Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippy cost per day

Options
  • 21-02-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Im wondering what the average cost of a good carpenter is per day. I need something made around the tall windows in my house and would like a quote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

tricky99 wrote: »
    Im wondering what the average cost of a good carpenter is per day. I need something made around the tall windows in my house and would like a quote.

Depends on who he is, how good his work is and how in demand he is. some are happy with 100 a day others want 300. €27 and hour is €216 a day and is a very good rate for a carpenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

with the amount of them out of work some chippies will work for 90 euro a day in some remote parts of the country now, and glad to get it The alternative is getting nothing. Dublin would be Dublin prices though, a lot more I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tricky99

thanks for that ...Im being totally ripped off my by builder then who has charged me 350 a day for a few days for a job done in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Ripped off? Is the carpenter working for the builder or for you? If he's working for the builder then the builder is adding insurance, transport, pension and profit to the cost as he is entitled to do. You should agree a price before any work commences and if you're not happy with the price or cant afford it, then don't go ahead with the work.

Thats a good point. I had thought about it other way - economies of already being onsite. So for other work I mgiht be better to wait and do extras when I can afford them. Yes, I should have waited for the quote you are right - after asking a few times it was delivered only after the work was done. I still think 350 a day is steep despite all the overheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

350 is steep. Shop around. Maybe make a few calls to uder employed carpenters in the midlands who wouldn't mind driving to your location. Offer a rate you can afford plus petrol. And lunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi
    A good carpenter is €125.00 + vat per day and if it goes through the builder you would be looking at €22.00 per hr + vat.
    Ball park figures most builders will charge €300 per day which covers everything.

The OP may not need to go through a builder. Chippies can be got for 90 a day if you shop around. Some of the Polish chippies are excellent, work very hard and are glad of the work.

thanks - to find a good one is the issue - there are so many on tradesmen.ie. So to do 7 rooms in a house and hallway with stright edge skirting 100* 18 thick labor and material what am I looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

tricky99 wrote: »
    thanks - to find a good one is the issue - there are so many on tradesmen.ie. So to do 7 rooms in a house and hallway with stright edge skirting 100* 18 thick labor and material what am I looking at?

Is it MDF the best way is to let the carpenter view it when you say 7 rooms is there a bucket load of miters in each room ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DenisCork

maryishere wrote: »
    The OP may not need to go through a builder. Chippies can be got for 90 a day if you shop around. Some of the Polish chippies are excellent, work very hard and are glad of the work.

I take it these guys are subsidised by the dole because anyone paying tax, buying decent tools and doing quality work cannot go anywhere near these rates. With tradesmen you definitely get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Chippies can be got for 90 a day if you shop around. Some of the Polish chippies are excellent, work very hard and are glad of the work.

And so to exercise your "human right" to build your own house , your "dream" - you choose to exploit vulnerable foreigners and avoid employing ( in the decent sense of that word ) people.

In my book you are not entitled to either dreams or rights.

DenisCork wrote: »
    I take it these guys are subsidised by the dole because anyone paying tax, buying decent tools and doing quality work cannot go anywhere near these rates. With tradesmen you definitely get what you pay for.

those earning very low wages have very little tax to pay.
    tools: all good workmen use good tools, but good tools last a long time. Tools are not very expensive: its a given that a tradesman has good tools. You can get good tools secondhand too. Look after them and they will last.
    Good work: no you do not get what you pay for, as many of the people who paid big money to tradesmen in Ireland during the celtic tiger have found out to their cost.
    In some areas of the country there are talented hard working people competing and glad to get bits of work, and who are glad to work at a keen rate rather than none at all.

4Sticks wrote: »
    And so to exercise your "human right" to build your own house , your "dream" - you choose to exploit vulnerable foreigners and avoid employing ( in the decent sense of that word ) people.

In my book you are not entitled to either dreams or rights.

lol lol. I have never employed a foreign tradesman in my life, but I know people who have. Great wokers by all accounts....just saying what I heard.
    Have a look at the clothes you are wearing, have a look at where your iphone was made ( China), have a look at where most of the hardware, sportswear, odds + ends in your house, your computer printer etc was made and tell me you never "exploited vulnerable foreigners" lol. The foreigners in this country are living like lords by comparison, that is why they are here.
    The fact is, wages in this country are a lot less than during the tiger period, the days of a chippie here earning literally more than a top rocket scientist abroad are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Hmmm. You are the type of poster the ignore function is provided for on this forum.

Good tools are not cheap I just paid 440 for a screwdriver set

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

DenisCork wrote: »

you do realise decent tools are not disposable, and the tradesman wont need to buy new tools for each job. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

Carpenter wrote: »
    Good tools are not cheap I just paid 440 for a screwdriver set

Fair play. Iv a drill here for sale, been waiting a while for a fool to buy it!

Squatman wrote: »

Is it 3.5AH:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Imo cost per day is a crazy way to do anything. Price per job is the way to go.

Price vary for different reasons. Customer expectation, different materials used or specfied, level of prep, access and location of the house etc etc.

A contractor can't price a job on anyone eles price. Eg Mary said this other guy will do it for x. That should have no bearing on my price. I must include my overheads, wage, product cost and believe it or not a little thing called profit.

Btw I'm not a chippy:-)

90 a day, lol gimme a break

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Chippies can be got for 90 a day if you shop around.
    we only want to here about VAT registered & insured tradesmen and if you are that, you wont be quoting 90€/day
    Squatman wrote: »
    back to the topic please. there's adverts.ie to sell your drill

Advertisement