Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place and price for tyres in Dublin 15

Options
  • 21-02-2014 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend the best place and price for car tyres both new and seconds in Dublin 15 or surrounds - Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Discount Tyres in Rosemount would be my suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Probably depending on the tyre, but between Discount Tyres in Rosemount and Dave McCann in Coolmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Another +1 for Dave McCann

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Discount Tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Got a set of Bridgestone in atlas for a hundred a corner..
    Not bad.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

discount tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I'd never darken Dave Mccann's door after an incident we had a few years ago. Got a full set of tyres fitted to my wife's car one week prior to the NCT, I drove the car over the morning of the test, and taking the hub caps off in the carpark discovered one alloy was missing a nut. It couldn't have fallen off as the hubcap would have prevented it, it simply wasn't put back on. Failed the NCT due to this but it only needed a visual so no retest fee but still infuriated me. Discount tyres on the other hand were great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

alloy.........hubcap

These two things dont go......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Who puts a hub cap over an alloy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

In discount today getting work done and the amount of company cars/business cars as id call them(BWN/Audi etc)

So they must be good(id say cheap,but anywhere outside those car brand main dealers is cheap)

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Who puts a hub cap over an alloy?

Deery me, many many alloys have a center hubcap, what you both are thinking of is actually called a wheel trim, if you don't know the difference I certainly wouldn't be valuing your opinions on tyres.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Just as well I havent offered one so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jeffk wrote: »
    In discount today getting work done and the amount of company cars/business cars as id call them(BWN/Audi etc)

So they must be good(id say cheap,but anywhere outside those car brand main dealers is cheap)

Yeah, I used them before Christmas and found them great, very pleasant and went out of their way to help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Deery me, many many alloys have a center hubcap, what you both are thinking of is actually called a wheel trim, if you don't know the difference I certainly wouldn't be valuing your opinions on tyres.

I have been in this game for 16 yrs and while i know what a hubcap is the general public call wheeltrims hubcaps and therefore i answerd in that vein

Is that ok for you?

Does my opinion matter to you now?

<SNIP>

Gaspode wrote: »
    Just as well I havent offered one so.

Your contribution to the thread is duly noted.

nc19 wrote: »
    I have been in this game for 16 yrs and while i know what a hubcap is the general public call wheeltrims hubcaps and therefore i answerd in that vein

But you didn't give an answer? The OP came here looking for advice on tyres, instead you decided to try and score thanks, not by evaluating my post in any meaningful way, but by pointlessly highlighting some perceived error... the general public indeed.
    nc19 wrote: »
    Does my opinion matter to you now?

What opinion? You have not added to this discussion in any way that is of benefit to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^^^ :), says he to a respected thread mod. Bu-bye now.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    ^^^ :), says he to a respected thread mod. Bu-bye now.

Em.... goodbye to you too I guess

Have I been in any way abusive? Have I posted anything against the Boards.ie charter?

This has all descended into farce, so I'll say once more to the OP, Discount Tyres are in my opinion a good bet for purchasing tyres in the Dublin 15 area, Atlas can be okay depending on what decent brands they have on special, but regardless of where you may decide to go, for your benefit and the benefit of all other road users, stay clear of any tyre made in China.

Anyway, back on topic.

I have found Campbells garage at the (eastern) end of the River Road quite reasonable and decent guys to deal with. I had always gone to Dave McCann before and while he was reliable and reasonably priced, the wait was sometimes just too long for my liking (a testament to his popularity I guess).
    I also try to avoid heading anywhere near the Blanchardstown centre when I can possibly avoid it.

Posting a a mod now - leave out the personal attacks and bad language guys, not helping.
    Picking up on semantics and getting into a row is not helping the OP. If you've any more to add on the wheel trim/hub cap debate do it by pm (to each other, not me!)
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I always bought the tyres I wanted online.
    Found reviews, videos, pictures, documents.

Went for the premium brands as the extra safety of a "centimetre" of a good tyre vs bad tyre, at speed and on aquaplaning it makes the difference between life or death.

In fitting shops, they sells you the best tyres that fits their "reselling package" and stock. Nothing wrong with that either I guess, but not my style ...

My advise: don't try saving moneys on tyres, do it on something else, go for the best one that are out there !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

rolion wrote: »
    I always bought the tyres I wanted online.
    Found reviews, videos, pictures, documents.

Went for the premium brands as the extra safety of a "centimetre" of a good tyre vs bad tyre, at speed and on aquaplaning it makes the difference between life or death.

In fitting shops, they sells you the best tyres that fits their "reselling package" and stock. Nothing wrong with that either I guess, but not my style ...

My advise: don't try saving moneys on tyres, do it on something else, go for the best one that are out there !
    Could you post some links and where did you get the tyres fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Ive always used Quick fit/ fast fit/ first stop or whatever its called these days in Coolmine. Ive had lights and punctures fixed for free as few times there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Went to dave mccann a few times but after a few bad experiences decided to not go back again.

I go to the atlas now round the corner and get much better service. The tyres are pretty much the same price anywhere you go and depends on what brand you want to get in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

Thank you everyone for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

A small thing kinda related

If you look at your tyres there could be an encircled H this means it is a hard wearing tyre and you could get more milage for your few quid , make sure it has it on it

There are soft compound tyres but these are mostly sport type tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Discount tyres is where I usually go.

Wasn't impressed with the chinese ditch finders I was offered in other places in D.15

Advertisement