Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Game Feedback

• 21-02-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Right folks, so just after Christmas I decided I would embark on a bit of game design. I chose Unity as my weapon of choice and tore into getting at least a proof of concept together. I have just put up on Kongregate my first venture into the gaming world and would really appreciate some real world feedback if it wasn't too much trouble.

The game is called Telehandler Express (teleporter to us Irish folk) and while simple looking it has involved some complicated mathematics and problem solving approaches so while it wont win any beauty awards I am proud to have something out there.

So if you have a few minutes to spare I would appreciate you checking it out and letting me know what ya thinks.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/brigina/telehandler-express

Cheers,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing your game. It's a nice start.

As for suggestions for improvement, here are a few.

1. Add a non uniform background so the user can gauge how fast they are moving.
    2. Add some sound effects. Crane arm moving, box moving, vehicle moving, level complete. If you don't want to pay for them, check out freesound.org, and look for Creative Commons 0 sounds (you can use in commercial projects without attributing)
    3. Tell the user what they are supposed to be doing. Just a few lines.
    4. Add a box collider to detect if the vehicle falls off. If the user hasn't paid attention to the controls, they won't be able to continue.
    5. Maybe adding a timer might be good to add a bit of challenge
    6. Box sometimes falls through arm. Maybe increase the width of the arm, or fiddle with the collision detection. You could also try edit -> project settings -> min penetration (set to 0)
    7. Add some music. Have a look at incompetech (you will have to credit)

Anyway, keep at it : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A few things I've noticed.

As said before, the crate sometimes falls through the arm. Also, if you raise the arm over and past the crate and pull it in between the arm and the vehicle, it forces the vehicle into reverse so you inevitably fall off backwards.

Fair play. I wish I had the patience to stick with Unity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Well done on the game, it plays very well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 brianki

I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to respond, it is very very much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

I enjoyed it as a concept, it works well as a 2D game too.

Perhaps add in collision detection for the exploding boxes with the forklift so if it blows up a tire the level resets.

As Kilgore said adding some sort of progression system would be a nice touch, possibly a timer with a score for getting a fast time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Dont let the user bring the arm back beyond a certain angle, if you go anti clockwise eventually it collides with the front wheel and all sorts of things happen with the physics as a result.

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Check out Happy Wheels on youtube, maybe it will give you some ideas ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW99sBf4BUI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

You have a nice concept there :) I've only given it a quick go but i think it has potential!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Add some more weight and friction to the box object. Maybe have different objects with different weights and friction.

Advertisement