Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Doenahs.

Most of above played - winter rate , an open, was with a member or very lucky to get an invite with someone who had a 4 ball.

But I have paid £ 100 sterling to play Royal County Down and have got the rest from 30 to 60 euro.
    I think it is mad money for most of them. Also payed 55 euro to play The Island - 50 euro European.

I plan on playing most of the rest in the 3 day sort of classics / challenge. At that rate you get them at about 60 euro a go.

If I'm being honest - to play the top course - I would pay over 100 euro. I sort of have no choice. But with the thread here and from asking around , there are ways of getting to play the big ones for near 60.

I'll be playing a lot of winter golf to get the west done - because the total money required is phenomenal. No doubting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 doenahs

Doenahs.

Most of above played - winter rate , an open, was with a member or very lucky to get an invite with someone who had a 4 ball.

But I have paid £ 100 sterling to play Royal County Down and have got the rest from 30 to 60 euro.
    I think it is mad money for most of them. Also payed 55 euro to play The Island - 50 euro European.

I plan on playing most of the rest in the 3 day sort of classics / challenge. At that rate you get them at about 60 euro a go.

If I'm being honest - to play the top course - I would pay over 100 euro. I sort of have no choice. But with the thread here and from asking around , there are ways of getting to play the big ones for near 60.

I'll be playing a lot of winter golf to get the west done - because the total money required is phenomenal. No doubting it.

Thanks for that.
    Agree that the best way to play the top courses and not pay crazy green fee prices is the way you described.
    I try not to pay over €60 for a top quality course-got RCD and European last year for about €50 in the summer.
    Got myself a openfairwayscard this year-it's already paid for itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Played with Fix, Trapper and Hunter at The Island yesterday (see Fix's comments above). I love the place.

Here's one of the best pics I took (on smartphone)... Hunter above the 8th green. Spot the ball!!

wj6i2t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Played Dooks during the week (in a tshirt!) It's definitely an underrated course, probably because of the standard of links courses in Kerry.

I'm going to play a links in Dublin some weekend next month and looking for suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

idle wrote: »
    Played Dooks during the week (in a tshirt!) It's definitely an underrated course, probably because of the standard of links courses in Kerry.

I'm going to play a links in Dublin some weekend next month and looking for suggestions

Well if money isn't an issue Portmarnock would be number one on my list.

• Advertisement

If your looking for best quality for value.
    Portmarnock Links.
    I guess you know this is not the same as Old Portmarnock.

Said to Hunter after he had hit his 2nd to there. In photo.
    Welcome to Irish Golf with your next shot.

Wouldn't mind he hammered me with a great round of 82. (Lol)
    Great golf from our American - future course designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I was going to avail of the under 30s offer in Donabate GC but after playing Corballis yesterday and a parkland today I think I might go for a 4 day membership in Corballis for €100 cheaper. Thinking of going Wednesday to Saturday as the opens are on Wednesday and Friday. Anyone here a member, any advice or thoughts on it as a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hrigsby2

Ok another Links then - Hit The Island with a few lads from here today.
    Class day for any golf , bliss for Links golf.
    It is a brilliant course, a lovely place and great people there. Real welcome from Everybody at club.

The course is in full play and the greens are as good as I've seen on a links - changes taking shape around many tees - lengthening the course. Had a very poor day off the tee - in the wrong place so many times - still recovered ok and had 31 pts.

I was very lucky - as the rough is not as long as I remember there - in mid summer I would have lost about 8 balls - not one lost , just one in water.

It is a great , great course for a links lover. Great variety and shape - it is so unusual to have to hit irons like 5, 6, 7 to par 4s. But it is also a course that must change every day of the week.
    It has holes that are unusual like 2,4,5,6,8,9 - 12,13,14,15,16.
    Not all particularly unusual , but holes you would only see on a links.

It is a great time of year to play links golf - not too hot, nice cooling breeze. Just bliss, away from it all. Only sign of civilisation is the passing Northern Rail line and when Malahide comes into view. Hard to believe you are only a short distance from large suburban areas.

So , will play it again - a must play for Links Lovers.

I basically almost finished the East coast run now - just the following
    Royal Dublin (Next Door) and Laytown - Can't remember Rosslare - so going to go there again very soon. So will have them done in 3 months or so.

If we say for a second Royal County Down is east - I'd rate as follows.

1) Royal County Down
    2) The Island
    3) Portmarnock Links
    4) Baltray
    5) The European Club
    6) Portmarnock
    7) Arklow
    8) Corballis
    9) Seapoint
    10) St Annes

So East almost there - off to the West next.

Need a little rest and to sort that driving - because these are not course to be playing with a crazy OTT action. :)

Edit
    Just to add to above - As others have said, it can be a bit discrediting to make lists at times - I have had some of my happiest days on some of the lower ranked courses above. Maybe because I score better :)

Portmarnock Links and Baltray above The European and Portmarnock!? I grimaced reading that :). To each their own of course, but I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind those two.
    Said to Hunter after he had hit his 2nd to there. In photo.
    Welcome to Irish Golf with your next shot.

Wouldn't mind he hammered me with a great round of 82. (Lol)
    Great golf from our American - future course designer.

I definitely learned how not to play a few holes (notably the 8th, 14th, and 15th). For a while there on the back 9 I felt like I was on a safari with the scenery I was taking in. Managed to scramble for some ugly bogeys but I remember thinking, "Man, that looks lovely," in reference to you hitting a wedge from the middle of the fairway into the 15th green while I mulled over how nice it would be to have a weed-eater as one of my 14 clubs! :P.

That shot on the 8th was definitely a "welcome to Irish golf," moment and was aptly called. Of course my only rational solution was a flop shot...true to those American roots! I still have a lot to learn about links golf and how to play it. Notably how to play the low, Markham style shots. It wouldn't hurt to have the 220 yard 7-iron in the bag either Pat! Can I pick one of those up back home or is it a local special? :P. I think this was the first round I've played since I got here that I didn't even stand a chance of being the long ball off the tee if everyone connected!

Definitely a fun round on a great course. Not a chance that I'd rate The Island outside of the Top 5 links courses that I've played to date. Still have a few more to get to but it's definitely worthy of the praise it receives.

Right, three more photos from The Island.

Fix bunkered on 16 am37zd.jpg

Trapper hits a beauty on 17 2z5prb8.jpg

Hunter after a big one on 5 zwkaye.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks Kev. That is a class photo of hunter - power determination.

Mine not one of me best - lol

Thanks Kev. That is a class photo of hunter - power determination.

Mine not one of me best - lol

Hey, we don't have to tell anyone that the ball nearly rolled back into the bunker. It could be floating all the way to the hole. Who's to know!

Hunter - the margins in the middle are very small for me. I would need to play them all again a few times. You would nearly want to go and play them take photos and notes ---- has anybody come up with that :)

There is not one links that seems to follow any model - there is a mix from flat , to blind, to straight , to dogleg , to raised greens, to bowl and flat greens. This of course is because they are placed on the land as it is - mostly.
    Some are protected from wind, some have so much wind - it is almost impractical as a day to day golf club.
    Lets be honest - some of the Links , the layouts are not going to be clubs you go to and play as your home course (imo) - I would look on some of them as places you go to for a great day out.

I am fairly easy when it comes to links - and as mad as it sounds I would play any of above and be delighted. The more I play - (I'm relatively inexperienced) , different types of links are growing on me. When I entered into the idea of playing them all. I was a "Ah that is as flat as a pancake course" - but the more I play links golf , they are beginning to grow on me more. An example of this is Royal Dublin - I've a feeling after walking it 6 or 7 times , I will really like it - and that is one that people don't rate.

I'm more of a feel guy when it come to golf - I do analysis at work , so I don't like to bring that into my hobby (too much)

If I look at the way I rated them - the sequence I played them was a big factor for me. I hadn't played them and had built them up so much - I was just so happy to be playing them :D - that satisfaction of having played them and even being in them was a big deal.
    Many people who love golf never get to play these places. Times have changed - but it is something that should not be forgotten. They are very expensive and not many people can justify or afford to play them. It is a real privilege. It shouldn't be - but it is.

I'm not a fan of the sleepers in the European - (sorry) , I know it is a class course , It will grow on me , but it has a weak finish. Sleepers to me are not a natural part of the course - they are there as a structural function. Don't go in them an all that ........

I always wanted to play Baltray after the Irish open , and it was the first time I had played Links greens at that level - that pure roll , was just a totally new experience at that time - It was the first time I hit a shot onto a green and knew what the pro faces at an Irish open - that was a big deal for me.

Portmarnock Links - I highly rate , I don't even mind the slow start - to be honest, you could say Portarmnock Links is a perfect mix of Irish links - maybe lacks that big dune and sea views . But holes like the strong doglegs - the par 3s are all a fantastic tests - great fall off - a test of distance, great real bunkers. The finish on the course - is fantastic , and many great course we talk about lack a great finish. I'd take a great finish over a poor start - it is really something to build up to and very important in a match , your score in a tournament. And with Bernhard Langer on the signature , he has 90 % of the Irish Public at the gate. He was just loved here - we like our damaged heroes too (The Yips) , because as big as he became , he always came back and showed people how to play links golf.
    Also - it has got to be the best value around - in NAMA, so that is a controversial issue, but as value goes - you can't beat it.

On Portmarnock - absolute class course , maybe the best condition I have ever seen , a joy to play - but it is fairly straightforward, the the holes are just in front of you , there is hardly a big dune , many of the fairways are just dead flat. It is meant to be one of the best in the world - it is class , but it is one that is built up so much - you leave a bit confused.
    It is way too expensive - and is basically inaccessible to the Irish golfing public. Should you even rate a course - you basically can't get to play next week if you feel like it. I'm looking at these courses, going - will I come back here again , soon, would I join. Em - I can't here. It is working a piece of the mind that you shouldn't be. It is an issue. Subjective things become subjective.

After all that , it has been a blast. And even the main man Kevin there, not just saying this - I've said it on other threads - his markings were class , and never sent me wrong.
    Kevin has said his views change a little , but he does this in a far more scientific way.

But there is no exact answer, even your own answer turns out to be wrong , that sums up life. If somebody said to me - that this is the best course because of x - it can't be the right answer , it is a view.
    As a last example - I have heard of 2 American lads who prefered Corballis over The Island
    and another couple (husband and wife) who went for
    Waterrock in Cork over Old Head

Now that is irrational - but they just had great days on the alternates. In one example the couple , it was lashing rain - a 6 hour round and a ruined day. Not a way you will leave a place happy on a holiday. One was also 20 quid - the other $$$$$$$

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just on Royal Dublin: if anyone fancies it there is an Open on tomorrow , 30 quid.

Bit of a discount on the 100-120 rack rate!!!

(Don't know why I'm torturing myself by looking at GUI open days when I won't be golfing for the next few weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

PARlance wrote: »
    Just on Royal Dublin: if anyone fancies it there is an Open on tomorrow , 30 quid.

Bit of a discount on the 100-120 rack rate!!!

(Don't know why I'm torturing myself by looking at GUI open days when I won't be golfing for the next few weeks)

Just do everyone knows, the Mondays open in royal dublin is seniors. 50+.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hrigsby2

Hunter - the margins in the middle are very small for me. I would need to play them all again a few times. You would nearly want to go and play them take photos and notes ---- has anybody come up with that :)

There is not one links that seems to follow any model - there is a mix from flat , to blind, to straight , to dogleg , to raised greens, to bowl and flat greens. This of course is because they are placed on the land as it is - mostly.
    Some are protected from wind, some have so much wind - it is almost impractical as a day to day golf club.
    Lets be honest - some of the Links , the layouts are not going to be clubs you go to and play as your home course (imo) - I would look on some of them as places you go to for a great day out.

I am fairly easy when it comes to links - and as mad as it sounds I would play any of above and be delighted. The more I play - (I'm relatively inexperienced) , different types of links are growing on me. When I entered into the idea of playing them all. I was a "Ah that is as flat as a pancake course" - but the more I play links golf , they are beginning to grow on me more. An example of this is Royal Dublin - I've a feeling after walking it 6 or 7 times , I will really like it - and that is one that people don't rate.

I'm more of a feel guy when it come to golf - I do analysis at work , so I don't like to bring that into my hobby (too much)

If I look at the way I rated them - the sequence I played them was a big factor for me. I hadn't played them and had built them up so much - I was just so happy to be playing them :D - that satisfaction of having played them and even being in them was a big deal.
    Many people who love golf never get to play these places. Times have changed - but it is something that should not be forgotten. They are very expensive and not many people can justify or afford to play them. It is a real privilege. It shouldn't be - but it is.

I'm not a fan of the sleepers in the European - (sorry) , I know it is a class course , It will grow on me , but it has a weak finish. Sleepers to me are not a natural part of the course - they are there as a structural function. Don't go in them an all that ........

I always wanted to play Baltray after the Irish open , and it was the first time I had played Links greens at that level - that pure roll , was just a totally new experience at that time - It was the first time I hit a shot onto a green and knew what the pro faces at an Irish open - that was a big deal for me.

Portmarnock Links - I highly rate , I don't even mind the slow start - to be honest, you could say Portarmnock Links is a perfect mix of Irish links - maybe lacks that big dune and sea views . But holes like the strong doglegs - the par 3s are all a fantastic tests - great fall off - a test of distance, great real bunkers. The finish on the course - is fantastic , and many great course we talk about lack a great finish. I'd take a great finish over a poor start - it is really something to build up to and very important in a match , your score in a tournament. And with Bernhard Langer on the signature , he has 90 % of the Irish Public at the gate. He was just loved here - we like our damaged heroes too (The Yips) , because as big as he became , he always came back and showed people how to play links golf.
    Also - it has got to be the best value around - in NAMA, so that is a controversial issue, but as value goes - you can't beat it.

On Portmarnock - absolute class course , maybe the best condition I have ever seen , a joy to play - but it is fairly straightforward, the the holes are just in front of you , there is hardly a big dune , many of the fairways are just dead flat. It is meant to be one of the best in the world - it is class , but it is one that is built up so much - you leave a bit confused.
    It is way too expensive - and is basically inaccessible to the Irish golfing public. Should you even rate a course - you basically can't get to play next week if you feel like it. I'm looking at these courses, going - will I come back here again , soon, would I join. Em - I can't here. It is working a piece of the mind that you shouldn't be. It is an issue. Subjective things become subjective.

After all that , it has been a blast. And even the main man Kevin there, not just saying this - I've said it on other threads - his markings were class , and never sent me wrong.
    Kevin has said his views change a little , but he does this in a far more scientific way.

But there is no exact answer, even your own answer turns out to be wrong , that sums up life. If somebody said to me - that this is the best course because of x - it can't be the right answer , it is a view.
    As a last example - I have heard of 2 American lads who prefered Corballis over The Island
    and another couple (husband and wife) who went for
    Waterrock in Cork over Old Head

Now that is irrational - but they just had great days on the alternates. In one example the couple , it was lashing rain - a 6 hour round and a ruined day. Not a way you will leave a place happy on a holiday. One was also 20 quid - the other $$$$$$$

:D

Fair enough. Definitely not trying to attack your rankings or anything, just curious as to the reasoning. It is interesting how little things can affect how you view a course. Even if it isn't your quality of play, things like the wind, or whether or not it was raining, or a course attribute like the sleepers can just get under your skin and make a lasting impression.

A tip on the sleepers though, if you don't have a full swing on the ball because of them, try just punching the ball into them. They're angled back a bit and I see them as a bit of an easy way out because if you hit them hard enough the ball will end up out of the bunker somewhere!

There is a lot of merit to the flat vs. dramatic terrain. While it might be said that the dramatic terrain creates a lot of unfair situations...I think that's part of links golf. Just like where your ball ends up in a bunker can leave you with a simple sand shot, or something that is nearly impossible to extricate. I wish they would hold the Open Championship at something dramatic and just see how the players and the viewers respond. I think you would see an instant boost in the number of PGA Tour players coming to play the Irish Open and Scottish Open when it is held in places like RCD, The European, The Island, Portrush, etc. in Ireland and Cruden Bay, North Berwick, Kingsbarns, etc. in Scotland.

At least put the Ryder Cup at these courses when it comes around! That's a dramatic tournament from the start...seeing it at parkland courses in Ireland and Scotland is a bit of a downer to me.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Just do everyone knows, the Mondays open in royal dublin is seniors. 50+.

Ah, cheers for that Jim. I overlooked that

hrigsby2 wrote: »
    A tip on the sleepers though, if you don't have a full swing on the ball because of them, try just punching the ball into them. They're angled back a bit and I see them as a bit of an easy way out because if you hit them hard enough the ball will end up out of the bunker somewhere!

Oh to be in my early 20's again....
    There's a tip from a young man if ever I saw one :)

I feel ancient at 30, when I hear "sleepers" I think about getting a bit of quiet time while the kid sleeps... Or a little cat nap for myself... I'm certainly not punching a ball into one ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Hey, we don't have to tell anyone that the ball nearly rolled back into the bunker. It could be floating all the way to the hole. Who's to know!

That's the way I remember it.

Going to Cliften for a few days in June. Other than playing Ballyconneely, we are thinking of taking a day trip to play another course. Enniscrone and Carne are both about 2 hrs drive, so which would you choose?

• Advertisement

Going to Cliften for a few days in June. Other than playing Ballyconneely, we are thinking of taking a day trip to play another course. Enniscrone and Carne are both about 2 hrs drive, so which would you choose?

I haven't played either but I'll be putting that right in July for the ACC.

Looking at it purely from a travel perspective, I would say Carne because if you're only 2 hours away from Carne, then you're relatively close :)
    Ie You could spin from Dublin to Enniscrone and 2 hours would see you almost there. You could go up and down in a day..... Up and down to Carne on the same day would be one hell of a long day/drive.

So, it would be Carne all the way for me.

Tough to choose between them...

That said, I'd pick Carne - and one of the reasons is that Enniscrone is reachable at other times, from other places. Getting to Carne is that bit trickier. Food's better too.

If you go to Carne, find out if the new 9 is open for play. Definitely worth playing the old back nine and the new nine. They are working on the original 12th so that may not be ready for play by June.

Plenty of photos on Flickr, Trapper

Tough to choose between them...

That said, I'd pick Carne - and one of the reasons is that Enniscrone is reachable at other times, from other places. Getting to Carne is that bit trickier. Food's better too.

If you go to Carne, find out if the new 9 is open for play. Definitely worth playing the old back nine and the new nine. They are working on the original 12th so that may not be ready for play by June.

Plenty of photos on Flickr, Trapper

I spend my life looking at Kevins photos on Flickr and dreaming. :D

I get the point about Carnes remoteness, but Enniscrone is a 3 hrs from my house so not sure I'd be doing any day trips. Always possibilities that I could be in Sligo / Donegal Town or even Ballina at some stage.

I think you guys will have played the Atlantic challenge before then so perhaps you can advise after that.

I think you guys will have played the Atlantic challenge before then so perhaps you can advise after that.

ACC is in July, Trapper... but I'd still say Carne is the one to choose. It's such a big experience. That said, both courses make my top five.

I spend my life looking at Kevins photos on Flickr and dreaming. :D

I get the point about Carnes remoteness, but Enniscrone is a 3 hrs from my house so not sure I'd be doing any day trips. Always possibilities that I could be in Sligo / Donegal Town or even Ballina at some stage.

We're playing in July Trapper so we'll be looking for course notes from you for either ;)

I mapped both routes there from my house in Dublin, true enough, it's only saying an hour in the difference. But that hour, the final leg, is a tiresome drive on bad roads.

I'm from Castlebar originally, playing Belmullet underage in GAA was the trip we always dreaded, purely because of the journey.
    It's actually depressing on a wet winters (summers) day. Bog, bog and then more bog as you drive down a pretty poor road. Its so open that you find yourself thinking, will we ever get there.
    Maybe that's a kid in the back of a buses view, I haven't been down there since and I've never driven it on a nice day either :) so that might make a difference.

It's a remote place and considering I've heard great things about both courses, I'd take the opportunity and go with Carne

Jaysus PARlance.

Hope it is not raining when we get there.

That post reminded me of "O stony grey soil of Monaghan".

Is Castlebar in Monaghan ?

Is there a bar in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Obvs it's not one of the ones you mentioned but if I was you and if you haven't played it before I'd play Mulranny.
    It's just totally amazing and quirky, I haven't ever played anywhere comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I'd go with Carne as well good to get it in when you are fairly close. A trip to Sligo to play Enniscrone, Strandhill and Rosses Point is much easier than trying to get to Carne.
    Looking forward to the ACC.

m r c wrote: »
    Obvs it's not one of the ones you mentioned but if I was you and if you haven't played it before I'd play Mulranny.
    It's just totally amazing and quirky, I haven't ever played anywhere comparable.

If I had a "last course to play" wish before I kick the bucket, it'd be Mulranny.
    Might sneak a quick 9 in ;)
    I wouldn't even think about wishing for another course.

Trapper, it's about half way so you could warm up with 9 holes on the way to Carne. You might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb... And on that note, watch out for the sheep sh*t if you do go.

Nevins pub in Mulranny does great food too.

• Advertisement

Jaysus PARlance.

Hope it is not raining when we get there.

That post reminded me of "O stony grey soil of Monaghan".

Is Castlebar in Monaghan ?

Is there a bar in it.

:) there's nothing grey about the soil, it's black. Peat black.

Those bus journeys used to be a nightmare.
    Play match, stop in shop...20 young lads filling up with crisps, fizzy drinks, general crap and then onto the shakey bus as it rattled along that road.
    It was a given that 1 or 2 would get sick. Myself once. Good times.

Advertisement