Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

using lower Ampere charger

• 21-02-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    I have a lenovo T410 thinkpad, 2nd hand.
    It came with a non-original charger with the specs:

Input 100-240V - 50/60Hz
    Output: 20V - 4.5A

unfortunately is not working anymore.
    I have a charger for lenovo thinkpad T430 and tried to connect it's working.
    It gave a message that has a lower power and it's

Input: 100-240V - 50/60Hz
    Output: 20V - 3.25A

It is working and it's charging.
    But am I doing anything bad to the laptop? is it dangerous?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Check the official power specs online, but should be OK, not likely to damage the laptop. Maybe avoid using the optical drive, and lower the screen brightness if you can to reduce consumption. Keep an eye on the power adapter too in case it starts getting stupidly hot (they all get pretty warm)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A charger is designed to power a laptop and charge the battery at the same time.

So as long as you aren't doing both at the same time then a slightly lower rated power supply should be fine.

If however your is flat then you may have to let it charge a bit before you can turn on the laptop as the PSU on it's own may not have enough umph.

If the laptop gave a warning about the psu then it's likely (depending on the message) that it's OK and may go into a lower power mode to compensate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Yes I am using it charging the battery and using the laptop without AC attached.
    The initial message is that the computer performance will be adapted to the power.
    So I suppose it should not be a problem.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The original charger is 90 Watt the replacement is 65 Watt so it will take approximately 50% longer to charge the battery. The output voltage is the same, the amperage is lower so it won't cause any damage.

Advertisement