Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I played both last year and we all much preferred Enniscrone so many memorable only only remember a few on Rosses.

I think we are talking personal preference now. As I said both are fine courses but for me Rosses another level. It doesn't have to be dramatic dunes to catch the eye. A lot of the beauty of Rosss is in the smaller details of the course. Enniscrone has the couple of flat holes out of the dunes and I would have mixed feelings on the small quirky ones around 12/13. But again that's just my opinion. Always play both at least once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I played both last year and we all much preferred Enniscrone so many memorable only only remember a few on Rosses.

All of the larger dune courses enjoy an impact / first impression that can’t really be matched by a course without that definition. Dead people would gain a pulse if waked on the first tee at Portstewart.

But I’d think that on repeated play the subtleties of the lower-lying links allow them to gain superiority. That underlying sense that there’s a cardwrecker at every turn on high dunes plays against it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭redhill

thewobbler wrote: »
    All of the larger dune courses enjoy an impact / first impression that can’t really be matched by a course without that definition. Dead people would gain a pulse if waked on the first tee at Portstewart.

But I’d think that on repeated play the subtleties of the lower-lying links allow them to gain superiority. That underlying sense that there’s a cardwrecker at every turn on high dunes plays against it in the long run.

Portstewart 1st hole rightfully gets a lot of plaudits, all definitely deserved, but the view from the 2nd tee is one of the best in golf full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

thewobbler wrote: »

I think this is a really interesting post -and I've found it to be true. Even against my own personal preference for the more dramatic deeper sand dune courses.

The likes of Portmarnock / Royal Dublin / Rosses Point / Baltray. You could play them courses for years and the various intricacies would only be revealed with time. Sadly you do not get to play them enough.

I've a particular personal preference for the deeper , dramatic courses , with great sea views. I even love blind and part blind holes and the more eccentric holes. These are more prevalent on the courses with more dramatic profiles.
    I also love holes with elevation changes and have a particular weakness for elevated tee shots.

For that reason - I would be drifting towards the likes of Enniscrone over Rosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I think this is a really interesting post -and I've found it to be true. Even against my own personal preference for the more dramatic deeper sand dune courses.

The likes of Portmarnock / Royal Dublin / Rosses Point / Baltray. You could play them courses for years and the various intricacies would only be revealed with time. Sadly you do not get to play them enough.

I've a particular personal preference for the deeper , dramatic courses , with great sea views. I even love blind and part blind holes and the more eccentric holes. These are more prevalent on the courses with more dramatic profiles.
    I also love holes with elevation changes and have a particular weakness for elevated tee shots.

For that reason - I would be drifting towards the likes of Enniscrone over Rosses.

I would be off the same thinking as you but I haven't played Rosses yet. the flattest links that i would have played is either Connemara or Strandhill, but I would be choosing Carne or Enniscrone over either of them. Old head is pretty flat but i wouldn't class that as a links. Hopefully knock a few of the "flat" links off the list this year. They will need to be pretty special to change my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

etxp wrote: »
    I would be off the same thinking as you but I haven't played Rosses yet. the flattest links that i would have played is either Connemara or Strandhill, but I would be choosing Carne or Enniscrone over either of them. Old head is pretty flat but i wouldn't class that as a links. Hopefully knock a few of the "flat" links off the list this year. They will need to be pretty special to change my mind.
    Would you not of played Achill? That was the most strange course I ever played. Due to the flatness and the difficulty of gauging distances. Very enjoyable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Would you not of played Achill? That was the most strange course I ever played. Due to the flatness and the difficulty of gauging distances. Very enjoyable though.

Yea i have played it quite a lot, and Mulranny was more so thinking of the 18 hole course.

It has one of the hardest second shots I have ever played. the 6th, along the river to the right, the green falls towards the river and the wind pushes you towards it too, anything drifting right is usually going to the river once its bouncing. Its a 180-210yard second shot usually for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

The blend of enniscrone's towering dunes combined with the expanse of rosses beautiful landscape and the epic journey that you are taken on there makes them 36 holes that complement each other very nicely. The best way to play enniscrone is having played rosses pt the day before and likewise the best way to enjoy rosses is the experience at enniscrone to compare it to. Don't come over to sligo to pick one of them. Play them both!

I'm very lucky in that the full Dollymount strand is in my 5km. We, as a family, have taken to walking it. Same with most. Covid has brought you to parts of a place you thought you knew , but you are now looking at it for more and further and at a much deeper level. It is like the great links courses we have talked about here. The more and more you play a place - or in this case, walk a place, you see more.

My wife has been fairly distressed at the level of plastic and rubbish around the place. It is shocking when you actually look. She has taken to picking it up - fair play - but she has a big big endless sea of work to go.

Anyway - alone a few times . I have taken to taking a club down to the beach - a 9 iron. I said there is water there , there are sand dunes there. Let the imagination run wild and make it a golf course. :D

I literally have not hit a golf ball on a beach in years. I'm a savage digger and I knew I'd be brutal on it. But in a twisted way - I realised that It would actually be a great drill for me.

On my 3rd day doing it - I started picking targets, poles, rocks, driftwood, cycling helmets, bottles, industrial waste, full beers cans, building materials. You look at all this stuff going - the earth is f&cked. But that was a great shot at that plastic oil can :D . I actually hit a pole one day (about 60 yards) - got a spectator - I love an audience :p.

There is something very odd, eerie, disconcerting , uncomfortable, to look into Royal Dublin and St Anne's - and not see one golfer. To look at the hill of Howth and see Deer Park and Howth golf club and know there is not one golfer on the courses. It seems a bit selfish and odd to look at the world around us , with golf to come to the forefront first. But it is who we are , we as golfers, understand that little thrill you get - even if you drive, fly or travel past a golf course

We covered it on a different thread - that perhaps golf is a little more important for people on here. In fact, It is a very important part of them. It is their life if we are honest. It is how they relax, de-stress, make friends, escape. It goes to another level for some (maybe me too) - When everything is perfect in golf. For one moment you feel , you are in your own space and time on earth. It is earth , it is real, but there is unearthly mental feeling and attachment , that to be honest, is impossible to describe.

At the very North tip - you can see unused dunes - and in places you start to imagining great golf holes that could fit in. Even on a beach walk - you are thinking like a golfer :D . I teed up on a few of the dunes and made imaginary golf holes. Things are getting odd at this point. Also the rough was about 4 feet deep :D

I sat on a rock mid way with my 9 iron walking stick, down 3 of my 4 balls - looked at the unusual sky that can happen at half light over the Poolbeg Peninsula. Ships slowly approaching. Dublin what a city, we can love and hate all in the same day. I then considered if my wife would find the 3 balls I lost

I looked at the people passing - old, young, lost , running , searching, dreaming, hoping. They probably looked at me with equal concern and mystery.

I looked at the sea - There was a wildness, an uncertainty, an anger in the sea.

For some reason - the memory of Seve flicked into my mind from some space - him on the beach as a child.

At some point in the future, we will all be back. To more solid links ground. We will once again share that unearthly space in time.

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I drive past Hogs Head daily, and run past Waterville most days. As above, its a weird sight to see no one on either of them. Given the rain, we'd probably not be playing them anyway, but good god i'd love to just take a club and go out to hit some balls. May have to try the beach golf...i usually find the sand anyway, so might be helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Tread softly

My precious child, when you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

My wife has been fairly distressed at the level of plastic and rubbish around the place. It is shocking when you actually look. She has taken to picking it up - fair play - but she has a big big endless sea of work to go.

I sat on a rock mid way with my 9 iron walking stick, down 3 of my 4 balls - looked at the unusual sky that can happen at half light over the Poolbeg Peninsula. Ships slowly approaching. Dublin what a city, we can love and hate all in the same day. I then considered if my wife would find the 3 balls I lost

[/I]

Would golf balls not be considered rubbish?

Would golf balls not be considered rubbish?

Of course they are . There must be millions of them everywhere around any links. But I suppose they are somewhat stable / not dissolvable / eaten by fish..

In fact I do recall a movement to create biodegradable golf balls.

I personally wouldn't be inclined to hit one into the ocean . But I suppose we have rivers passing a good few parkland.

Probably another topic a bit of artistic licence. Actually found a good few balls in dunes outside course.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭noler123

Has anyone played the West Coast Challenge recently? What did you think of it? Well organised?

I've had a search here but any posts I can find on it are from 10 years ago. Have played Enniscrone, Murvagh and Strandhill, all fine courses. I believe Bundoran would be the runt of the litter anyway. Still for €160 for the four courses it seems well worth it!

Was out on coast yesterday - what a day. First time I realised that you are not going to have that rare day you get early season. Cold air bright sky - the course to yourself.

same again today - but a real wind burned face and tears in eyes day today.

Apparently The Island are going to start running an Open Singles on Friday afternoons in the near future. Have heard €85 mentioned as the Visitor rate so I'm not sure people would be playing it too often but might be nice once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭blue note

Exactly wrote: »
    Apparently The Island are going to start running an Open Singles on Friday afternoons in the near future. Have heard €85 mentioned as the Visitor rate so I'm not sure people would be playing it too often but might be nice once in a while.

I'd jump at that. Definitely worth an afternoon off work for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Now that's interesting. That would be worth a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

would be all over that - Quick 12 holes in corballis to tune up and then into the island for the afternoon. 85 quid is a great price

Well "Holy God" - I've been looking for this for about 8 years :D

Just took a global pandemic for some clubs to review their ideas around this.

Anyway - sounds great. Can't wait.

As I've said in other threads - €85 - is for fairly hardcore golfers , seriously into their golf / links golf. It actually would be a great days marketing for them too. The Island remains a little bit out of sight and mind and still has a low enough profile (even in Dublin / Ireland). They may want it that way.

• Advertisement

willabur wrote: »
    would be all over that - Quick 12 holes in corballis to tune up and then into the island for the afternoon. 85 quid is a great price

Or play 1 to 5 in Corballis - jump broken fence and play 6 to 18 in The Island - that would actually be some golf course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This would be great as a once off, will try make it work if it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

That is good. We got out for €100 last October on just Green Fees (all GUI). Loved the course but tough going. Must be tough getting beaten up every weekend by the course as a member

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I have read a bit about the island. Strikes me as being a must play. Someone said they have old railway sleepers in face of some bunkers. Can anyone who is a member describe course to me or what exactly makes it so difficult in comparison to your average links. Is it cross winds, narrow fairways, elevated greens?

frink wrote: »
    That is good. We got out for €100 last October on just Green Fees (all GUI). Loved the course but tough going. Must be tough getting beaten up every weekend by the course as a member

My dream to to join Portmarnock links (as it's so closer to me) but a part of me wonders what it kg me like playing a course that difficult week in week out. I've played it once and played and scored reasonably well. But it was sunny, warm, hardly any breeze and we played from the green tees. I imagine a windy day from the whites would be extremely difficult. And does anyone know if the blues are used often? I'd say crazy hard from the blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

blue note wrote: »
    My dream to to join Portmarnock links (as it's so closer to me) but a part of me wonders what it kg me like playing a course that difficult week in week out. I've played it once and played and scored reasonably well. But it was sunny, warm, hardly any breeze and we played from the green tees. I imagine a windy day from the whites would be extremely difficult. And does anyone know if the blues are used often? I'd say crazy hard from the blues.

I think I'd love to join a links, I've played quite a few but not sure if I was playing it week in week out would I love it.

Not the same course but next door. My 1st round of golf was Portmarnock on a really windy day.
    Needless to say, it was a disaster and I was probably the worst golfer to have ever played it.

One of those moments I can imagine other people would look at and think "What a waste of a round of golf in Portmarnock"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

had a trip planned for early april to a well supplied part of links country. Had 4 courses lined up but of course with covid being covid we need to reschedule.

3 of 4 courses have moved to a date in sept no problem.
    4th course, which charged 50% deposit up front, will not give us a date after June. No GUI bookings, they only want US bookings and will not pay back deposit. Poor form
    They have us on a waiting list in case the yankee doodles cannot travel

I think I'd love to join a links, I've played quite a few but not sure if I was playing it week in week out would I love it.

Not the same course but next door. My 1st round of golf was Portmarnock on a really windy day.
    Needless to say, it was a disaster and I was probably the worst golfer to have ever played it.

One of those moments I can imagine other people would look at and think "What a waste of a round of golf in Portmarnock"

I'm pretty much halfway between Portmarnock links and malahide golf clubs and going to malahide makes a lot of sense too. Supposed to be a nice club, would be cheaper in the long run as once you pay the entrance fee the subs are a lot less. And I suspect it's a course that would suit my ability a bit better. Particularity as you get older.

But as regards a course exciting you, it wouldn't come close to the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭benny79

Or play 1 to 5 in Corballis - jump broken fence and play 6 to 18 in The Island - that would actually be some golf course :D

Speaking from experience ;) lol....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

https://www.ballybuniongolf.com/offers/tralee-ballybunion-stay-play/51-29122/

Seems like decent value given the normal green fees for 3 rounds would be €550 from their respective websites.

Midweek only though.

Do Ballybunion or Tralee usually offer GUI rates?

Advertisement