Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Holiday to 186 Sponsored Visa

Options
  • 21-02-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everybody,

I'm about to head out to Melbourne for at least the year on the 417 - Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa. The plan is just to see how it goes and try get any work I can.

However, I was also going to apply for some work in my "real job" field and I'm just wondering my options if I manage to get such a job and want to stay with that company for longer than 6 months.

I've a Masters in Advertising and would be looking to get work as a copywriter. Of course, a wishy washy job like that as far as I can tell, isn't covered under the 457 Skilled Temporary Work Visa.

The 186 Visa seems to be my best bet, if I could convince a company to sponsor me. Does anyone have any experience getting sponsorship if they're not on the skill list? Would this work or am I being overly optimistic/barking up the wrong tree?

Any help/advice you could give me would be great!

Thanking you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If it's not on the 457 list then it's not on the 186 list either, they both use the same CSOL list.

To qualify for a 186 you need a skills assessment and 3 years relevant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Super_Door

Hi and thanks for the reply!

OK my mistake I thought the 457 uses the SOL list. But if it uses the CSOL list then I'm sorted!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 movingawaynz

is this different to normal working holiday visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

is this different to normal working holiday visa?
    No, same thing.
    417 - Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa is the proper name for the working holiday visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If it's not on the 457 list then it's not on the 186 list either, they both use the same CSOL list.

To qualify for a 186 you need a skills assessment and 3 years relevant experience.

Out of curiosity how do you prove the 3 years experience? Payslips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

BGozIE wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how do you prove the 3 years experience? Payslips?

P60, P45 & P21 etc and Letter from previous employers detailing your duties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

Super_Door

Copywriter is eligible for 457 sponsorship as it is on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations list under ANZSCO 212411.

When did you finish your Masters? As Mandrake04 said, If you have 3 years relevant post-qual experience you may be eligible for the 186 off the bat if you can find a sponsor willing to do so.

If you can't find a willing sponsor immediately, the best course of action appears to be

417 -> work/prove yourself for 6 months -> 457 -> 2 years with employer -> 186 through Temp Residence Transition stream

Useful site: http://www.anzscosearch.com/212411.php

Regards
    Niall O'Rourke
    MARN1277979

Advertisement