Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing MS office from xp to win 8.1??

Options
  • 21-02-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

hi,
    I am using a slim book type laptop atm HP with win 8.1 It has no cd drive in it. but it did come preinstalled with MS office. But the trial is now finished.

I didnt really like the office 13 anyway. Its too gimiky. I dont need cloud and all those bells and whistles and being linked to an email address which i usually forget anyway.

NowI have a cd of MS office 08 or 09 or whateveer it was lying around. It was a 3 use cd.
    It was used on my old acer xp. And worked fine, but a little slow.

Heres the questions.......

Can I uninstall and delete microsoft office on my win 8.1 laptop and then connect the acer xp laptop to win 8.1 laptop using red cable that came in the router box and upload win office to the win8.1 laptop that way.

Is it possible. Come to think of it is it possible you can make sense of what im trying to say:pac:

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If W8.1 supports the version of MS Office you have then yes. If you connect both your Laptops to your router and put them in the same workgroup, not Windows HOMEGROUP. You can share the cd drive on the ASUS and thus access the Office cd from the HP in order to Install Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

can't you use a usb thumbdrive to move the installation files to the notebook?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Its probably Office 2007 that you have. 2007 works fine under Windows 8.1 and shouldn't be an issue to activate it. If you already activated it on 3 machines you may need to activate via phone and explain the situation to a Activation rep. As above using a USB key copy the install files (i.e: all files on the office disc) to a folder on the USB key then run the setup.exe application on the slimbook to begin the Office install is probably the easiest option

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Thank you all. I will look more into the usb idea. Problem is not the computer, but the person running it me :) Im a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff. But as i see thumb drive is just copying files to a usb. Easy I hope. And yes its ms office 2007 home.

At the bottom of the box it says its licensed for 3 pcs...not for use in any commerical blah blah.
    Ive only used it once on the acer xp so far. so that means ive two left. I will try it tomorrow and report back
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Download a backup copy from the below website it'll ask you for your product key which should be in the booklet of your cd box or on the back of the cd box.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/products/download-back-up-restore-microsoft-office-products-FX103427465.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement