Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Holiday hours

Options
  • 21-02-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hey all,

Hope someone can help me. I work as a shift worker in which I am expected to work weekends and bank holidays if I am rostered to do so. I have been working for the company as a relief worker since last June, from June to December I had been working as relief so I could work as much or as little as I wanted to, and could choose to take days off when ever I liked, but since December I have been changed to a three month line relief contract, so now I am rostered to 165 hours, set days with no choice. I have not seen my contract for this role as of yet, but when I enquired about annual leave I was informed I am only entitled to 8 percent of what I work. But I am wondering if I am entitled to any hours back for working bank holidays.

Hope someone can help me.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you get paid extra for working bank holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you get paid extra for working bank holidays?

No I dont get paid extra for Bank Holidays or Weekends

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

From Citizens information
    Rules

Your entitlement to public holidays is set out in the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. Most employees are entitled to paid leave on public holidays. One exception is part-time employees who have not worked for their employer at least 40 hours in total in the 5 weeks before the public holiday.

Employees who qualify for public holiday benefit will be entitled to one of the following:

A paid day off on the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    A paid day off within a month of the public holiday

The Organisation of Working Time Act provides that you may ask your employer at least 21 days before a public holiday, which of the alternatives will apply. If your employer fails to respond at least 14 days before the public holiday, you are entitled to take the actual public holiday as a paid day off.
    Part-time employees

If you have worked for your employer at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks before the public holiday and the public holiday falls on a day you normally work you are entitled to a day's pay for the public holiday. If you are required to work that day you are entitled to an additional day's pay.

If you do not normally work on that particular day you should receive one-fifth of your weekly pay. Even if you may never be rostered to work on a public holiday you are entitled to one-fifth of your weekly pay as compensation for the public holiday.

In all of the above situations your employer may choose to give you paid time off instead of pay for the public holiday.

You are entitled to an extra days pay or a day off if you worked more than 40 hours in the five weeks before the bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Stheno wrote: »
    From Citizens information

You are entitled to an extra days pay or a day off if you worked more than 40 hours in the five weeks before the bank holiday

Thanks for that. Thats what I was thinking. Hope fully my boss will see it that way.

Advertisement