Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CEO old FUD

Options
  • 21-02-2014 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

"Microsoft has hit back against the government's move to open source, claiming the change will cost taxpayers more and result in user "dissatisfaction""

"To be very clear, we are not calling for the government to drop its proposal to use ODF," Microsoft added. "Nor are we calling for it to use only Open XML. What we are saying is that the government include both Open XML and ODF.""

"Microsoft said software shouldn't be chosen on the basis of the file formats it supports, but on user productivity. "

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/387199/microsoft-government-switch-to-open-source-will-cause-dissatisfaction

My commnet: "Yes, keep the file formats mixed and half-closed, so we can claim LibreOffice and OpenOffice are useless. Then we will sell you subscription for our office package"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Yup - he fails to say why MS Office can't support ODF...

When I hear MS comment on anything open source I find if very hard not to roll my eyes.. It's clear that MS have a massive financial incentive to fight any move towards open formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

PrzemoF wrote: »
    "To be very clear, we are not calling for the government to drop its proposal to use ODF," Microsoft added. "Nor are we calling for it to use only Open XML. What we are saying is that the government include both Open XML and ODF.""

I think they have missed basic economics. Supporting two formats will be more expensive than supporting one.

Advertisement