Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing on a Full Bladder

• 21-02-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Given the emphasis this year on stopping the act of public urination by racers, is there an onus on already hard pressed organizers to provide portaloos etc?

At the end of the day, a call of nature is a call of nature, and the call will have to be answered.

Given the usually meagre facilities available (the one cubicle in the pub in Ballymore being a prime example) is there any plan for boosting facilities lest cycling turn into a competition for the rider with the largest bladder?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I read that but was thinking it was suggesting to be more discrete ie dont just whip it out and piss in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

I don't think so, I think they are taking a harder line this year. Again, interpretation is key to all of these things.

http://http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/important-notice-for-road-racers-from-commissaires/143

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

This is what is says
    Chapter T5 Article 2
    14. Care must be taken with toilet needs in the interest of public decency. Competitors or other licence holders will be penalised for any indiscreet action.

I've highlighted the important thing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Races in Ireland are run at a loss. If you impose additional costs on clubs running races, you'll have less races. How much is the rent of a portaloo for a day? €200?

I think asking people to act like grown responsible adults would be more sensible alternative

PS I dont race but do my fair share of long distance cycles so public urination would be an issue for me. Being discreet is key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

GoTilUBlow wrote: »
    Given the emphasis this year on stopping the act of public urination by racers, is there an onus on already hard pressed organizers to provide portaloos etc?

At the end of the day, a call of nature is a call of nature, and the call will have to be answered.

Given the usually meagre facilities available (the one cubicle in the pub in Ballymore being a prime example) is there any plan for boosting facilities lest cycling turn into a competition for the rider with the largest bladder?

Judging by some of the behaviour over the past couple of seasons some sort of action is necessary.
    Riders pissing willynilly all over the place are usually the same ones throwing gel wrappers on the road after 10 kilometres.
    It seems to be a mindset and there is no talking to these guys. The usual response is vaffanculo in english.

Everyone needs to empty their bladder before a race but discretion is the crucial word. Don't urinate against somebody's property or in view of the public.
    Use your head and be discreet when planning your wee stop and I am sure the comms will use their discretion too.

These days when I take off my jersey all of the used wrappers fall out, I find the handiest place is to just shove them up under waist elastic. Make sure they are empty though.
    Also, I noticed a lot of people tend to do this mass wee thing in front of peoples walls at times. That is probably the biggest cause of the complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It sounds to me more like they're asking people not to pull their shorts aside and piss on the move rather than not peeing at all.

Or of course, not stopping and pissing in someone's front garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Or piss in our pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

niceonetom wrote: »
    Or piss in our pockets?

Pissing in your own pockets is acceptable. In another riders pocket would probably incur some form of sanction, immediate or post race.

Knew a rider who just pissed in his shorts if racing in cold/wet conditions. He insisted it kept him warm and I don't think there is a regulation forbidding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

What's wrong with having a quick slash in a hedge?

ragazzo wrote: »
    Pissing in your own pockets is acceptable. In another riders pocket would probably incur some form of sanction, immediate or post race.

Knew a rider who just pissed in his shorts if racing in cold/wet conditions. He insisted it kept him warm and I don't think there is a regulation forbidding it.

Fair dues if you can reach your jersey pocket!
    Will watch out for the trail of yellow water from the saddle in future :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

On the start line at Ras Mumhan last stage 2 years ago, there was a guy chatting to someone beside him, while pissing himself, through his shorts, down his leg. Wasn't sure what the goal was.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,989 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Wasn't sure what the goal was.
    His socks?

Diarmuid wrote: »
    On the start line at Ras Mumhan last stage 2 years ago, there was a guy chatting to someone beside him, while pissing himself, through his shorts, down his leg. Wasn't sure what the goal was.

People go extremes to have a light cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

This how they do it in the Olympics (skip to 1.30) :)

http://youtu.be/XoetWCNmoOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Years ago in the Ras, at the start of a stage a mate of mine decided to have a slash in the middle of the stopped bunch and in mid flow they all left the start line leaving him facing the chief commisaire :) a fine followed, think it was around 93-94

Advertisement