Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club or Country?

• 21-02-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Well.. as the topic suggests do you prefer your club or country?
    Do you prefer supporting your British club or the Boys in Green?

Personally I can't really understand people who would put a British club ahead of their own country. Generally speaking Irish people support a team based in a British city that they have absolutely zero connection with. No family there or anything like that. They just happened to start supporting Manchester United or Liverpool as a kid.

I ask these people, do you get more of a buzz seeing Dutchman Robin Van Persie score against Stoke and teams like that in the league or do you prefer seeing your fellow countryman Robbie Keane score for Ireland in a qualifier?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I love seeing RVP score against Stoke and King Keane scoring against everyone. Why do we have to pick? Can't we just enjoy to supporting both of them as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

I love seeing RVP score against Stoke and King Keane scoring against everyone. Why do we have to pick? Can't we just enjoy to supporting both of them as much as possible

Surely you you either prefer when Ireland get a good result or when Manchester United get a result

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Club over country for me. Make no apology for it.

As a kid, my answer would be the opposite however, but I think finally the folks caving in and getting access to Sky in the early noughties changed that for me amongst a few other national team things going on over the years after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

I prefer my Irish club to the boys in green.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I live in London, have done for 20 years. I have a season ticket at Arsenal. Live about a mile to the ground so they are my local team.

There is absolutely no contest. Give me Ireland over Arsenal. By a country mile. I enjoy seeing both do well but there is no comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Club without a shadow of doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

I'd be club over country too. I think it comes down to the frequency of the matches. Of course I'm interested in the National team, but the gap between games is so large you only take the fleeting interested in it around those games. Whereas at club level it is every week, hence it gets more attention, and therefore more interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I get equal enjoyment tbh, but i dont support an english team, i support liverpool.... we are scouse not english and all that, they regularly have a banner at anfield saying that but i dont know how to put up pics,maybe someone will do it for me;)

Do Irish people not get more pride seeing their country doing well rather than their English club (usually Man Utd as they're usually winning things) ?

Surely the people who say they prefer their British club would rather be living in the UK no?

IrishFans.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Club over country for me. Make no apology for it.

As a kid, my answer would be the opposite however, but I think finally the folks caving in and getting access to Sky in the early noughties changed that for me amongst a few other national team things going on over the years after that.

Same for me. Through the Charlton and McCarthy years I loved watching Ireland play. Kinda lost interest after McCarthy went but would still catch games here and there. Got less and less frequent over the years and didn't even watch any Euro 2012 games. With Keane involved I wont be going out of my way to watch any anytime soon either.

Some of you lads would prefer to be in with this lot.. Only in Ireland would you get fellas wanting a British team to do better than their own country

man-utd-fans.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    Surely the people who say they prefer their British club would rather be living in the UK no?

IrishFans.jpg

Im actually in that Photo. Can just about make myself and mates out:pac:.

Onto the question.

Its Country for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

IrishFans.jpg

Joekers wrote: »

I know. Pathetic

I know the Tranmere lads are from there but have Irish relations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Dundalk over Ireland every day of the week. Dont really care about the national team as the FAI dont care about out league so **** them

I usually find the people who put their foreign club ahead of their own country support clubs that have been or are successful. Man Utd, Liverpool , Chelsea and the likes. These people aren't supporters. They're glory hunters that Sky TV churn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I prefer following Ireland than following any particular club. The quality in international football is fairly dire (often even so at the very top) but I just find the coming together of countries to play games endlessly fascinating.

I watch a lot of club football too but it's purely to watch players and managers compete. I'm generally not rooting for any particular club when I watch a game (unless they're playing in a way that appeals to me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Country!!

How anyone could pick club is beyond me!

When Robbie Keane scored against Germany in the last min I had tears in my eyes!
    I felt pride and when the camera turned to an old man in the crowd balling his eyes out in the crowd it sent me over the edge!

I think that success and glamour is a lot to do with it.

Rightly or wrongly, most Irish people support big and sussessful English teams who are able to attract world class players and can therefore compete in the biggest competitions.

Supporting a country like Ireland isn't so easy, we might get a good crop of players that can actually play a bit every 20 years, and even then in terms of the world game we'll never able to win the world cup.

It's easy follow more successful club teams who through the way world football works will always have the revenue streams to maintain a certain standard...and fans become accumtomed to that.

When United and Liverpool won the champions league, did you see the streets lined with their colours, were people out celebrating in the streets, did the whole country get a lift, were there cars driving around with flags drapped over them?

None of the above happened because United/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal, as much as you may want them to, do not represent you...Ireland do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

HooohRaaah, are you going to just nitpick at the people who prefer club over country or add more to the discussion?

Like Professional Griefer, I enjoy both for what they are and would never pick one over the other when it comes to football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Yeah I'd take Ireland any day.
    Imagine if we won a WC or Euros (ok I know we wont so don't shot me for saying it) how the country would grind to a halt and be united in celebration. Sure we gave open top parades for a QF.
    No club could do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

For me this is what Football is all about, you can't beat being in Tallafornia at a match

Gr5C.jpg

21/25

So the OP created this thread to have a dig at those holding an opposing view to him? Nice. Not surprising given how these threads usually go.

Country!!

How anyone could pick club is beyond me!

When Robbie Keane scored against Germany in the last min I had tears in my eyes!
    I felt pride and when the camera turned to an old man in the crowd balling his eyes out in the crowd it sent me over the edge!

I think that success and glamour is a lot to do with it.

Rightly or wrongly, most Irish people support big and sussessful English teams who are able to attract world class players and can therefore compete in the biggest competitions.

Supporting a country like Ireland isn't so easy, we might get a good crop of players that can actually play a bit every 20 years, and even then in terms of the world game we'll never able to win the world cup.

It's easy follow more successful club teams who through the way world football works will always have the revenue streams to maintain a certain standard...and fans become accumtiomed to that.

When United and Liverpool won the champions league, did you see the streets lined with their colours, were people out celebrating in the streets, did the whole country get a lift, were there cars driving around with flags drapped over them?

None of the above happened because United/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal, as much as you may want them to, do not represent you...Ireland do!

I couldn't have put it better myself. You have hit the nail on the head with the final line my good sir.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    HooohRaaah, are you going to just nitpick at the people who prefer club over country or add more to the discussion?

Like Professional Griefer, I enjoy both for what they are and would never pick one over the other when it comes to football.

No. I'm curious at what people prefer and then i'll add my opinion. Is that ok?

No. I'm curious at what people prefer and then i'll add my opinion. Is that ok?

So long as you don't go telling other posters who they should support over the other or start telling them they are not real supporters, then we won't fall out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I usually find the people who put their foreign club ahead of their own country support clubs that have been or are successful. Man Utd, Liverpool , Chelsea and the likes. These people aren't supporters. They're glory hunters that Sky TV churn out.

Yep, that's why I follow Sunderland and prefer them over Ireland. Aside from the fact that we've been relegated 5 times and finished with then record low Premier League points totals twice during my supporting years and likely will be relegated again this year that is.

Bloody hell, some people prefer their club over country. It's largely I'd imagine because of the regularity of games, the amount of news/happenings at the club on an almost daily basis and the regularity they can get to games. It doesn't mean they don't want their country to do well or that they don't support them at all.

You forgot to include the "if anyone disagrees with me they are wrong" part of your OP.

So long as you don't go telling other posters who they should support over the other or start telling them they are not real supporters, then we won't fall out.

I don't think i've told anyone who they should support. Everyone is entitled to do what they want.

I like many others are just trying to understand why they would put a British club (usually extremely successful clubs) ahead of their own country. Very few can come out with a proper reason.

I believe Ireland doesn't give them enough trophies and success.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Yep, that's why I follow Sunderland and prefer them over Ireland. Aside from the fact that we've been relegated 5 times and finished with then record low Premier League points totals twice during my supporting years and likely will be relegated again this year that is.

Bloody hell, some people prefer their club over country. It's largely I'd imagine because of the regularity of games, the amount of news/happenings at the club on an almost daily basis and the regularity they can get to games. It doesn't mean they don't want their country to do well or that they don't support them at all.

You forgot to include the "if anyone disagrees with me they are wrong" part of your OP.

You can support who you like.

What part of Sunderland are you from? Good spot to visit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Country. I love watching Ireland play. Don't get me wrong, premiership and champions league is brilliant and I'm so glad its there.....but there is something special about international football.

Hope we get a good draw on Sunday! :)

I don't think i've told anyone who they should support. Everyone is entitled to do what they want.

I like many others are just trying to understand why they would put a British club (usually extremely successful clubs) ahead of their own country. Very few can come out with a proper reason.

I believe Ireland doesn't give them enough trophies and success.

And you want to know why they don't? Fair enough.

My opinion is that it doesn't really matter as to why they do or don't and my question to you is why do you care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Club. Ireland's home games are too far away to go to them all.

Hard to get in to following a team when you only see them on tv

For the record I would be a Spurs supporter. I just wouldn't feel the same connection standing in White Hart Lane surrounded by cockneys cheering on Adebayor, Soldado or some other fella who only moved to Spurs for the money. I went last year and in my head I was thinking "what am i doing here. I don't belong here"
    My country comes first though. Being in Lansdowne cheering on lads who grew up in the same country as us or have a family connection to this great place is what football is all about.

And you want to know why they don't? Fair enough.

My opinion is that it doesn't really matter as to why they do or don't and my question to you is why do you care?

I'm just curious as it's a unique situation that only Ireland really encounters.
    If we went through life like yourself thinking "it doesn't really matter as to why they do or don't" or asking "why do you care?" it would be very boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

I'm just curious as it's a unique situation that only Ireland really encounters.
    If we went through life like yourself thinking "it doesn't really matter as to why they do or don't" or asking "why do you care?" it would be very boring.

Have to say your post do come across VERY passive aggressive.

And the situation isn't unique to Ireland, with the exception of the likes of England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, and Holland you will have the exact same 'problem' with fans supporting the larger league. The closest example being Northern Ireland or Wales.

Wow.

And the situation isn't unique to Ireland, with the exception of the likes of England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, and Holland you will have the exact same 'problem' with fans supporting the larger league. The closest example being Northern Ireland or Wales.

Northern Ireland and Wales are both in the UK so they're excused from this argument. The Premiership isn't necessarily a foreign league to them.

Wow.

Great reply Nuri. Care to add anything else?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Tis this type of thread that raises that miniscule of pity for the mods of the soccer forum.

phew its gone again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Northern Ireland and Wales are both in the UK so they're excused from this argument. The Premiership isn't necessarily a foreign league to them.
    Just stop.

Er, I wouldn't say that. Ireland having people who support foreign teams is not unique. The premier league is a big brand all over the world. There are parts of Asia and Africa that are plastered with kids in knock off kits from the EPL.

People want to watch the best play. I'm the same, I make no bones about it. I prefer to watch Spanish, German and English football over the Airtricity league because the standard is higher. I get my "grass roots" fix from coaching kids during the week and get to play at being Mourinho on the weekend. After that, I'd rather watch Ronaldo and Messi do their thing than watch some lump. People want to watch the best.

I feel like Ireland is "my" team. They are the guys I support. But I still enjoy watching all the great football that's out there and you shouldn't be trying to make people feel bad for it or implying they are traitors or whatever.

frimpong wrote: »
    Just stop.

The people who put their British club ahead of their own country are getting very touchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

For the record I would be a Spurs supporter. I just wouldn't feel the same connection standing in White Hart Lane surrounded by cockneys cheering on Adebayor, Soldado or some other fella who only moved to Spurs for the money. I went last year and in my head I was thinking "what am i doing here. I don't belong here"
    My country comes first though. Being in Lansdowne cheering on lads who grew up in the same country as us or have a family connection to this great place is what football is all about.

Just because you had a moment, doesnt make anyone else wrong, i wouldnt want to be in whl surrounded by cockneys either btw

Great reply Nuri. Care to add anything else?

Engaging in any debate with yourself given your initial posts in the soccer forum, in this thread would prove utterly pointless. But please, ignore me and carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ireland is definitely not the national team to be following if you want that.:pac:

Engaging in any debate with yourself given your initial posts in the soccer forum, in this thread would prove utterly pointless. But please, ignore me and carry on.

You're not willing to engage. That says it all.
    You're the product of what Sky Sports has caused in this country.
    You'll only support teams that are successful and glamorous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Club.

Was going to add reasons but can't handle the criticism.

You'll only support teams that are successful and glamorous.

He supports Liverpool and Dortmund. If all he cared about was glamor, he would have chosen better.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

It is a very silly thread. There is no need for people to choose as the two are not in competition.

There is no obligation to support your country. You could have a principled objection to nationalism and support a club instead.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement