Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run session before swim session - bad idea?

Options
  • 21-02-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a long-time commuter cyclist (15 years) and a recent convert to long-distance running (4 years). I've dabbled with a little bit of swimming on and off for about 12 years too, but now doing all three disciplines on a regular basis for the first time since joining a tri club.

Is it a bad idea to do a morning or afternoon run session (hill repeats, tempo session, VO2 max session) before a club evening swim session?

My calves and feet started to cramp after my first session last Friday. I put it down to the hill repeats I did only a few hours before the swim, despite doing a good bit of yoga stretching after the run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I find the same thng happens to me. If I run before a swim I walways struggle with cramps and the likes. If it was a tough run, I find swim times are slower too. If you're doing regularly the body may get used to it. I've not done it long enough to know. I generally swim first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hi,

I'm a long-time commuter cyclist (15 years) and a recent convert to long-distance running (4 years). I've dabbled with a little bit of swimming on and off for about 12 years too, but now doing all three disciplines on a regular basis for the first time since joining a tri club.

Is it a bad idea to do a morning or afternoon run session (hill repeats, tempo session, VO2 max session) before a club evening swim session?

My calves and feet started to cramp after my first session last Friday. I put it down to the hill repeats I did only a few hours before the swim, despite doing a good bit of yoga stretching after the run.

You couldn't have put more stress on your calves if you tried. Hill repeats=foot/calf angle at maximum. Swim=foot/calf angle at minimum. Not a great idea doing two hard sessions back-to-back anyway (unless you've a good reason to do so, ie being race-specific), but hill sessions followed by swim sessions should carry a general calf warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    hill sessions followed by swim sessions should carry a general calf warning.

Aw shucks, will have to re-jig my schedule so! I believe you're partial to some hill training too - will have to follow your log :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I've tried it in the past and it comes down to which is the more important session for me. If it's an important swim I want to be feeling fresh going for it so the run would have to be an easy one.If the run is the important session I have gone for a swim after to recover. Morning and evening though usually works ok for me though, but usually with the swim first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Aw shucks, will have to re-jig my schedule so! I believe you're partial to some hill training too - will have to follow your log :)

I actually gave up the hills for this very reason! I enjoy swimming; combining it with hills (even with a couple of days in between) was giving me too much calf trouble. However, everyone is different, and perhaps you'll react more positively. Your stretching and yoga might well see you combine the two with greater success; best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've tried it a few times, when the swim is the second session I find I underperform in the swim. No issues doing swim session in the morning/afternoon and run in the evening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I often do an easy run the morning of an evening swim with no issues. However a hard run session followed by a swim leads to calf, foot and toe cramps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

If you feel you have to run on the same day as a swim, why not do the main swim set with a pullbuoy? This will take the pressure off your legs and prevent you from engaging in excessive kicking that may lead to fatigue in your calves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd be thinking only do one of them hard - no hard running if you have a club swim session, only do an easy swim if you've done a run session.

Advertisement