Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting the cat on a raw meat diet

• 21-02-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I'm going to keep this short because im on the phone.
    I want to do a trial run with a raw food diet. What I got her is beef liver, muscle meat (beef?), 2lambs hearts some marrow and then I picked up two fish heads(whiting?)
    Is there anything else that she needs? I'm going to head down tomorrow evening and see can they grind up a chicken bones.
    Since she's a cat and not a dog vegetables are out. I can also feed her egg yolks she's not pushed on eating the white. (I dropped an egg before and she ate most of the yolk but didn't want the white)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd recommend at doing a split between raw and kibble at the start to ensure they get all the stuff they need. Also be aware if your cat is not used to eating bigger chunks they may turn their nose up at it. I've trained two of our foster cats up to eating stew sized chunks so far (2cm x 2cm) but our original kibble only fed cats will only sniff at it and walk away (sadly).

Also remember the split; from memory you should have around 10 to 15% intestine/hearts, 5 to 10% bones and rest mix of meat similar to if they caught a mice basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

She tried to take on a whole turkey before and I already give her offal and bits of meat. She's even grabbed a lambs heart before ran away and jumped through the window, the thing was bigger than her head!
    How much food should she get, she's average about 4.5kg
    I'd like to try just feeding her raw for a while, she has a health problem which i want to see if it gets better. Im going to try her on dry food again after a month

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

2 to 4% of body weight so 90 to 180g as a starting point but adjusted up or down depending on how your cat is doing on the amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My cats didn't take to the raw food diet. We give them kibble and a little wet food each day, but in addition to that they get raw chicken breast, raw mince and raw salmon during the week too.

Advertisement