Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good option for Home VOIP provider

Options
  • 21-02-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

All,

Have been testing Freespeech.ie for last week to see if its an option to replace my mothers eircom landline.

So far Im impressed with the call quality. Looking at the home unlimited option.

Anyone using it and having any issues. All the posts I find are 6-7 years old and its moved on a bit since then.

Or is there a better alternative.

Would look at moving existing local number to freespeech. Anyone have any issues when doing that.

D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You cannot port your number to FreeSpeech.
    We currently don't support porting of numbers.

It's not likely we will support porting in the near future.

We advocate VOIP as an alternate/extra line until broadband providers can offer better quality of service. A major point on replacing a fixed line with a wireless provider and using VOIP (ie. getting rid of line rental) is that you have to be aware of the quality issues with VOIP and the reduced availability. This is realy down to the 'last mile' which only your broadband provider has control of. You may have a situation where at certain times of the day calls are degraded, you may also find as new subscribers are added to the same access point the quality degrades ie. it's ok now but in two months it's worse. We would not recommend getting rid of your fixed line if it's the only means of telephone communication (ie. you don't have a mobile) or you are using your phone where reliability is very important (such as office).

One of the main reasons we don't port numbers is because we don't like the trouble caused to a customer when they shut down their old line move to a broadband (wireless/cable) provider and find it's not as good as expected. That all said lots of people use freespeech VOIP as their main phone line and and are very happy.

http://support.freespeech.ie/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=54&nav=0,5

In terms of bandwidth, allow for 100kbps up and down per concurrent call as a general rule and you should be fine. Ensure you have QoS set up on your router so voice traffic gets priority.

In terms of other alternatives, the only Irish ones that come to mind here is Goldfish and Blueface. Goldfish are aimed at businesses, but you can subscribe to them if you are a residential customer, there is no contract with Goldfish. Blueface no longer have residential plans, but you can subscribe to a business plan, though there is a 12 month contract to it.

A new provider, Vomino have came out. How reliable they are I don't know, but if you have a search through the forum you should be able to get an idea of how good or bad they are. They are still new and the market in Ireland is limited unfortunately, most providers are aimed at business and residential customers usually just go with UPC or Eircom, bundled with their broadband.

There is a list of VoIP Providers here which might help:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250586

Shout if you have any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

I went for the trial with freespeech.ie and find it really good.
    One issue I noticed though was that the SIP didn't work on android app when on 3G or H+ even though I have it set to use it so I can receive calls when not at home.
    Its not a big issue and probably blocked by Vodafone until I was in a different town and the SIP app registered no issue to Vodafone and I could make a call.

When I went back to normal area the SIP wouldn't register even though it has 100% H+ coverage.

Are Vodafone selective in areas with SIP enabled on their network (mobile) or is it to be enabled everywhere ????

dfdream wrote: »
    I went for the trial with freespeech.ie and find it really good.
    One issue I noticed though was that the SIP didn't work on android app when on 3G or H+ even though I have it set to use it so I can receive calls when not at home.
    Its not a big issue and probably blocked by Vodafone until I was in a different town and the SIP app registered no issue to Vodafone and I could make a call.

When I went back to normal area the SIP wouldn't register even though it has 100% H+ coverage.

Are Vodafone selective in areas with SIP enabled on their network (mobile) or is it to be enabled everywhere ????

Vodafone block VoIP, however you can upgrade to a plan that allows for VoIP. It's written in their T&C's.

I think Vodafone is the only mobile provider that blocks VoIP on their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

As far as i know they are blocking whole udp traffic

Been using freespeech for a while now (home phone and app on mobile) and very happy with it.

A few questions though.

1 - there is a delay of 9-10 secs delay when I dial number and ring tone starts.
    If I press # it starts straight away but is there a way to set the Linksys SPA 3102 to not delay as much.

2 - I have to dial local prefix to dial a local number (061) is there a way to configure a plan so I don't have to do this anymore.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Been using freespeech for a while now (home phone and app on mobile) and very happy with it.

A few questions though.

1 - there is a delay of 9-10 secs delay when I dial number and ring tone starts.
    If I press # it starts straight away but is there a way to set the Linksys SPA 3102 to not delay as much.

You should set up a dial plan. To do this, dial **** from the phone, then 110# to get the IP Address of the Linksys. Navigate to this IP Address using your browser.

Click 'Admin Login', and then Regional. Clear off everything to match the below. Save Changes.

305691.png

Click Advanced Options under Regional, click Regional again and adjust to the fields below.

Dial Tone: 425@-10; 10(*/0/1)
    Second Dial Tone: 440@-10; 10(*/0/1)
    Outside Dial Tone: 440@-10; 10(*/0/1)
    Busy Tone: 425@-10; 10(0.5/0.5/1)
    Reorder Tone: 425@-10; 10(.25/.25/1)
    Ring Back Tone: 400@-19,450@-19;*(.4/.2/1+2,.4/.2/1+2,2/0/0)
    MWI Dial Tone: 425@-19;2(.1/.1/1);28(*/0/1)

Adjust the settings for the Control Timer so that it reduces the wait time.

305692.png

The above will make the tones sound and act like a regular landline.

Finally, for the dial plan while still in Advanced Settings Mode, click on Line on and scroll down to the bottom. Adjust the dial plan to this:

(999|911|112|171|19xx|141xxx.|1890xxxxxx|0818xxxxxx|1850xxxxxx|3xxx.|11[013-9]x.1[025689]x.|<:061>[1-9]xxxxxx|116XXX|0x.|*x.)
    2 - I have to dial local prefix to dial a local number (061) is there a way to configure a plan so I don't have to do this anymore.

Thanks

The last step above will do this for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the help.
    Heres an update.

Changed everything as below.
    All worked except I cant dial any number without the 061 prefix like 367xxx or 369xxx or 71xxxx. ave to use 061.

Delay on dial is down to about 5 secs which is fine..
    The control timer settings in advanced were already as per your screenshot.

All I need now is the ability to dial local numbers...

Mr. G wrote: »
    You should set up a dial plan. To do this, dial **** from the phone, then 110# to get the IP Address of the Linksys. Navigate to this IP Address using your browser.

Click 'Admin Login', and then Regional. Clear off everything to match the below. Save Changes.

305691.png

Click Advanced Options under Regional, click Regional again and adjust to the fields below.

Dial Tone: 425@-10; 10(*/0/1)
    Second Dial Tone: 440@-10; 10(*/0/1)
    Outside Dial Tone: 440@-10; 10(*/0/1)
    Busy Tone: 425@-10; 10(0.5/0.5/1)
    Reorder Tone: 425@-10; 10(.25/.25/1)
    Ring Back Tone: 400@-19,450@-19;*(.4/.2/1+2,.4/.2/1+2,2/0/0)
    MWI Dial Tone: 425@-19;2(.1/.1/1);28(*/0/1)

Adjust the settings for the Control Timer so that it reduces the wait time.

305692.png

The above will make the tones sound and act like a regular landline.

Finally, for the dial plan while still in Advanced Settings Mode, click on Line on and scroll down to the bottom. Adjust the dial plan to this:

(999|911|112|171|19xx|141xxx.|1890xxxxxx|0818xxxxxx|1850xxxxxx|3xxx.|11[013-9]x.1[025689]x.|<:061>[1-9]xxxxxx|116XXX|0x.|*x.)

The last step above will do this for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Apologies I forgot to change the amount of digits in 061.

Change the dial plan to this:

(999|911|112|171|19xx|141xxx.|1890xxxxxx|0818xxxxxx|1850xxxxxx|3xxx.|11[013-9]x.1[025689]x.|<:061>[1-9]xxxxx|116XXX|0x.|*x.)

Let me know then how you get on

Worked a treat...Cheers.

Is there a way to export or backup the configuration so I can keep a copy of it...

Mr. G wrote: »
    Apologies I forgot to change the amount of digits in 061.

Change the dial plan to this:

(999|911|112|171|19xx|141xxx.|1890xxxxxx|0818xxxxxx|1850xxxxxx|3xxx.|11[013-9]x.1[025689]x.|<:061>[1-9]xxxxx|116XXX|0x.|*x.)

Let me know then how you get on

You cant download the config file like you can do with Linksys routers.

But, you can go into the admin portal and save all the pages into a folder on your computer. To do this just go File > Save As.. (assuming you're using Windows) and save it to your hard drive. That's the easiest way.

Alternatively just copy and paste into Word or Notepad.

Shout if you need help. Set a password on the admin portal and you should be good to go :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I configured one of these for ages ago for 021 and a load of other stuff, so everything connects on last digit dialled, including most UK, all US/Canada, most continental European etc numbers.

I'll adapt it to 061 and post it up.

If your phone's not picking up the stutter dial tone for message waiting, you might have to select a US or UK one. Some handsets aren't programmed properly for European tones (which Ireland mostly uses)

Here you go, try that for Limerick City (061).

It should handle local dialling and dialling with 061 as well as most other Irish area codes like 01, 021, 066 etc etc.

(112S0|999S0|[2-9]xxxxxS0|061[2-9]xxxxxS0|06[2-9]xxxxxxxS0|021[2-9]xxxxxxS0|023[2-9]xxxxxxS0|02[24-9][2-9]xxxx|01[2-9]xxxxxxS0|118xxS0|04[0-79]xxxxxxxS0|0[579]xxxxxxxS0|0818xxxxxxS0|08[2-9][012346789]xxxxxxS0|08[2-9]5xxxxxxxS0|18xxxxxxxxS0|15xxxxxxxxS0|048xxxxxxxxS0|00442xxxxxxxxxS0|00441xxxxxxxxxS0|00443xxxxxxxxxS0|00447xxxxxxxxxS0|00448xxxxxxxxxS0|00449xxxxxxxxxS0|0033xxxxxxxxxS0|001xxxxxxxxxxS0|0034xxxxxxxxxS0|00x.|19xxS0|171S0|14x.)

It would be a LOT easier if Ireland (and most European countries) had standard number lengths!

Typical my VOIP box packed in during the recent lightning.
    I had the old analog phone line connected and it probably came in that way.
    Im looking at a replacement.
    As I don't need to connect analog line would this work too.

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/164941/Cisco-Small-Business-Phone-Adapter-with-Two-VoIP-Ports

It has 2 lines so it would even be better.

Its half the price of a replacement of the one I had.

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/Q155479/Cisco-Small-Business-1-Port-Router-with-1-Phone-Port-and-1-FXO-Port

If you have a voip box with multiple lines are calls between extensions external calls or are they routed via the VOIP box.

Typical my VOIP box packed in during the recent lightning.
    I had the old analog phone line connected and it probably came in that way.
    Im looking at a replacement.
    As I don't need to connect analog line would this work too.

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/164941/Cisco-Small-Business-Phone-Adapter-with-Two-VoIP-Ports

It has 2 lines so it would even be better.

Its half the price of a replacement of the one I had.

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/Q155479/Cisco-Small-Business-1-Port-Router-with-1-Phone-Port-and-1-FXO-Port

If you have a voip box with multiple lines are calls between extensions external calls or are they routed via the VOIP box.

The Cisco SPA112 doesn't have any FXO ports so you cannot connect your analog line to it.

It happened me before where there was lightening and it blew a Gigaset box I had. Since I have got a surge protector for the landline connection (both router and phone) and have had no problems. You can often find a surge protector with phone and power protection combined.

However, if you're not using your landline the SPA112 would be fine.

Note, the SPA3102 is now end of line. The quality of the Cisco one would be far greater.

I think the days of ATAs are coming to an end though as there's now way more focus on IP DECT cordless phones etc

We've got the Blueface Panasonic one (wouldn't recommend it as it's locked down so tightly you can't even adjust the key volume without Blueface's permission! Every menu's hidden other than very basic settings)

However, as a piece of hardware it's quite good and if you could buy it elsewhere (unlocked) it would be a nice piece of kit.

Sound quality's excellent and it's nice to have the combination of a desk phone and a cordless handset. You can also add extra handsets at about 50 quid a pop.

Compared to my old Cisco ATA, the sound quality is noticeably better and you've a lot more control of functions like hold, transfer, etc etc where as you're doing them with fiddly R button / flash commands on ATAs.

The Panasonic hardware seems to be pretty excellent though. I found some of the Cisco phones way too bulky for home office use. The Gigaset and Panasonic stuff actually looks a lot nicer in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

ATAs still have their use though, you can feed all the phone jacks in the house if you disconnect the eircom line and connect the ATA to the junction box.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

For me a router with VOIP is the better answer ... I can use existing analogue phones or existing set of DECT phones, so no need for specific phone hardware.

I know they're a solution for some people but the manufacturers' focus is definitely moving away from them and onto pure IP-based devices.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I know they're a solution for some people but the manufacturers' focus is definitely moving away from them and onto pure IP-based devices.

Oh I have no doubt there are more, and better IP phones, on the market today than ever before .... and hopefully much cheaper than they used to be.

At the same time the router manufacturers seem to be including VOIP in more of their products too.

Hopefully both will continue to improve and be available. ;)

Interestingly enough eircom's specification for their FTTC Next-Generation-Access product includes 2 analogue ATA ports in every access gateway ('modem')

So, whether you're using eFibre, Vodafone's Fibre, Digiweb, etc they all supply a VDSL2 modem that supports vectoring and has two analogue phone jacks for VoIP services.

• Advertisement

Interestingly enough eircom's specification for their FTTC Next-Generation-Access product includes 2 analogue ATA ports in every access gateway ('modem')

So, whether you're using eFibre, Vodafone's Fibre, Digiweb, etc they all supply a VDSL2 modem that supports vectoring and has two analogue phone jacks for VoIP services.

I have not had access to any of those devices so have no idea what the built-in VOIP 'support' is like. Hopefully it is comprehensive and not locked down.

I have been using VOIP for nearly 10 years now ..... first with Grandstream ATAs and then with suitable router.

I have been very happy with the router which has facilities for 6 separate VOIP accounts and GUI settings for Dial Plan etc.

No doubt things will continue to improve in the future.

I have not had access to any of those devices so have no idea what the built-in VOIP 'support' is like. Hopefully it is comprehensive and not locked down.

I have been using VOIP for nearly 10 years now ..... first with Grandstream ATAs and then with suitable router.

I have been very happy with the router which has facilities for 6 separate VOIP accounts and GUI settings for Dial Plan etc.

No doubt things will continue to improve in the future.

It's 100% locked down and remotely configurable in the case of eircom anyway. I'd assume it's for their upcoming VoIP service that might be an alternative to POTS.

It's 100% locked down and remotely configurable in the case of eircom anyway. I'd assume it's for their upcoming VoIP service that might be an alternative to POTS.

:( Not at all acceptable, IMO :(

:( Not at all acceptable, IMO :(

I suppose in their case they own and subsidise the gateway and they'll probably want a 'plug and play' solution that requires no user configuration.

Other ISPs all provide their own gateways so they can programme any settings they like. So eircom only controls eircom modems not anyone else's.

At present, I think only Digiweb is using VoIP the others are still using the local exchange for voice.

I guess its comparable to a UPC cable modem phone service.

You can plug in any other ATA or VoIP phone you like.

I noticed it's actually doing QoS optimisation on my VoIP traffic from plugged in devices too.

I suppose in their case they own and subsidise the gateway and they'll probably want a 'plug and play' solution that requires no user configuration.

Other ISPs all provide their own gateways so they can programme any settings they like. So eircom only controls eircom modems not anyone else's.

I guess its comparable to a UPC cable modem phone service.

You can plug in any other ATA or VoIP phone you like.

I noticed it's actually doing QoS optimisation on my VoIP traffic from plugged in devices too.

I think I would prefer to replace their modem with one of my own, that I control .... just as I can do now on ADSL.

I think I would prefer to replace their modem with one of my own, that I control .... just as I can do now on ADSL.

Not a hope unfortunately. They're using a technology known as vectoring which means that the modems *must* all comply with that standard or they risk interfering with other modems on the group of lines.

Basically vectoring allows the DSLAM to control the crosstalk and line noise on all the lines connected to it.

If you've a modem that can't support vectoring, you risk it introducing interference. So, basically the DSLAM will 'hang up' on modems it doesn't recognise!

Not a hope unfortunately. They're using a technology known as vectoring which means that the modems *must* all comply with that standard or they risk interfering with other modems on the group of lines.

Basically vectoring allows the DSLAM to control the crosstalk and line noise on all the lines connected to it.

If you've a modem that can't support vectoring, you risk it introducing interference. So, basically the DSLAM will 'hang up' on modems it doesn't recognise!

So the answer is to use a modem that does support vectoring .... but allows user control of its functions?

Advertisement