Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding calls for women only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I've seen stuff like this before and have to say it annoys me. Don't get me wrong I am all for encouraging girls into STEM subjects and would be happy for extra funding at primary and secondary school level to encourage this, as at that age peer pressure can have a big effect. But I feel at this level it should be a level playing field and everyone should be judged on their academic ability, this is for people who have been through a degree they at this stage know if they are interested or not and don't need encouragement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

See link

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/careers/item/35843-wit2013

The call is up on SFIs page too. How is this legal? If they were to announce a call asking only for male applicants there would be absolute up roar.

Sadly this occurs in a surprising number of countries. What makes it worse is that there are women in STEM at all levels. They may be under-represented but nowhere near the level of under-representation of other groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 S_Snail

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I've seen stuff like this before and have to say it annoys me. Don't get me wrong I am all for encouraging girls into STEM...

As a female who has been a minority in most of my work positions I am against very direct positive discrimination like this, having programmes to encourage participation by any minority group is good but this kind of separation does nothing to help women (or any other group) as it will always be hanging over you - 'You only got this job because...' and not because of your ability.

Although I would say since they are looking for postdoctoral researchers I would assume most of them are adults so you could have the decency to call them 'women' and not 'girls' as this doesn't really help your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

S_Snail wrote: »
    As a female who has been a minority in most of my work positions I am against very direct positive discrimination like this, having programmes to encourage participation by any minority group is good but this kind of separation does nothing to help women (or any other group) as it will always be hanging over you - 'You only got this job because...' and not because of your ability.

Although I would say since they are looking for postdoctoral researchers I would assume most of them are adults so you could have the decency to call them 'women' and not 'girls' as this doesn't really help your argument.

Did you read the rest of my post, I really think you have gone the wrong end of the stick on what I was saying.

I din't really say anything about positive discrimination, if anything I thought my first line 'I've seen stuff like this before and have to say it annoys me implied I was against it.

I also said 'I am all for encouraging girls into STEM subjects and would be happy for extra funding at primary and secondary school level to encourage this'.

When I said encourage I meant exactly what you said 'programmes to encourage'

My use of girls was correct as I was referring to children of school going age.

Advertisement