ever play them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Open Week in Ballyliffin next week. €40 to play old and €80 for Glasheedy. Anyone ever play them?

Played Glasheedy before irish open a few years ago, personally I think there are better courses out there but others seem to like it. I'd rather play baltray, portmarnock links etc.
    Heard good things about rosapenna too which is up that area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Are you sure it's €80 for Glashedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Yeah, usually same price for both courses for a comp. Maybe he's playing glashedy in normal play, no comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Are you sure it's €80 for Glashedy?

Yeah the Glashedy one is not an open day but later on in the week it is hence the higher price I was quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Played the old recently.
    fair test and not too penal - plenty of opportunity to find the ball when it ends up in the rough.
    Lovely spot

Great day out at Rosses Point. Weather perfect, golf not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Friday the 21st Seapoint have a open off the back stakes, there is worse ways to part with 30quid imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Great day out at Rosses Point. Weather perfect, golf not so much.

3 wood??? The 10th is a lovely inviting tee shot that's begging to be smacked way down there (or onto the 11th fairway if a little over exuberant!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭redhill

Does Baltray have a GUI rate at all?
    they’ve a few opens coming up but on days I can’t make it

redhill wrote: »

Thanks . Didn't know they were doing opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

redhill wrote: »

€100 is the GUI rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Open Singles Friday 21st
    Seapoint, Co. Louth.
    The very very back tees........

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Open Singles Friday 21st
    Seapoint, Co. Louth.
    The very very back tees........

Yeah, still thinking about whether to go or not, as I am not a big hitter... But might be worth the craic... Anyone thinking of going? (PS: I don't work on Fridays, so it is a good opportunity for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

jarrieta wrote: »
    Yeah, still thinking about whether to go or not, as I am not a big hitter... But might be worth the craic... Anyone thinking of going? (PS: I don't work on Fridays, so it is a good opportunity for me)

Thinking about it, yes

3 wood??? The 10th is a lovely inviting tee shot that's begging to be smacked way down there (or onto the 11th fairway if a little over exuberant!!!)

was with the wind and was fighting a hook with driver.

50degree got me home. Huge green and my watch was miles off, is that a recent change?

My 23 handicap partner birdied 10 and parred 11 for 8 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

was with the wind and was fighting a hook with driver.

50degree got me home. Huge green and my watch was miles off, is that a recent change?

My 23 handicap partner birdied 10 and parred 11 for 8 points!

7 shots for those two holes is pretty good, no matter what your handicap is.

10th green was extended a couple of years ago. It's now approx 60 yds from front to back (about 2/3 of current green is new: front 1/3 is the original).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

Having a proper bucket list week of golf

Portmarnock last week
    Enniscrone for an open tomorrow
    Then my #1 on the bucket list Carne on Friday. I'll be on my own but the weather looks like it'll be perfect. Has anyone played carne recently? With the new layout is it a pain in the ass to find your way from green to the next tee?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

willabur wrote: »

Portmarnock last week
    Then my #1 on the bucket list Carne on Friday. I'll be on my own but the weather looks like it'll be perfect. Has anyone played carne recently? With the new layout is it a pain in the ass to find your way from green to the next tee?

This is the same list as me for this year. Played Portmarnock few weeks ago and going to Enniscrone and Carne in September.
    I watched No Laying Up at Carne and it looks incredible. Let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

willabur wrote: »

Portmarnock last week

Played it a couple of weeks ago. Its easy enough to find your way around. If its busy you can get caught up on the change over between the nines. Which course are you playing?

Old 18 have the far better greens than the Kilmore 9, but Kilmore 9 are nice holes IMO.

Enniscrone a great course, enjoy :)

• Advertisement

Anyone want to write a recent review of Portmarnock - played it about 4 years ago.

Great traditional layout - with some great holes and green complexes - but doesn't stick out in my mind versus say Enniscrone or The Island.

Even Baltray gets me more excited ?

Advertisement