Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver problem

• 21-02-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have a pc running w7 home prem. 64bit, I recently installed cctv video card which was supposedly compatible but windows will not recognise the driver. To get it working I have to disable 'Driver Sig. Enforcement' during boot up which is fine unless the pc boots up when I am not there. Is there any permanent way to disable the driver enforcement.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

There is no MS way to disable it, though it's possible to try a bcedit hack that turned off driver verification but that was stopped by Vista and various updates since. It doesn't work on Windows 7. Driver signing is to prevent malware installing with device drivers, It's only enforced on 64bit versions of Windows.

There's a test mode you can put Windows in to but you're leaving it vulnerable to unscrupulous driver hackers. If you're desperate though you can open an elevated command prompt and enter:

bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON

You will get a warning at the bottom right of the screen that you are in test mode.

When Windows warns about the driver does it offer any form of certificate be it invalid or what ever ? It's possible to install the certificate into your personal store which should work.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Thanks for reply, will check for any cert warning tomorrow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

other option is to search for an updated driver , use the pci ID you get in device manager to search for similar cards on the off chance one of their drivers might work, most likely that would be a wild goose chase though

did the cctv card specifically say it was compatible with w7 64bit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

other option is to search for an updated driver , use the pci ID you get in device manager to search for similar cards on the off chance one of their drivers might work, most likely that would be a wild goose chase though

did the cctv card specifically say it was compatible with w7 64bit ?
    bought of ebay & description stated 64 bit compatability, contacted the seller but not holding my breath on getting sw update anytime soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Traitor

Did you check the mfgr website for a signed driver? Who made the card, what are it's PCI/VEN_&DEV_&REV_ id's?

• Advertisement
Advertisement