Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I'd agree. I thought waterville was quite underwhelming when I played there last year. Handsome course, plays fair but it just didn't grab me the way other links do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Exactly how I felt. Especially with all the hype and talk that surrounds it of been one of the best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's just got a great location around the Ring and close enough to Tralee for the Yanks, any number of the Donegal courses better. It is a great course though...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I’d vote Old. Glashedy’s bunkering can be cruel. People will probably tell you that the Glashedy is a better and prettier course. I agree with the latter, but in terms of playability I think you’ll get more enjoyment on the Old. There’s a 9-hole par-3 course as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

@Kevinmarkham

Kevin - was probably posted before - but a long time ago.

But have you a list of the definitive links list - North and South ?

I'm getting very very close to doing the full 18 hole ones anyway - I don't have massive ambition to play the secondary courses on the championship set ups - but know there are a few that brake that idea - Like Rosapenna new courses are actually better than original. There are just some of them that are reduced size and length etc.

Anyway - would you have that list done up ?

Big problem now is the cost to play them - I know ways to play them (Winter etc) - but it is becoming more and more difficult.

• Advertisement

Interest to hear what you think of Waterville!

I would not discount the second courses, Cashen and Valley (Portrush) are excellent IMHO.

I'm five off having them all played (I think!), RCD X 2, Dunfanaghy, St Patricks and St Annes, if only I knew a member in St Annes

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dk1982

are you mad??? you can get St Annes tomorrow at 16.50 for €35 on golfnow.ie. You'll get that most days of the week at the same price too.

https://www.golfnow.ie/tee-times/facility/2334/tee-time/22843401#2

Good stuff, I did look last year but prices has gone crazy, I’ll aim for there mid month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I don't have a list, Fix. There are so many debates about what qualifies as a links and what doesn't. Some say Ardglass is a links; some say that Arklow doesn't qualify. There are others too that fumble through the links category too. How about Ballycastle which has maybe four links holes, what about Seapoint?

And I agree on the 'second' courses. Annesley, Valley, Cashen... and then there are those with third nines like Connemara and Carne.

• Advertisement

Waterville

So - at last, after many years of waiting - got to play Waterville. I'm on my final run of Links courses now - It has been a very enjoyable 10 year project.

Waterville, truly is a less accessible one in the deep south - Even when you drive from Kenmare out , it is a serious drive - one of them Kerry drives that when you look on the map it looks 45 minutes - but in the real world it is a different story. The drive is well worth it, as you just have to put your hands up, in your head (whilst holding the wheel tight, of the car) and say - ok, it genuinely is one of the most stunning places in Ireland. Now, before I place a full judgment on the course - I would say in my 10 years at this - it was the most stunning day I ever played golf - mid 20s up , hardly any wind. So it is basically the most perfect weather I ever got on a links - in a twisted Irish way - it didn't even feel right - and the old heads of Links often say - "It needs the wind". For one day I said - forget all them golf (over used) clichés - and run with the rare amazing day. carpe diem.

I fully expected to be paired up with a full American crew (Caddies etc) - I typically enjoy the novelty and "craic" - but the day in it , I wanted to get back for a swim with the family in a reasonable time. When I got there, it was all (well dressed and groomed) Americans as expected. Having a great time - but serious wealth around the place. I'm experienced enough now to know, the reality of Irish Links in the summer - the big ones genuinely have to earn their cash in a short period - I'm not entirely sure they know what to do with the Irish or to be honest, even want them around. The welcome was a bit peculiar - and they sent me out with the other solo player - a lovely London lad. The Dub and the cockney - was actually a completely different day than expected. The wonderful randomness of golf pairings at times. I was actually delighted myself with this as - we got ahead of the US Irish tour lads (a sure 5 + hour round).

The place actually seemed a bit quiet around the place - I was surprised with this - but apparently there is some massive Father Son event there that was held the week before - this would have absorbed many.

My new English friend, was a bit nervous for some reason (Off 12) - I had a few laughs with him and he was genuinely happy not to be on full display in a 4 ball with caddies etc - Only problem with this was that neither of us knew the course - I suggested that we get a course guide and read the pro tips. To be honest it is probably the most straightforward front 9 you will ever see. He had an interesting approach all day - 2 iron all the way , and it worked a dream. Me, driver all the way (a bad call on back 9).

The front 9 has really nice holes and on the still day that it was - it perhaps was not the challenge it should be. There is nothing dramatic. But the holes are very enjoyable to play. Flat links and subtle holes have grown on me over the years - perhaps that is experience - or the reality of older age in a deeper part of the body and mind. Paul (my English friend) was in heaven - I loved seeing what it meant for him to play a big one. At the 4th an American solo player caught up with us in a buggy - and wanted to finish the front 9 with us - he had played the course 10 times - yes 10. An American guiding the Irishman and Englishman around kerry - the making of a good joke..........

The American lad - was a nice lad, but, it transpired that he only ended up with us as he would not play with two women - yes - says it all. I'll be honest - for the front 9 I had a flash back to form and was level par with 2 birds. Conditions were silly easy, and I also get a sense there is a summer set up there, with easy pins and short rough.

Our American "friend" left us at 10 - and myself and Paul had a much welcome Bulmers in the midway hut.

The back 9 is a significant changes in pace. A far more dramatic landscape is used to create far more complex, interesting and dramatic holes. Between not knowing the course , the sun, and the Bulmers - I played the back 9 poor enough and was 7 over - and had a 79.

Overall Waterville is a joyful round of golf - in a world class level setting. The views and peacefulness of Ballinskelligs Bay are extraordinary - I know I got it on a bizarre day - but I don't think I'll forget that sound - and view - and mood.

Towards the end, Paul - started asking me for ideas for a few Irish golf trips - he was fascinated and envious of my Links crusade and experiences. He turned to me on 18 in his thick London accent and said - " the two of us, working class lads, having the golf of our life - on a top level course, you couldn't dream it up mate" . He played very well and was in heaven, I encouraged him as much as I could and he almost made eagle on 18 (tap in Bird). I loved seeing that Joy in him - It reminded me that golf can be more than a game in a persons' life. It can be deeper , it can be a life achievement, it can be a seminal moment for some.

carpe diem...........................

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

Nice write up, agreed on caddy, no need with just the odd blind shot on the back 9 where you can pretty much guess what was happening. I remember the last par 3 more than any other hole for some strange reason, I had a matchplay going and had to win it from memory so that's probably why. Day I played it was exact same, no wind, shorts and tee shirt and we were the first out too.

The isolation is great. Looking forward to St Patrick's Link, given it's already isolated and using only 18 of the original 36 holes I'm expecting very little sight of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Grewt write up. Breaking 80 on a new course, when your half cut on the back nine, is an achievement 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

Just back from a massive bucket list weekend in Donegal, played seven courses in four days, first time playing them all. We got unbelievable weather which helped a lot, not a drop of rain for four days and actually got a bit burnt a couple of days!! Some great value for world class courses.

Was an ambitious schedule, but we just about managed it:

Day 1: Donegal golf club - €60 (Golf Ireland rate) - really nice course, I thought it maybe lacked a signature hole (probably a bit spoiled with the upcoming courses!) wind was blowing around 35/40k all round, so that was tough! They had just sanded / rolled the greens and they were nearly unplayable at times. They didn't tell us in advance either. Would be well worth €60 if the greens were in normal condition.

Day 2: Narin & Portnoo - €65 (comp rate) - again got a great day, thought it was very scenic. Great run of holes of the par 3 6th to the 9th along the coast. The green for the par 3 15th is world class I thought as well, huge infinity green with that looks like it falls off into the sea, and then the view down 16 alongside the beach. We found it very tough, again the wind was blowing around 30k constant, and first time round there were a couple of times we weren't sure where to aim etc. (few new holes not mapped on GPS apps yet), and the rough around the greens was very penal at times. But very memorable course purely from the views.

Day 2, round 2: Cruit - €20 - possibly the windiest round we've every played, blowing constant 40k and gusting more, but really enjoyable. Really wild and rugged, and hard to beat the value for €20 once you get out there. Par 3 6th over the rocks feels like such a hero shot, and the par 4 3rd over the hill, was playing downwind for us, nearly went in the front bunkers at 290 ish yards with a 5 iron!

Day 3: St. Patricks at Rosapenna (got this and the other two Rosapenna courses for €195 total - 3 links ticket) - loved this, massive course, big wide open fairways, some big walks between holes, huge dunnes. You feel like you have the course to yourself on a lot of holes, dont see anyone else around. Just really fun. 14th is probably the signature, dog leg right out to the beach / ocean. Greens again had just been seeded I think, so weren't perfect but weren't an issue either, just a bit slow in places. I think the course will continue to improve over the coming years once it fully matures. Also not yet mapped on GPS so a yardage book is essential, although all the tee shots are out in front of you.

Day 3, round 2: Portsalon €60 (Golf Ireland rate) - really nice course, totally different to any else we played. Some really good holes. Greens were probably the firmest we played all weekend. 2nd is really good. Some lovely holes on the front, feel like you are in a valley / chute in the fairways with dunes either side, and framed by the mountains in the background.

Day 4 - Rosapenna Old Tom & Sandy Hills - just after McGinleys legends comp, so both the courses were in really good shape. Really enjoyed both, probably preferred Sandy hills a bit, lot of blind tee shots though. As with a lot of these courses, a caddy or 2nd time around would make a big difference! Old Tom course kind of loops around the edges of the property with some nice holes along the beach from 11-14. Sandy Hills cuts through the middle of the two Old Tom nines.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭swededmonkey

I would have rated the 5th in Donegal as their signature hole. 165 yards, all carry. Depending on the wind you could be playing anything from a 9 iron to Driver. The 8th is a fantastic par 5 from the orange tees up on the hill. Everything sloping left and right depending where you landed your ball and not bombing it is really important for quite a long hole

I played Portnoo a few weeks back and loved it. Although I agree with some of the commentary on this thread that the par 3's are the weakest point of an otherwise superb course.

Sounds like you had a cracking couple of days!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

I think your right on the 5th at Donegal. Next couple of holes along the beach are also very nice . I think just the wind and the state of the greens (and the other courses) affected our view of it - we were a bit spoiled! Still a really good course.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Well lads, now that 2023 is well underway is there any word on upcoming open comps or the likes for our favourite links? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Playing The European Club in the middle of next month. €90 which feels like it could be good value.

Anyone play there recently enough? All advice welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

Did you mean to post this in the links thread!?

I played it last month. €90 is very fair for it, it's a fantastic course. The only thing I could advise really is not to play it in a hurricane. Or actually, we had a great time in that weather. It was a lot of fun.

€90 good value for midweek in February, yikes

• Advertisement

Different times. I was looking for a midweek round at the end of January so rang a couple of clubs locally that I hadn't played to see if they had availability. Malahide were looking for €90 for midweek in January too!

But a links (kind of) near Dublin is always going to be expensive. If you want to play it and don't want to pay summer prices, then €90 in February is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭redhill

I played the European once in December 2021, it was the best course I have played and also in the best condition of any course I played in that year including 6-7 of the Top 20 ranked in Ireland so sometimes paying a highish rate in winter is acceptable rather than sky high summer rates

Well Considering its about €280 in summer. but the winter rate use to be €60 but like most clubs rates have gone up unfortunately. If it helps the member guest rate is €90 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Only ever played it in winter. Fantastic course

Played Strokes off the Tips years ago in not great weather. Bloody broke my heart and resolve.

Played Society golf off more forward tees, on a nice day, and it was very enjoyable.

Great place to play. I'd rather play it for a casual game though. I'd enjoy it more without a card in my hand

90 quid for Malahide...(OMG)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I assume that price means they don't want visitors. But they won't turn down silly money either.

Let's be honest ...Malahide never wanted visitors...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Charging a rate of €90 for visitors makes the annual sub 'seem' like better value to the members -i'd imagine is their game. Never played it myself, but heard it doesn't hold a candle to it's high profile neighbours. Speaking of which, I played old port for €100 ~2 years ago. Even had lunch thrown in at the 10th teebox. Please run that day again portmarnock 😍

Advertisement