Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro Repair Dublin

Options
  • 21-02-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey, so my MacBook keeps freezing up since it got a knock (no idea how it happened, wasn't in the room and no one is fessing up) the other day. I went into Apple who said the warranty was void because of physical damage and it would cost €70 just to get a tech diagnosis. The guy in the store (very helpful, it must be said) said it was probably the logic board and it could cost upwards of €500 to fix. This is not ideal.

I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere in the city (preferably the city centre. I'm willing to travel, though) that might be able to fix it for something a little bit more reasonable than that, bearing in mind the laptop is only 11 months old and the repaid through Apple comes out at about half the cost of the laptop itself. Much obliged for any help or suggestions you have!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

duaneap wrote: »
    Hey, so my MacBook keeps freezing up since it got a knock (no idea how it happened, wasn't in the room and no one is fessing up) the other day. I went into Apple who said the warranty was void because of physical damage and it would cost €70 just to get a tech diagnosis. The guy in the store (very helpful, it must be said) said it was probably the logic board and it could cost upwards of €500 to fix. This is not ideal.

I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere in the city (preferably the city centre. I'm willing to travel, though) that might be able to fix it for something a little bit more reasonable than that, bearing in mind the laptop is only 11 months old and the repaid through Apple comes out at about half the cost of the laptop itself. Much obliged for any help or suggestions you have!

I've no idea how accessible macbooks are but if this was a laptop the first thing I'd do is reseat the RAM chips in case one came a bit loose with the knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I replaced some RAM on one recently, very easy to open up, just undo a bunch of screws on the back. The only thing you have to watch when putting it back together is that there are two screws that are longer than the others, which go in the two holes closest to the air vent at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The motherboard would usually be fairly resilient to bumps and knocks.

The hard drive, then screen would have a higher likelihood of receiving damage.

Was the laptop on at the time of the knock?

Have you tried the instructions for the built-in apple hardware test on modern macbooks?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11342

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Advertisement