Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guards&australia

Options
  • 21-02-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,for the last while ive been wanting to move to autralia for many reasons but when i do i want to join the police force there just need to know do i need a citizenship to do this or anything else? And is there any other way of getting in? ie. Joining The guards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You need to be a permanent resident of Australia to join a state police force.

To join the federal police you need to be a citizen.

The first hurdle is the permanent residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 karl500

How do i apply for a permanent residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

karl500 wrote: »
    How do i apply for a permanent residence?

I think you have to live there for a few years and pay taxes for that then you can apply for residency. It also costs the applicant a couple of thousand dollars too.

That is a common question indeed. The below link helps.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170937

In essence you need to have a skill Australia needs or wants.

They sometimes recruit serving British an Irish coppers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

fartyarse wrote: »
    I think you have to live there for a few years and pay taxes for that then you can apply for residency. It also costs the applicant a couple of thousand dollars too.

You don't have to have to have lived in Australia for any length of time to get residency. And paying tax isn't a factor either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

occasionally the aussies open their applications for the police to foreign forces . you need to satisfy certain criteria for this though, over five years service with your own force, be under a certain age, stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi,for the last while ive been wanting to move to autralia for many reasons but when i do i want to join the police force there just need to know do i need a citizenship to do this or anything else? And is there any other way of getting in? ie. Joining The guards?

Unless you are already a guard in Ireland or have another qualification such as a degree or trade with suitable experience then your best and probably only option would be to join the guards in Ireland, do your training, get some experience in Ireland and then look into getting a job with the police force over in Australia.

Thank! Thats the way i hoped to do it

Thank! Thats the way i hoped to do it

That by far is the hardest way to do what you are trying to do within reason.

The garda are not exactly recruiting in big numbers. If you make it in chances are you will stay in.

It would be easier to get pr to oz then apply once in oz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Zambia wrote: »
    That by far is the hardest way to do what you are trying to do within reason.

The garda are not exactly recruiting in big numbers. If you make it in chances are you will stay in.

It would be easier to get pr to oz then apply once in oz.

From looking at the op's other posts I'm guessing he is quite young so getting pr without spending 4 years getting a degree/trade and a couple of years experience, then waiting for another year or so for a visa to be granted, then coming over here hoping to secure a place in police training would be a more difficult option in this case.

Any idea what would be the easiest option then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You could try PSNI or one of the UK constabularies.

aido79 wrote: »
    From looking at the op's other posts I'm guessing he is quite young so getting pr without spending 4 years getting a degree/trade and a couple of years experience, then waiting for another year or so for a visa to be granted, then coming over here hoping to secure a place in police training would be a more difficult option in this case.

Not really it could take several. Years to join the Gardai. Then once in you would need a good few years I about three after templemore is complete to be at a level to switch. So in essence that's almost 4 years there.

The wa and sa police are the only remaining overseas recruiters and with the huge job losses in Australian manufacturers at present they may not overseas intake again.

So the better course of action would be to study a skill set that will be in demand that you could see yourself doing. While doing this apply for the Gardai and psni plus any other uk force you can.

If one comes up you can lateral transfer from them. If ones does not then you have the option of using your skill to migrate and apply in all the states for their respective police forces.

Advertisement