Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to meath.

Options
  • 21-02-2014 2:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

With the spiralling house rental prices in dublin Im looking to head to meath for a couple of years to save a house deposit.
    I would need to commute to dublin but the motorway seems grand.
    Has anybody ideas on where to get the best value for money and quality of life.
    Im taking the family with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

I lived outside Kells for 13 years and loved it. A quaint town and very easy access to the M 3 moorway if you are driving. Everything you neeed is in Navan which is 20 minutes drive from Kells. I would give Kells a consideration.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Depends what you are looking for really, I'd suggest visiting the main towns in Meath, have a good look around and see what you make of each place.

We moved to Trim just over 4 years ago and we haven't looked back. Great place for a young family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

If I had to do it again... trim would be my choice with navan a close second.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Access wrote: »
    If I had to do it again... trim would be my choice with navan a close second.

Is trim not hard to get to? Commute to dublin. Tolls. Hows bettystown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

jane82 wrote: »
    Is trim not hard to get to? Commute to dublin. Tolls. Hows bettystown?

Batterstown road, no tolls just a roundabout or 3 to get to the M3

I'm naturally going to say don't move into a town but rather on the outskirts to beat traffic in the morning. Consider Kentstown; you can cut through Skryne to get to the R147/old N3 and dodge the most of the traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

We also moved to Trim just under 2yrs ago, great place and so glad we made the move.

As for transport, i drive into City Centre for work (Barrow Street), i work nights and it takes me 45mins to get in, on the few occasions where i've had to drop my daughter off at Dublin port at 07:45 it's taken 55mins.

You can use the toll (1.40) but it really is just continuing down the R154

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

one thing to note tho is that Meath is generally a nice country but if decent broadband is something that's important to you then you will have to look carefully where you are moving to. Most of Meath is still on 256k-8meg broadband with only a select few areas where speeds beyond 8 meg or Fibre is available. Many rural parts of meath are still on 28.8k/33.6/56k dialup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Laytown/Bettystown/Mornington area is good. Easy access to bus and train, (Laytown station), easy access to the M1 with no tolls.
    You would probably need to move fast because prices have begun to creep up in the last 6 months or so and the number of houses for sale has gone down dramatically. Even so you can still get a good 3bed for €125k to €140k. Not bad value compared to anywhere in Dublin.
    I've just bought a very nice 2bed for €110k and I think I've got good value.
    Good luck with your search.

Gonzo wrote: »
    one thing to note tho is that Meath is generally a nice country but if decent broadband is something that's important to you then you will have to look carefully where you are moving to. Most of Meath is still on 256k-8meg broadband with only a select few areas where speeds beyond 8 meg or Fibre is available. Many rural parts of meath are still on 28.8k/33.6/56k dialup.
    I use the computer alot. Download the odd film. Im not a hacker or anything though. Will this be enough for casual use or is it early 90s type quality?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It's too wide an area to answer your question. You have to take a look at some of the areas first. Broadband availability varies widely from UPC fibre and Eircom fibre down through 24mbit DSL to virtually nothing depending on location. What broadband have you currently got?

While broadband and commute times are obviously important considerations, I personally would recommend you look for some nice locations to live first, and then weigh up the commute times, broadband etc. in each location after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm ten years in trim and I love it, but your journey to Dublin hugely depends where you need to go. I work in blanchardstown now and driving to work is like a stroll in the park. Before that though, I worked in east point and even though only eight miles further from blanch, it was a horrible, horrible journey.

Archeron wrote: »
    I'm ten years in trim and I love it, but your journey to Dublin hugely depends where you need to go. I work in blanchardstown now and driving to work is like a stroll in the park. Before that though, I worked in east point and even though only eight miles further from blanch, it was a horrible, horrible journey.
    where does it get horribe. I would be heading to beside botanic garden through n2 or n3

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

where does it get horribe. I would be heading to beside botanic garden through n2 or n3

It gets horrible from Blanch / Clonee all the way into town. No job, no amount of money would make me take a job past D15 . from Trim to D15 = 30 minutes , its great

What time do you have to be in work by, and what time do you finish?

Sorry I meant N1 or N2. Id be in work usually 7 to half 3. But I have 9 to 5 a fair bit.

I work not far from there, closer to Phibsboro actually. 45 mins gets me in, I usually leave around 6.50am and am parked just after 7.30am. R154 from Trim to M3, off N3 at Castleknock and take River Road, and depending then Tolka Valley down into Glasnevin. It's a doddle really, would probably take as long (if not longer) from some parts of Dublin at that time.

I'd be a bit further in actually, the only traffic I met is from where you'd be arriving at work. 40 mins should get you there, 35 mins by the toll route (coming onto M3 earlier), but €1.40 to save 5 or 6 mins is not worth it unless you are in a real hurry.

Way home is probably 50 mins, just a little longer in traffic - I leave around 4.30pm.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I work not far from there, closer to Phibsboro actually. 45 mins gets me in, I usually leave around 6.50am and am parked just after 7.30am. R154 from Trim to M3, off N3 at Castleknock and take River Road, and depending then Tolka Valley down into Glasnevin. It's a doddle really, would probably take as long (if not longer) from some parts of Dublin at that time.

I'd be a bit further in actually, the only traffic I met is from where you'd be arriving at work. 40 mins should get you there, 35 mins by the toll route (coming onto M3 earlier), but €1.40 to save 5 or 6 mins is not worth it unless you are in a real hurry.

Way home is probably 50 mins, just a little longer in traffic - I leave around 4.30pm.

You think that the toll saves you 5/6 mins? I've done both a lot and find them to be more or less exactly the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

As Falabo says above, past blanch can be bad. Finglas /Glasnevin wouldn't be as bad as you can work out the best route to avoid the traffic, but I would go for the n2, as n3 can be a pain leading up to the roundabout at the halfway house. All around phibsboro is very heavy too.

scudzilla wrote: »
    You think that the toll saves you 5/6 mins? I've done both a lot and find them to be more or less exactly the same time

At peak times, definitely, as even the short stretch at Kilsaran and the roundabout coming onto the M3 at Parkway will slow you down. Between that and the 80kph limit on the R154 and slowing down through Batterstown, it does save me time. Like I say, not worth using it all the time, and off peak it's probably less of a saving.
    Archeron wrote: »
    As Falabo says above, past blanch can be bad. Finglas /Glasnevin wouldn't be as bad as you can work out the best route to avoid the traffic, but I would go for the n2, as n3 can be a pain leading up to the roundabout at the halfway house. All around phibsboro is very heavy too.

Come off N3 before that at Castleknock (left at Little Chef) and take River Road past Ashtown apartments into the back of Finglas. If going to Glasnevin, you meet zero traffic from Trim until you actually get into Glasnevin (either past Met Office or cemetery depending on your destination). N2 coming down into Finglas can get slow, so many traffic lights. I'd do anything to avoid traffic lights. :)

Does anybody know what bettystown is like to live in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Does anybody know what bettystown is like to live in?

I have just bought a house in Bettystown. Before I did that I did a good bit of research about the area. It has expanded a huge amount in the last ten years so that now there is development all along the coast from Laytown to Mornington.
    Most of the estates are good quality with good open spaces, except in Bettystown village center itself where there is some ugly development. The beaches are beautiful. There are good schools in the area and there is a Tesco supermarket.
    There are a couple of restaurants and cafés.
    The main advantage is that there is a mainline train station in Laytown and access to the M1 is easy, (about 25 mins to the Airport). There is also a reasonable bus service.
    I hope this is of some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

another vote for trim, was in there walking today and its just such a beautiful place. hoping to move back to trim when my daughter finishes primary school, i really miss it so much. stuck in summerhill for now though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Dunboyne too close to Blanch to recommend it to anyone?

Galego wrote: »
    Dunboyne too close to Blanch to recommend it to anyone?

I think its too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

I think its too expensive.

My next suggestion would be Dunshaughlin.

Have you checked prices there?

Close enough to Dublin but still has that village feeling if that is what you are looking for.

Advertisement