Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay, was there a page back myself commenting on Lahinch but the thread has gone OT and the whole GUI clubs should have Opens etc is flaming to a lot of folk.
    Let's get the thread back on Links courses, it's a great topic.
    Thanks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

As regards Link Golf.

I've played North Berwick in Scotland. https://www.northberwickgolfclub.com/
    It's not too far from Edinburgh and if anyone is ever in the area, I would highly recommend it.
    (Weather and covid make things difficult of course.)
    Widely considered as one of the best links courses not on the open rota it is an absolute thrill to play.
    https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/articles/the-8-best-links-courses-to-never-host-the-open-championship

Some very quirky holes, especially on the back 9. Finishes with a St. Andrews like 1st/18th shared fairway set into the town.
    Only regret is not having payed it twice, but I intend to go back.

Some of our own links courses are very enjoyable also, some of which are:
    Lahinch – Love how the hole direction changes so often, for me this factor is what makes it a real challenge.
    Enniscrone – Seriously tough off the tee. If you are in any way wild it can be demoralising. Lovely course.
    Tralee – A fantastic course with a lovely mix of holes. As for that back 9 – WOW.
    Rosses Point – A good honest golf course. No trickery but you need to be on your game to score. Fantastic greens.
    Old Head – Jaw dropping scenery. Like nothing I’ve seen anywhere else.

Many more out there some of which I intend to play…
    Roll on the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

slave1 wrote: »
    Okay, was there a page back myself commenting on Lahinch but the thread has gone OT and the whole GUI clubs should have Opens etc is flaming to a lot of folk.
    Let's get the thread back on Links courses, it's a great topic.
    Thanks

Fair enough slave - but I hope the forum is not going down the route where difference of opinion no matter how crazy they are is considered inflammatory ?

Golf is changing / the world is changing - are we genuinely saying that a golf forum is not a place to express strongly opposing views.

The forum will be a bit out of touch with the general changing within the golf world.

But anyway , fair enough. Opens are off topic :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fair enough slave - but I hope the forum is not going down the route where difference of opinion no matter how crazy they are is considered inflammatory ?

Golf is changing / the world is changing - are we genuinely saying that a golf forum is not a place to express strongly opposing views.

The forum will be a bit out of touch with the general changing within the golf world.

But anyway , fair enough. Opens are off topic :eek:

I'd say posting about opens that are happening will be fine, just not the rights/wrongs of whether clubs should host them. Hopefully will get to some myself. Was asked to go to the social media open (ballybunion x2, tralee, dooks) but cant make it work, only 410 for all 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When I say flaming it’s meant in the guise a lot of folk will react to the post and the momentum to go off topic will increase so I’m more trying to nip it to stay on topic.
    There’s no problem whatsoever in discussing the “GUI club not having Opens, their members can play my course when it has an Open but we can’t play theirs” but just start another thread please.
    Thanks again all

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭benny79

Mushy wrote: »
    I'd say posting about opens that are happening will be fine, just not the rights/wrongs of whether clubs should host them. Hopefully will get to some myself. Was asked to go to the social media open (ballybunion x2, tralee, dooks) but cant make it work, only 410 for all 4.

Jesus thats serious value! When is that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

benny79 wrote: »
    Jesus thats serious value! When is that on?

Last week of April. It's a team event (of 2), but I had emailed and he said theres a few single players down so can join them

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Get what?

The person on the other end of a phone probably has work to get on with. I'd hazard a guess, the problem is not how the information is delivered but the fact it's not what people want to hear.

You lads are the equivalent of golf course tire kickers :D

I’ve played Lahinch a few times as a guest and I’ve got that attitude. It’s nothing to do with the message, it’s got everything to do with their attitude.

I called the Island and looked for GUI rate and the person at the end of the phone said no sorry we don’t have one I wish I could something for ya but I can’t. Even if he didn’t mean that it’s still the right way to deal with a query.

Let’s call a spade a spade the problem in Lahinch is that they believe the hype and are happy to be as exclusive as they can be. It’s also full of members from Dublin who have a lot of money and are members in places like the castle and milltown. Welcoming other golfers to play the course in an open is not exactly something they associate with their golf membership.

Interesting to hear the experiences regarding some Clubs. I booked 3 courses in the Northwest for the the end of May and had a very positive experience dealing with them. All have a GUI rate lower than advertised rate and were very helpful in booking.

Rosses Point
    Co. Donegal (Murvagh)
    Strandhill

Would recommend a detour to Enniscrone if you can accommodate it.
    Fantastic course.

Exactly wrote: »
    Interesting to hear the experiences regarding some Clubs. I booked 3 courses in the Northwest for the the end of May and had a very positive experience dealing with them. All have a GUI rate lower than advertised rate and were very helpful in booking.

Rosses Point
    Co. Donegal (Murvagh)
    Strandhill

• Advertisement

djr15 wrote: »
    Would recommend a detour to Enniscrone if you can accommodate it.
    Fantastic course.

It is for sure. We played that on our last trip so 3 new courses this time (if regulations allow and hotels are open). Seems like a big IF at the moment.

One positive from all of this is our handicaps are holding firm.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Rosses Point
    Co. Donegal (Murvagh)
    Strandhill

I also found Rosses very helpful. What GUI rates are the clubs chsrging?

I have not played Strandhill. Enniscrone is one of my favorite courses with many superb holes. It would be helpful to know the layout of some holes or to play with someone who does as there are several with blind shots from the tee or approaches to greens.

bmay529 wrote: »
    I also found Rosses very helpful. What GUI rates are the clubs chsrging?

I have not played Strandhill. Enniscrone is one of my favorite courses with many superb holes. It would be helpful to know the layout of some holes or to play with someone who does as there are several with blind shots from the tee or approaches to greens.

Rosses Point €70
    Murvagh €50
    Strandhill €40 incl open competition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Rosses Point €70
    Murvagh €50
    Strandhill €40 incl open competition

Three great courses for €160, Rosses point were charging 60 last year for GUI, they must have put it up?

Haven't played Rosses, as soon as we can leave our county I will be booking in. That will be every Links in Connacht except for the secondary 9's on Enniscorne and Rosses point, but might try play them this year also

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My Aunt is a member of Rosses, so i want to play it at least once this year, either when we're up there for the boards.ie or work Enniscrone visit.

Heard it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Kiith wrote: »
    My Aunt is a member of Rosses, so i want to play it at least once this year, either when we're up there for the boards.ie or work Enniscrone visit.

Heard it's very good.
    It is very different to Enniscrone. The scenery is much more beautiful but I would have Enniscrone as the far superior golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

gypsy79 wrote: »
    It is very different to Enniscrone. The scenery is much more beautiful but I would have Enniscrone as the far superior golf course

Enniscrone is amazing but it is let down by the 4 or 5 holes that are not in the dunes. Really not much going on there.

willabur wrote: »
    Enniscrone is amazing but it is let down by the 4 or 5 holes that are not in the dunes. Really not much going on there.

I agree, think its 7/8/9? I've only played there twice so still get confused with the holes at the end of the front 9.

its a stunning piece of land, I think they got the absolute most of what they have there.

Has anyone had a walk around Bartragh island just across the water from Enniscrone. Faldo owns the land with the intention of building a course there. I had a walk around it last summer and it is spectacular, the most natural golfing landscape you could ever place eyes on. Hard to see them ever making it a viable business venture tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNUC6LTthBs&feature=emb_logo

• Advertisement

I have heard of it and he done a visit to it recently and done a video on it with Skratch. I got very excited by it, less excited when i read he owns it since the mid 90's so its probably a pipe dream that will never happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82hrNv92D5s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Didn't Faldo sell it last year?

Isn't it the case that there will be no more new links courses built in Ireland? Current planning laws are such that dunes can't be developed into golf courses any more.

looks to be the case. I found a property listing which has an asking price of 1.1 million and it is marked as sold late last year.

bargain to own your own island :)

Speaking of Island golf. Another plan to build a new golf course in ireland that didn't make it past the ladies tee box
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/inishmore-bucks-trend-with-plans-for-world-class-links-26788136.html

anyone familiar with that part of the island would know it would make a really nice golf course although it would be very short. Islanders were happy to have the course there as golfers leave more money behind that day trippers

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

gypsy79 wrote: »

Far superior course... we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one ;-)

It’s a little while since I played Enniscrone and it’s certainly a splendid track although not quite on the same scale as Rosses Point IMO. I feel there isn’t a poor/bland hole at Rosses and they regularly upgrade parts of the course. It’s much more playable with no trickery. Funnily enough my favourite hole is the 10th, probably because of the views, and least being the 17th which is many people’s favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

Far superior course... we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one ;-)

It’s a little while since I played Enniscrone and it’s certainly a splendid track although not quite on the same scale as Rosses Point IMO. I feel there isn’t a poor/bland hole at Rosses and they regularly upgrade parts of the course. It’s much more playable with no trickery. Funnily enough my favourite hole is the 10th, probably because of the views, and least being the 17th which is many people’s favourite.

I would agree totally. Love both but Rosses Point is just a class above Enniscrone as a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Agree. Enniscrone is a super course and one of my favourites. 5 plays along the dunes and in my view a strong hole defined by the drive. I think you are referring to holes 6 and 7 which are weak holes out on the "flat" ground and if they were lined by dunes between them the whole course would be so much better. Both holes are really only defined by their tricky greens set in the side of dunes.

https://www.enniscronegolf.com/hole-6/

Whereas in Enniscrone you play mainly within the dunes and only have sight of the sea on a few holes in Rosses you can see the sea from pretty well every hole and has the feeling of being more open.

Both are great courses and if you get a chance travel out to Belmullet and have a go at Carne as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Speaking of Island golf. Another plan to build a new golf course in ireland that didn't make it past the ladies tee box
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/inishmore-bucks-trend-with-plans-for-world-class-links-26788136.html

anyone familiar with that part of the island would know it would make a really nice golf course although it would be very short. Islanders were happy to have the course there as golfers leave more money behind that day trippers

looks like the burren from aerial view on google maps!
    not sure how you could put a golf course on it

carq wrote: »
    looks like the burren from aerial view on google maps!
    not sure how you could put a golf course on it

if you look to the east side of the island there is a large beach. The land around it is linksy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

plumber77 wrote: »
    I would agree totally. Love both but Rosses Point is just a class above Enniscrone as a golf course.

I played both last year and we all much preferred Enniscrone so many memorable only only remember a few on Rosses.

Advertisement