Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

Anyone want to write a recent review of Portmarnock - played it about 4 years ago.

Great traditional layout - with some great holes and green complexes - but doesn't stick out in my mind versus say Enniscrone or The Island.

Even Baltray gets me more excited ?

I can write up my experience for you.
    We played the Red and Yellow 9s which is front 9 of the main 18 and then the yellow 9. A few lads were a bit peeved about not playing the main 18 as a whole but I didn't mind.

Overall I really liked the course. I played well, especially on the yellow 9 where i had 23 points coming back in. I was +2 I think gross which always adds to the enjoyment. I think the course is very fair with well positioned bunkers and greens that are not too fast and for the most part were not tricked up. A few of them were like turtle shells which made approach shots tricky to hold and if you are short sided then good luck

First hole skirts along the water. It was super windy straight into the face which can sometimes make be slice the ball so I aimed right and shot right into the rough on the left hand side. Managed to get on in two with a good hybrid to the back of the green.

2 and 3 I felt were similar to the first into the wind with trouble down the right.
    4 is a beautiful hole with what looks like an unmissable fairway (I missed it left). 5 is a blind tee shot with the pool beg chimneys your line off the tee. I really got the driver going at this stage. Pretty much hit every fairway on the way around. Including a wind assisted 330 yard drive on 9

Yellow 9 I felt played alot more like the Portmarnock Hotel Links. It felt like a newer layout with a few more tricks about it. Still really loved it. Par 3 third hole especially is a lovely hole to regard, small target with danger everywhere. Managed to get up and down from the rough on the left. The driveable par 4 4th was a mind melt, played a really nice 5iron to 60 yards back. Hit what I thought was a perfect 56 which bounced on the fringe and then skipped forward off the end of the green. Ended up making bogey

5th a par 5 whcih I got on in two but 3 putted

7 is a really nice par 5 which is a hole you have to play in 3 shots, it is phyically broken up into three distinct shots as you look at it for the first time. Lots of fun to play.

8 is a par 3 into a strong wind, I was short with a 5 iron but a good chip and putt allowed me to close out our 4ball match.

Last hole is a par 5 which gets narrower the further you get, I left my approach out on the right but managed to get up and down for a nice par which I was very happy with as our whole group had gathered to watch it.

Overall - really nice experience. Would I pay the money to play it, almost certainly not. I would rank Ballybunion ahead of it purely down to the drama of the course. Portmarnock probably a fairer test of golf if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I would be disappointed to go out and not play the Championship course.

I would put Ballybunion ahead of it too. But - I'm more into the West coast to be honest.

I know this is almost like
    "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"

It is the most overrated course I ever played - St Andrews a bit like that, but St Andrews makes up for it with location, real history and integration with the town, welcome and community.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

St. Andrews is not over-rated.

Strategy aplenty, brilliant greens and almost perfect ground contours, not to mention bunkering to make you think. 11 to 17 maybe the best 7 hole stretch in golf.

Blue 9 at Portmarnock is the pick of the three with the Red next; but the Yellow isn’t too far behind the other two. Just doesn’t have quite the same excellent detailing as the older 18.

I would be disappointed to go out and not play the Championship course.

I would put Ballybunion ahead of it too. But - I'm more into the West coast to be honest.

I know this is almost like
    "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"

It is the most overrated course I ever played - St Andrews a bit like that, but St Andrews makes up for it with location, real history and integration with the town, welcome and community.

I didn't pay for the round so its hard to be disappointed. To be honest I didn't even know there was another 9 holes until someone said it on the 1st tee.
    Its a funny one, I get what you are saying when you say that it is over rated. I would have Ballybunion ahead of it every day of the week - I love the sheer drama of both of those courses. But that said the layout, the bunkering and the green complexes in portmarnock are top class. They make sense, they are put in places to catch the errant shot. They force you to think about where you need to put the ball etc. WOuld love to get another crack at it but I would be happy enough for it to be another interclub kinda jobbie

St. Andrews is not over-rated.

Strategy aplenty, brilliant greens and almost perfect ground contours, not to mention bunkering to make you think. 11 to 17 maybe the best 7 hole stretch in golf.

Blue 9 at Portmarnock is the pick of the three with the Red next; but the Yellow isn’t too far behind the other two. Just doesn’t have quite the same excellent detailing as the older 18.

Ok - Overrated is probably unrealistic - as it ranks basically in top 3/4 in any list out there (in the world).

I personally prefer other courses. And, I'm not alone in thinking the course isn't the prettiest or has the best holes.

The shared greens and at times silly pins and gimmicks are not for everyone.

I personally think golfers are just over enamored with the experience , the history and just being there.

By the way - I'm not a total kill joy , and loved every second of all that.

But a lot of very boring , silly and poor holes (1 and 18 to start) - that in the minds of others these are signature holes worth the journey.

Then to add to the mess - the shared greens , the 16 people on the one green -yes 16 , is also daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Ok - Overrated is probably unrealistic - as it ranks basically in top 3/4 in any list out there (in the world).

I personally prefer other courses. And, I'm not alone in thinking the course isn't the prettiest or has the best holes.

The shared greens and at times silly pins and gimmicks are not for everyone.

I personally think golfers are just over enamored with the experience , the history and just being there.

By the way - I'm not a total kill joy , and loved every second of all that.

But a lot of very boring , silly and poor holes (1 and 18 to start) - that in the minds of others these are signature holes worth the journey.

Then to add to the mess - the shared greens , the 16 people on the one green -yes 16 , is also daft.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before on here.

But it would be a strange detachment from human (and technological) evolution if St Andrews - 400 odd years after its land lies as it fell, and 150 odd years after its current routing was largely settled upon - really was the benchmark of golf design.

That’s before you get into its oddities like the series of double greens.

What I’m basically getting at is that would not be an affront to 150 years of learning, observation, ingenuity, understanding, of people who’ve dedicated their lives to golf architecture, that they can’t come close to something that just seemed to fall in by accident?

Over the years I’ve come around to the purist’s thinking. I’m much more appreciative of “rolling parklands” compared to “‘manicured parklands” than I was a decade ago. SimIlarly I’m more appreciative of strategic links compared to rollercoaster links.

But I would tend to agree with Fixd’s overall point. Some courses in this world, particularly those from the 19th century, are overweighted for their positives so much that it seems improper to point out their weaknesses. More modern courses usually have the polar reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

willabur wrote: »
    Having a proper bucket list week of golf

Portmarnock last week
    Enniscrone for an open tomorrow
    Then my #1 on the bucket list Carne on Friday. I'll be on my own but the weather looks like it'll be perfect. Has anyone played carne recently? With the new layout is it a pain in the ass to find your way from green to the next tee?

Really no problem. The only tricky bit for me was teeing off on hole 10 of wild Atlantic Dunes', you need to Aim for the middle fairway of the 3, it has a white stone on the floor. If you don't realise that you might wonder where you are meant to be going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Lucky enough to get 27 holes in on holiday in Donegal, Rosapenna Sandy Hills, Portsalon and 9 at Cruit Island.

Have played Sandy Hills a couple of time previously and it was better than I remembered. A Pat Ruddy design, it has some striking similarities to his baby, The European Club - strong muscular golf holes taking advantage of the huge dunes flanked by insanely penal rough. You walk off feeling a bit battered and bruised, a really tough challenge to put any kind of a score together.

Portsalon by contrast is a joy, especially the front 9 where most of the fairways are flanked by lovely rolling dunes - first time out and was really impressed. The back 9 moves away from the sea and is quirky and less traditionally feeling links but still has some interesting holes.

First time at Cruit and it’s a quirky 9 with some great holes hitting over cliffs and ravines but the real stars are the views from the course of the surrounding islands and coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bluebottle102

etxp wrote: »
    Me and 3 others have booked this. Think its too good of a deal to turn down, and really wanted to play it after being at The Open last year. Bit of a spin bit this opportunity might not happen again.

Seems to be a good few spaces gone already.

Just wondering did you go up to Portrush yet? If so how did the day go? I'm due up there in two weeks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've the main courses in Donegal done but thinking of playing Narin again (to see the new course), then onto Cruit/Gweedore/Dunfanagy none of which I've played. Nice two day trip
    Also be back there next year maybe to see St Patrick links in Rosapenna

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Just wondering did you go up to Portrush yet? If so how did the day go? I'm due up there in two weeks

No not due to play until the 8th of Sept. cant wait for it.

Has anyone played the Portrush open comps on here yet?

Just home from enniscrone.
    Wonderful course, really enjoyed it. Reminded me alot of the cashen course in ballybunion. Played with a lad who knew the course very well and he made a huge difference to the experience with his insights etc

One draw back for be is the bunch of holes that are apart from the dunes are a bit up and down. I feel the course has a great start but then gets a bit ordinary for a while before taking off again.

Great value for 45 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Just home from enniscrone.
    Wonderful course, really enjoyed it. Reminded me alot of the cashen course in ballybunion. Played with a lad who knew the course very well and he made a huge difference to the experience with his insights etc

One draw back for be is the bunch of holes that are apart from the dunes are a bit up and down. I feel the course has a great start but then gets a bit ordinary for a while before taking off again.

Great value for 45 quid

Yea I think its holes 7-9? quite flat and not much to them. a lot of Links courses have them though. I think that's why Carne is marketing the Wild Atlantic Dunes course as its al in the dunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

There was a guide on here somewhere for corballis, anyone have a link?

No luck finding it and would appreciate it for tomorrow as its been a long time since I played it

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    There was a guide on here somewhere for corballis, anyone have a link?

No luck finding it and would appreciate it for tomorrow as its been a long time since I played it
    Post 66 on the corballis thread is my guide to it

Dan - you might get one from willabur - but here is one from me a long time ago. I'll be honest - I was probably a better and longer striker of irons when I wrote it. Also on the ultra conservative side - as rough can be basically a lost ball out there at times.

IN fact would be interested if he sees holes a little different - and more aggressive as he is scoring great there at present.

1. Probably hit an extra club - be very aware if wind in your face , you will end up short - green also above you from lower tee in play , so be aware of that.
    2. Hit 140 to 150 through the gap. Wedge to the green from there.
    3. Hit your driver well and there's room to the right. Very tricky approach. Not a bad idea to lay up and play as a par 5.
    4. Aim dead center forget pin if left or right
    5. Hit it 160-170 off the tee. Favour RHS - out to 180 190 is ok to.
    6. Long is dead - short not great - best of luck.
    7. 140-155 or less off the tee. Aim at the marker or slightly right. You'll have a wedge in. No point going for it from the tee as a lost ball 8 out of 10 times.
    8. A well struck driver may run you into trouble if you're long. No harm hitting less. A tricky green to stay on. Driver probably good if you fade - warning pond on left.
    9. If you're gonna miss, miss right. Green breaks towards water.
    11. 6 or 7 iron at the marker (more left of it) for a wedge in. No point going for green off the tee. (Edit - a 6 or 7 is a young mans game - a 5 iron a good club to be honest)
    12. Driver on this the only par 5. Sensible second landing zone is somewhere in between the clubhouse and the green (7i maybe). Can go for two if you get a great role out on fairway.
    13. Good luck - I'd say take the club that gets you to the back of the green - because the elevation is the error that 7/10 amateurs make that leaves themselves short - get on the bloody green , you are only in Corballis once.
    14. Hit it 180 aimed at the path. (again a bit longer no harm - 200/210) 3 wood
    15. Grab the big boy.
    16. Grab it again.
    17. Good luck. Skull an iron and it may stay on. Catch the middle of green and will not be far off pin if on right, if pin on top - call Phil Mickelson to hold green.
    18. Big landing zone so a lot of clubs to get you there. Plenty of room to the left. Driver may get you in trouble. But a 3 wood or driver aimed at LHS bunker normally good. Going right is a fools game - and 50 % end up in the hills of death on the right. Just go left all day and shout fore to the oncoming players - who just had a 6 at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

Dan - you might get one from willabur - but here is one from me a long time ago. I'll be honest - I was probably a better and longer striker of irons when I wrote it. Also on the ultra conservative side - as rough can be basically a lost ball out there at times.

IN fact would be interested if he sees holes a little different - and more aggressive as he is scoring great there at present.

1. Probably hit an extra club - be very aware if wind in your face , you will end up short - green also above you from lower tee in play , so be aware of that.
    2. Hit 140 to 150 through the gap. Wedge to the green from there.
    3. Hit your driver well and there's room to the right. Very tricky approach. Not a bad idea to lay up and play as a par 5.
    4. Aim dead center forget pin if left or right
    5. Hit it 160-170 off the tee. Favour RHS - out to 180 190 is ok to.
    6. Long is dead - short not great - best of luck.
    7. 140-155 or less off the tee. Aim at the marker or slightly right. You'll have a wedge in. No point going for it from the tee as a lost ball 8 out of 10 times.
    8. A well struck driver may run you into trouble if you're long. No harm hitting less. A tricky green to stay on. Driver probably good if you fade - warning pond on left.
    9. If you're gonna miss, miss right. Green breaks towards water.
    11. 6 or 7 iron at the marker (more left of it) for a wedge in. No point going for green off the tee. (Edit - a 6 or 7 is a young mans game - a 5 iron a good club to be honest)
    12. Driver on this the only par 5. Sensible second landing zone is somewhere in between the clubhouse and the green (7i maybe). Can go for two if you get a great role out on fairway.
    13. Good luck - I'd say take the club that gets you to the back of the green - because the elevation is the error that 7/10 amateurs make that leaves themselves short - get on the bloody green , you are only in Corballis once.
    14. Hit it 180 aimed at the path. (again a bit longer no harm - 200/210) 3 wood
    15. Grab the big boy.
    16. Grab it again.
    17. Good luck. Skull an iron and it may stay on. Catch the middle of green and will not be far off pin if on right, if pin on top - call Phil Mickelson to hold green.
    18. Big landing zone so a lot of clubs to get you there. Plenty of room to the left. Driver may get you in trouble. But a 3 wood or driver aimed at LHS bunker normally good. Going right is a fools game - and 50 % end up in the hills of death on the right. Just go left all day and shout fore to the oncoming players - who just had a 6 at 13.

Absolutely spot on this. Fair play!

That's a perfect guide there.
    Spend a bit of time on the practice greens beforehand. If you get the pace of the greens you'll post a good score

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

That's a perfect guide there.
    Spend a bit of time on the practice greens beforehand. If you get the pace of the greens you'll post a good score

I'm out at 10 so I'll try to get there a bit early. I'll have to grab some golf balls aswell, not losing many lately but that could change tomorrow I think.

Whays the css usually there? Last time I played I was fresh enough to not even know what it meant

It was 66 today for visitors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

slave1 wrote: »
    I've the main courses in Donegal done but thinking of playing Narin again (to see the new course), then onto Cruit/Gweedore/Dunfanagy none of which I've played. Nice two day trip
    Also be back there next year maybe to see St Patrick links in Rosapenna

Dunfanaghy not great, ok if you’re on holiday in the vicinity. Cruit definitely worth playing whether 9 or 18.

I loved Narin & Portnoo, real character and reminds me of Lahinch on a few holes. I heard they have new owners and someone told me they’re looking for €120/150 green fees these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dunfanaghy not great, ok if you’re on holiday in the vicinity. Cruit definitely worth playing whether 9 or 18.

I loved Narin & Portnoo, real character and reminds me of Lahinch on a few holes. I heard they have new owners and someone told me they’re looking for €120/150 green fees these days!!

Yeah dunfanaghy would be tame in comparison to some of the others.

Narin have a gui rate, think its 50e. Need to play the new layout myself, it looks impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

I played narin a few weeks ago in an open for 35 I think. And i think the gui rate was 60.

Cruit views are out of this world, hands down the best I've seen playing golf. Course is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

etxp wrote: »
    No not due to play until the 8th of Sept. cant wait for it.

Has anyone played the Portrush open comps on here yet?

Played one at the beginning of the month. Incredible. Weather wise we got a dry day with windy enough conditions (As a member of a links course I didn't think it was too bad). very enjoyable day. We got up there about 11ish I think, tee off time was 1pm. Breakfast was spot on, then got changed and went to the range. Few balls there, but if putting and then out.

Goody bag includes strokesaver and a few tee's. Can practice hitting your first tee shot on trackman in pro studio beside tee box. Course itself is as good as you would expect. Don't expect a quick round though. Think we were 5hr 30 mins. We were playing with a couple of slow enough players but only held up slightly in front and generally had a hole between group behind. I think it's just that type of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Played Portrush on Tuesday myself there.

Quite simply incredible.

We couldn't have got better weather, 22/23 degrees with not a breath of wind. It was stunning.

Took 5 and a half hours for our round too but would have been happy for it to take longer. I personally had 28 point with 4 dings from lost balls. In the two man event me and my partner had 37 points, so all in all pleasing to play some decent stuff around a world class track.

The place is a joy.

US chap bought it few years back and it's now finished "improvements".
    GUI rate is €60, Open Wednesday is €35, Open Sat/Sun is €52

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

was there recently too.
    Still some improvements ongoing and patchy in a lot of places.
    Would need another year for changes to bed in .

Great course though

Just played 27 holes in carne

My God what a track. Really something special.
    Played the Kilmore 9 last and I was knackered, spent but jees there are some special holes there. The par 5 that wanders through two massive dunes is like nothing else I've played. Such great fun. Get yourselves over there when you get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Anyone playing Baltray on the Junior Scratch?

• Advertisement

Surely Carne for future Boards outing...

Advertisement