Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Charge Offence

Options
  • 21-02-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Is a misspelling of my surname (2 B's instead of P's) enough to get me off the charge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

it depends on the judge if you appeal. I don't think every technicality gets you off nowadays especially small stuff like misspellings unless you want to go to the effort of paying a solicitor. Your licence number or reg no will be there anyways....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

usually the charge is just amended to the correct details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

simple answer - No.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sandin wrote: »
    simple answer - No.

+1 The anti-war protester Margaretta D'Arcy who's in jail for refusing to sign a bond to keep the peace was in court recently and kicked up a stink because the apostrophe was omitted from her surname in some court documents, she got short shrift from the judge. District Court rules allow the judge to amend the name and/or address if there's a clerical error so I wouldn't bother drawing his/her attention to it, it will get you nowhere.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/margaretta-d-arcy-protests-in-court-over-spelling-of-name-1.1690838

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mark1990

Is a misspelling of my surname (2 B's instead of P's) enough to get me off the charge.

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. It is along the same lines of Garda cannot arrest without his hat on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement