Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found Credit Card

Options
  • 21-02-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I found a credit card in a LUAS machine this morning. What's the normal procedure here? I'm in work when banks are open so I can't drop it to a branch. Should I post it to them or just shred it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kelfy

I found one before and I phoned the bank it was from and gave the card details. They then phoned the customer to tell them and passed on my number so they could collect it from me!
    A bit long-winded but they can't pass the customers number on to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Ring the number on the back and report you've found it.

They'll most likely cancel the card for security reasons as it's compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Thanks folks, for some reason it didn't even occur to me to ring the number on the back. Obviously having a dozy day! Rang them and they said they will contact the customer and that if I don't hear anything by the end of the day I should destroy it. Cheers.

That's surprising actually, I would have assumed their default response would have been to immediately cancel the card as a third party now has the physical card in their possession and the bank is aware it's lost.

Although it's possible they have cancelled and just not told you anything too.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    That's surprising actually, I would have assumed their default response would have been to immediately cancel the card as a third party now has the physical card in their possession and the bank is aware it's lost.

Although it's possible they have cancelled and just not told you anything too.

It might be different if it was a credit card, I suppose? Through my doziness I realised when talking to them that it's a Visa Debit, not a Visa.

• Advertisement

It might be different if it was a credit card, I suppose? Through my doziness I realised when talking to them that it's a Visa Debit, not a Visa.

Doesn't really matter if it's debit or credit, the security risk is the same (actually worse from the customer's point of view for debit cards).

Once the bank's made aware the card's lost or stolen however, they should cancel it.

They may have suspended/cancelled it anyway and just not told you as you're not the customer.

The card owner got in touch, they work near me so they popped over to collect it. Worked out for the best I think, it would be a pain to be without your bank card going in to the weekend.

Advertisement