Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yea they were far from busy when we were there. The course wasnt perfect i would agree but its still a fantastic course. The condition is only going to get better as more people play it, i thought the fairways could have done with some rolling as they seemed to be quite soft in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭blue note

I played old tom Morris and St pats over the weekend. Old tom was lovely, felt like a very traditional links. Wind was fairly brutal that day, but i was actually going pretty well considering. I had 24 points after 12. Then I had 3 points on the last 6 holes. A couple of 3 putt 1 pointers, an unlucky lost ball from a drive, 2 very deserving lost balls from drives. But I'd love to play it again.

St pats though the next day - I would hands down say it is the best course I've ever played. It's spectacular. I know there's bedding in to be done, but I wouldn't think it a bad thing if they kept some of the rough and ready look about it. While I'd love to try the other rosapenna course and say I'd love to play tom Morris again, I'd be very tempted to play St pats more than once when I return.

The wind was tough again, but not as bad. I played well on the front 9 and turned with 17 points. Then the tiredness caught up with me - tough week on work, preparing for a holiday, long drive up, a long 18 the day before and pints that night. Around 10 my body just gave up. I actually nailed that drive and just caught the very end of the bunker. But then caught it thin out of it and lost the ball. Did okay with the drop, but three putted on a tough green - scratch. Followed by 4 more scratches! I looked like I just took up the game for a couple of holes. I parred the par threes on the back and almost finished well on 18 - 3 wood just rolled back off the green. A foot further would probably have left me an eagle putt, a yard definitely. Instead I ended up 3 putt bogeying from 10 feet.

But I would just disagree completely with the previous poster who didn't love it. It'll get better. But for me it'll get better from a starting point of being the best course I've ever played.

That 10th green is something else. i think there is 3 elevation changes on it? and if the pin is tucked back left you need a serious 2nd shot to get close.

I would agree with you in that if i was to go back to Rosapenna i think St Pats would be the main reason and would probably play it more than once. combined with Sandy hills, although Old Tom does have a bit of charm about it and the fact its a Old Tom Morris course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Wow that all! Haven’t been up in 2 years and never played Patrick’s. I thought the Patrick’s course would have been booked up all summer from the reviews since it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭swededmonkey

Sandy Hills is by far the toughest of the 3. You want to be on your game to score anything half decent. Fairways are much tighter than the other 2 and if your ball goes near the rough be prepared to never see it again!

• Advertisement

Yea i would be inclined to agree, i did manage to complete the round in Sandy Hills with one Ball though. :D altough only scored 27pts i think :(

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Agree with this.. Sandy Hills is the toughest of the three.

As for it being so quiet, I'm still surprised at this. Rosapenna has been getting more and more coverage (Tom Coyne, world rankings, etc.) and at some point I'd expect the trickle of Yanks to become a deluge. But surprised that not more Irish are playing there. Having said that, I've played a fair bit of evening golf since April this year on courses around the Dublin area and can't believe how quiet the courses are. You'd think after Covid that lads would be mad to get out and play but it seems not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭blue note

I was shocked at how quiet it was. Hardly a sinner out on it. I was a bit worried because we'd one lad with us who comes on our trips who's not a golfer. We gave him handicap of 54 and he had 9 points the first day. He's not slow, but if the course is congested it's awkward because he could hit it anywhere or nowhere and if you've had to wait to hit you might have an audience. I don't actually think he realises people care which is good, but I'd be self conscious on his behalf.

But with the publicity it's been getting I expected it to be booked solid. There will come a time when Donegal is thronged with golf tourists. We should enjoy it while we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

I am going to be in Lahinch in early August and was hoping to get a round in. I have been told the timesheets are completely booked. Does anyone have any knowledge around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

I think the South of Ireland championship is on 1st week of August so that might explainable of tee times.

as with all south west links courses they have all covid cancellations from previous years all crammed into this yr so timesheets are generally full most days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I think Lahinch is closed to visitors from August 3rd-20th. All 2022 visitor slots were gone from early Spring too, I think because of covid reschedules and so on but have also heard that a lot of the 2023 slots are booked already. Great course but I personally don't think its worth the green fee they charge and with no GUI rate and their preference for American visitors it does put me off the place a bit. Haven't been there in years though to be fair.

I contacted Lahinch earlier this year and was told that they have no availability for 2022 and that 2023 is filling up quickly also.

Maybe if you are in the are pop in on the morning and see can they squeeze you out. Or go drinking in the area and see can you get chatting to a member to bring you out as a guest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yea they really dont want to entertain the Irish Golfers. It took them a long time to put together a rate for Golf Ireland during covid.

It is a hefty price considering you can play RCD or Portrush for not much more, i would like to play it at some point though, so wiill have to take the hit eventually. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have to say it was us that kept the likes of this course open during the Pandemic years, slots should be reserved for local availability, stinks a bit.

I also doubt every single slot is booked, I'd say more a case of block booked for Travel agencies and the like

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

There is definitely a bit of a sour taste in manys mouth about how we supported these big clubs during covid.

I can only speak for Royal Portrush...but i played it 4 times in 2020 and 2021 as they were offering a very good Open Competition for £148.00

Now that the Americans are back there is not one single Open Competition for local golfers to play at a reduced rate.

Would it really be that big of a deal to have 1 or even 2 opens a year. Put them on a Monday or whatever even if you so please.

Were we actually supporting the clubs or taking advantage of the reduced rates while we could? I’d be inclined to say the latter. If the fees hadn’t reduced the same guys wouldn’t be supporting the clubs as they like to believe they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Well the reduced rates supported the club, hard to separate the two, it was win win for both sides

Absolutely, they did what was necessary and we took full advantage, so there should be no bitterness from either side.

• Advertisement

It was a win-win situation certainly for everyone.

However...the club probably NEEDED us much more than we needed to play. As i said...to host 1 or even 2 competitions a year on unattractive days of th week i don't think is too much of an ask.

if you think the big links courses needed your covid times reduced green fees you are sadly mistaken.

the lime of RCD PORTRUSH BALLYB TRALEE etc all have hundreds of thousands sitting in bank accounts.

it was just a goodwill offer by most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I think your maths is a little suspect.

During summer midweeks, they pull in €4K an hour in green fees alone. Probably 150% times that again in shop sales.

Even just 15 hours a week of that throughput from yanks, equates to around €150k sales. At 80-90% margin. A week.

So if they’ve “only” got hundreds of thousands in the bank, it means their outgoings are outlandish.

And two years without premium green fees and branded jumper sales would surely have put them on or near the brink, had they not generated some income from home.

"money" in the bank is the worst place for it, the courses dropped rates for cashflow, wages and expenses still needed to be paid and being in a positive/strong financial position is not the same as generating cash for liquidity

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

You can play the Cashen Monday to Friday for €80 which is not bad value. It has been said before that if it were not located right beside the old it would be on a fair mark for a standalone course. Doonbeg can be played at decent value as well at €95 for tee times mid week after 4.00pm and really I dont see much of a difference between that and La Hinch. If anything they are more friendly and accomodating in Doonbeg. Great variety of holes and rarely held up. Played recently and greens are perfect. Waterville can be played mid week any time for €140 and is really a top tier course and good value when compared to some of more illustrious names. Usually if I want to get a fix of links golf those are places I would go as €250 for Tralee, €275 for Ballybunion Old or Old Head at €350 is hard to justify and outside my price range.

An offer of goodwill just conveniently timed when they're usual bookings have fallen off a cliff edge...riiiiiiight.

To suggest it was simply an offer of goodwill and they didn't need us is complete and utter nonsense. Fair enough these clubs wouldn't have went to the wall without us...but they would have been in a much more precarious situation.

ballyb cashen course now running semi-open singles on Wednesdays.

€25 for visitors. decent value even if not my favourite course

my mates are playing tomorrow

Good value, underrated links IMHO, I love those perched greens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

BB has 30 million in the bank

they are spending 14 million on club upgrades. Redux of driving range, redux of the clubhouse (keeping up with the joneses aka waterville), some money put aside for cashen and old course also

one of the proposals was a tom watson led redesign of the cashen which would have been very interesting but they decided to go with relatively minor upgrades around the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I love the cashen course, members don't like the greens, it is also more of a target golf course than the use the slope style you get on the old course. Also very easy to catch a bad bounce and never see your ball again kind of course

Advertisement