Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

mk7775 wrote: »
    https://www.ballybuniongolf.com/offers/tralee-ballybunion-stay-play/51-29122/

Seems like decent value given the normal green fees for 3 rounds would be €550 from their respective websites.

Midweek only though.

Do Ballybunion or Tralee usually offer GUI rates?

I have booked this, a friend enquired about GUI rates for Ballybunion and they are doing half price for April/May/June €125 ballybunion. Not sure about Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭blue note

Surely all the big links courses will be doing offers this year rather than have a second year of practically no green fee revenue. Don't bother checking with Lahinch though, they don't like answering that query.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

willabur wrote: »
    had a trip planned for early april to a well supplied part of links country. Had 4 courses lined up but of course with covid being covid we need to reschedule.

3 of 4 courses have moved to a date in sept no problem.
    4th course, which charged 50% deposit up front, will not give us a date after June. No GUI bookings, they only want US bookings and will not pay back deposit. Poor form
    They have us on a waiting list in case the yankee doodles cannot travel

WAT Course wouldn’t play ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

blue note wrote: »
    My dream to to join Portmarnock links (as it's so closer to me) but a part of me wonders what it kg me like playing a course that difficult week in week out. I've played it once and played and scored reasonably well. But it was sunny, warm, hardly any breeze and we played from the green tees. I imagine a windy day from the whites would be extremely difficult. And does anyone know if the blues are used often? I'd say crazy hard from the blues.

You should definitely join if its your dream. The course itself is a beast but always in immaculate condition. They went a little over the top with bunkers but only my opinion, others may rave about them. In time you will learn how to play the course. The one worry I would have is its not a members owned course. Greens fees may get higher priority to members. In regards to wind, if its windy in Portmarnock its still going to be windy in Malahide or Roganstown, granted they do have more protection in land. What a track it would be as your home club.

I would rate North Dublin links as follows -

1) The Island
    2) Portmarnock Old
    3) Portmarnock Links
    4) Royal Dublin (Overrated)
    5) Corballis
    6) St Annes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

You should definitely join if its your dream. The course itself is a beast but always in immaculate condition. They went a little over the top with bunkers but only my opinion, others may rave about them. In time you will learn how to play the course. The one worry I would have is its not a members owned course. Greens fees may get higher priority to members. In regards to wind, if its windy in Portmarnock its still going to be windy in Malahide or Roganstown, granted they do have more protection in land. What a track it would be as your home club.

1) The Island
    2) Portmarnock Old
    3) Portmarnock Links
    5) Corballis
    6) St Annes

How is the "club" element at p links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

idle wrote: »
    WAT Course wouldn’t play ball?

Let's just say the run a popular lovely girls competition in the local town every year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

willabur wrote: »
    Let's just say the run a popular lovely girls competition in the local town every year

That is surprising because they are normally 100% to deal with. Have had numerous dealings with them over the years and if there was ever an issue with a cancellation or anything they would sort it no problem. Couple of occasions the weather turned while in the course and we had to come in (our own decision) and were invited back another time to make up for it.

I would try them again and maybe speak to someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭blue note

1) The Island
    2) Portmarnock Old
    3) Portmarnock Links
    5) Corballis
    6) St Annes

I'm probably saying dream quite lightly. Really what I mean is that I'd join there if money was no issue. At the moment, I don't consider it worth the extra €180 or so a month.

And there's a big difference in wind between the beach and my house and I'm about 2 minutes walk from the beach. There would definitely be a difference between there and malahide. But also, there's a big difference ending up in the rough on a parkland vs links. Especially in terms of liklihood to find the ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Oh wow

Just got an email for 2 nights accom in Lahinch and a round each on the Old and the Castle courses

€329, after refusing to budge off €250 rack rate last year. I will definitely avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Oh wow

Just got an email for 2 nights accom in Lahinch and a round each on the Old and the Castle courses

€329, after refusing to budge off €250 rack rate last year. I will definitely avail.

What time of the year is that for?

• Advertisement

Neewollah wrote: »
    What time of the year is that for?

Arrival Mon-Thu in May or June 2021, fully “Covid Guaranteed” whatever that entails.

If anyone is interested dm me an email address and I will forward the email. I can vouch for the company Golfbreaks.ie, have used them before and they are professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Oh wow

I've seen that as well. Seeing as that hotel charges about €90 per twin room per night, I'd say that golf deal is saving you €40 in total.

It'll take something better than that for me to be honest. But it's their prerogative what they charge.

I've seen that as well. Seeing as that hotel charges about €90 per twin room per night, I'd say that golf deal is saving you €40 in total.

It'll take something better than that for me to be honest. But it's their prerogative what they charge.

You’re actually right, I didn’t realise how cheap the Castle course is (30-40). I seen it was old course rack rate + 80 for 2 nights accom and castle and thought bargain.

I assume Castle course is bang average so? I had it in my head as 80 green fee for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Got 2 rounds in enniscrone and 1 in strandhill €135 total end of June tought it was a good deal although never played either

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

You’re actually right, I didn’t realise how cheap the Castle course is (30-40). I seen it was old course rack rate + 80 for 2 nights accom and castle and thought bargain.

I assume Castle course is bang average so? I had it in my head as 80 green fee for some reason.

The castle is well maintained but completely uninteresting. Flat, largely featureless and really just up and down a big field. There’s one or two nice-ish holes but it’s not in the same as cashen or one of the northwest “B” courses

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boban z

stretchaq wrote: »
    Got 2 rounds in enniscrone and 1 in strandhill €135 total end of June tought it was a good deal although never played either

How did you get this deal. Is it onlin or did you do it through the clubs individually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

boban z wrote: »
    How did you get this deal. Is it onlin or did you do it through the clubs individually?

That is available much cheaper through opens

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

gypsy79 wrote: »
    That is available much cheaper through opens

Sometimes a premium is actually worth paying for convenience. Especially when it’s a small premium

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The castle is well maintained but completely uninteresting. Flat, largely featureless and really just up and down a big field. There’s one or two nice-ish holes but it’s not in the same as cashen or one of the northwest “B” courses

But it's a lovely complimentary course to it's tough next door neighbour and some lovely par 3's.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

Seen that golf digest are running a competition in Baltry in mid April. I think it's a bit speculative organising something for that date but you don't see too many open competitions there and doubt you would get a green fee for less than 75eur entry. There are a few spots available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 4 Putt

fungie wrote: »
    Seen that golf digest are running a competition in Baltry in mid April. I think it's a bit speculative organising something for that date but you don't see too many open competitions there and doubt you would get a green fee for less than 75eur entry. There are a few spots available.

That was due to be originally played back in October but was changed to April and more than likely will be changed again..

4 Putt wrote: »
    That was due to be originally played back in October but was changed to April and more than likely will be changed again..

Ah fair enough, that makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

slave1 wrote: »
    But it's a lovely complimentary course to it's tough next door neighbour and some lovely par 3's.

I don’t think you’d quite call it lovely. It’s well maintained, and there are a couple of reasonable holes but most frustratingly it’s of a different style to the main course. Flat, boring, uneventful. It’s like saying lackabane is complimentary to Killeen in Killarney, it’s complimentary in that there’s somewhere to get a game in for the locals or juniors if the main course is full booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

I don’t think you’d quite call it lovely. It’s well maintained, and there are a couple of reasonable holes but most frustratingly it’s of a different style to the main course. Flat, boring, uneventful. It’s like saying lackabane is complimentary to Killeen in Killarney, it’s complimentary in that there’s somewhere to get a game in for the locals or juniors if the main course is full booked.

bit harsh on lackabane. it was a very good test of all aspects of your game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Perhaps nice flipside of the main course so, the day I played both courses I had 27pts in the main course and 41 on the Caste, my first sub 80 round (par 69).
    Think that compares the two nicely, tough morning, relaxing afternoon, both highly enjoyable

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

slave1 wrote: »
    Perhaps nice flipside of the main course so, the day I played both courses I had 27pts in the main course and 41 on the Caste, my first sub 80 round (par 69).
    Think that compares the two nicely, tough morning, relaxing afternoon, both highly enjoyable

I know a lot of lads who use it as the hungover course. It fits that bill for that quite nicely too. I wouldn’t necessarily be going to bed early and cleaning your clubs the night before playing the castle course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

etxp wrote: »
    I would be off the same thinking as you but I haven't played Rosses yet. the flattest links that i would have played is either Connemara or Strandhill, but I would be choosing Carne or Enniscrone over either of them. Old head is pretty flat but i wouldn't class that as a links. Hopefully knock a few of the "flat" links off the list this year. They will need to be pretty special to change my mind.

Are you a member of Carne? Its rare enough to find someone as familiar with the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

bailey99 wrote: »
    Are you a member of Carne? Its rare enough to find someone as familiar with the place.

No I'm not a member, live 40ish minutes away so pay it 3-5 times a year for the last 15 years or so. Not so familiar with the new 9 though as have only played them twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

etxp wrote: »
    No I'm not a member, live 40ish minutes away so pay it 3-5 times a year for the last 15 years or so. Not so familiar with the new 9 though as have only played them twice.

I'm a member I was wondering. Life member. I played the new 9 once only but that was a few years back. Tis some course I must say, whatever 18 hole rota you take.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know any good companies that are doing 'staycation' packages this summer? My family want to try some golf courses around the country. The packages don't have to contain accommodation as well.

Advertisement