Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation

Options
  • 21-02-2014 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

Was all set to insulate my 150mm cavity wall with 100mm Xtratherm Insulation and was them quoted a cheaper price per msq. for Ballytherm Insulation (same standard)

I cant see how insulation can vary much (if thermal properties are the same) when there are no moving parts etc.

Is there any reason I should be unsure of Ballytherm? Anybody have experience using this brand?

Thanks
    Mrebel

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

basic production costs...........

it could cost one company X to product a product while it costs another company X + 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Ballytherm is fine I have seen it used over and over on many different sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

mrebel wrote: »
    Hi all,

Was all set to insulate my 150mm cavity wall with 100mm Xtratherm Insulation and was them quoted a cheaper price per msq. for Ballytherm Insulation (same standard)

I cant see how insulation can vary much (if thermal properties are the same) when there are no moving parts etc.

Is there any reason I should be unsure of Ballytherm? Anybody have experience using this brand?

Thanks
    Mrebel

No issue with ballytherm but why not go with 110 or 120mm insulation as you dont need a 50mm gap in the cavity and could maximise your insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Situation

I bought and used ballytherm on my extension, ive no experience with any other brand of insulation but the boards were off square and i noticed holes on the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sydthebeat wrote: »
    basic production costs...........

it could cost one company X to product a product while it costs another company X + 50%

True.

And remember, not all insulation is actually manufactured by the name on the pack..................some what would appear to be competitors, actually make insulation for their competitors but vary the colour slightly, or packaging to differentiate it. I have seen production lines in one factory making two brands of the same insulation.

Pricing comes down to volume they make/sell.

Just like all those breakfast cereal company's that make...'corn flakes' :P

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Situation wrote: »
    I bought and used ballytherm on my extension, ive no experience with any other brand of insulation but the boards were off square and i noticed holes on the edges.

This sounds more like an installation problem than the product. Block layers can be messy when not watched closely. If mortar is left set on the insulation joint it will result in wider joints and boards go off square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

This sounds more like an installation problem than the product. Block layers can be messy when not watched closely. If mortar is left set on the insulation joint it will result in wider joints and boards go off square.

If you had taken the time to read his post you would see he is referring to the insulation boards themselves which is very common.
    No where does he say that the boards were in-situ in the cavity.

A lot of the time this happens as the insulation boards have been wrapped too tight(in plastic) or else been badly stacked when on storage.

If you had taken the time to read his post you would see he is referring to the insulation boards themselves which is very common.
    No where does he say that the boards were in-situ in the cavity.

A lot of the time this happens as the insulation boards have been wrapped too tight(in plastic) or else been badly stacked when on storage.

And if you had taken the time to read my reply you would already know what the real problem was...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

And if you had taken the time to read my reply you would already know what the real problem was...

From reading Situations post he is talking about the product not the way it was fitted.

Maybe have another look...

A saying comes to mind- You can take the horse to the water, but you can't make him drink.

What I explained was not very complicated Dr Turk. Maybe the boards in there factory situation were wrapped with magic insulation warping plastic as you suggest. With years of experience of listening to the suggested symptoms I would digress as outlined in my previous posts... :D Its 2 different opinions and the OP can take which he wants( magic wrapping or poor installation) or neither if he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bryaj

in relation to costs a rep from xtratherm tells me that insulation prices are to go up by 8% at the end of this month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

bryaj wrote: »
    in relation to costs a rep from xtratherm tells me that insulation prices are to go up by 8% at the end of this month

That's Funny I was told similar about 4 months ago except it was they just gone up that week but if I ordered straight away I'd get it at the old price.
    Decided against PIR & went with eps instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrebel

Thanks for all the info.

I heard about the price increase too. Was told the same about roof timbers too! Probably wont be the last time I hear it :rolleyes:

Decided to go with Xtratherm after looking into it more and talking to my brickie.

Another thing I found was Ballyterm has F rating (untested) for fire resistance while Xtratherm has a C (Scale A-E).

Reason I decided to go 50mm cavity is, i am in an exposed area and am old fashioned. Don't like the idea of allowing moisture a bridge to travel across or to penetrate the outer leaf straight onto my insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭893bet

Timber has gone up twice since Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrebel

Ha! that shut me up.

It would be great to have a ware house to buy stuff now and store it. Hopefully it will stay put for another while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bryaj wrote: »
    hexosan wrote: »
    That's Funny I was told similar about 4 months ago except it was they just gone up that week but if I ordered straight away I'd get it at the old price.
    Decided against PIR & went with eps instead.
    893bet wrote: »
    Timber has gone up twice since Xmas.

Exactly, and this never seems to take root in the building cost thread. Materials are still, and will continue to rise into the foreseeable future. There is huge demand in markets outside Ireland for a lot of what we use, and it is those markets that are driving costs. Imported timber in particular is a good example, and importers here are having to bid over other markets just to get it - that's a material price premium, reflected in costs on the ground here.

Insulation went up by 15% last year alone.

And people expect building prices to drop ? :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭893bet

Low energy near passive build for 55 euro per square foot yatter yatter

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Quest

Does anyone know if the building regulations on insulation apply to an existing house that's only being done up?

So we're doing the family home up a bit and have decided to take the opportunity to put in some insulation on the interior of exterior walls (there was none there at all). We thought we could decide ourselves what thickness of insulation to go for, balancing room size with increased efficiency but a friend who is an engineer is suggesting we have to comply with the 2011 building regulations - which apparently require a much greater thickness than we'd been planning.

Does anyone know if that is definitely the case and if so, where can I find that in the regulations? We're just giving the house a freshen-up and don't want to shrink already small rooms and halls too much. Are we legally obliged to follow a regulation as our engineer friend suggests, and if so, what thickness of interior wall insulation are we required to go for?

Advertisement