Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summit Bagging

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Alun wrote: »
    There were 8 of us out, we did come across a couple of groups of 5 or 6 and a couple of guys together I think. I was concentrating too hard on not being blown over to take too much notice of who we met to be honest!

Yes, it's a nice area all right. If you head north a few kms from Seahan along the edge of the forest, you get some nice views of the Boharnabreena reservoirs and the Glenasmole Valley over to the Featherbeds and the Dublin Mts., as well as views out over Dublin, Dublin Bay, Howth and beyond.

We were the two guys, i think everybody up there was motoring along trying to get out of that wind;)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

I've being up around tonlagee a few times now and crossed the river ad glenmac nass, i was just wondering why there is not a foot bridge there as all times ive being there i had to walk a long way to find a crossing point rather than have to wade across.

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    I've being up around tonlagee a few times now and crossed the river ad glenmac nass, i was just wondering why there is not a foot bridge there as all times ive being there i had to walk a long way to find a crossing point rather than have to wade across.

It would certainly be handy, judging by the trails that are worn in up there it must be a popular enough walk.

However i could see problems with bringing even more litter to the area immediately the other side of the river, in the woods there, which is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Very good question! I have heard various stories about the building of such a bridge over the years, but I'm not sure about how true they are, and wouldn't want to relay incorrect information on a public forum.

EDIT: Did a bit of Googling and found this article on mountainviews.ie that gives a summary of what I had heard through the grapevine ...

http://mountainviews.ie/motleyviews/general/comment/5904/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I think there was a footbridge there for a while in the 1990s? A little upriver from the carpark. It was 'controversial' and was helped on it's way during a particularly large flood.

River crossings are part & parcel of hillwalking and mountaineering. It's an important skill to be able to judge where, when and how to cross a river. And of course, to judge when & where not to attempt it. It's one of the dodgier parts of an otherwise relatively safe past time. So there are people would feel that the Glenmacanass river here should be left as it is, as a place where people should learn & appreciate this skill. Handy when you go elsewhere in the country or over to Scotland etc., where there are plenty of mountain rivers of size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

the only reason i mention it is that the waterfall is a big attraction and there is a great big carpark there and to look at any map with several trails around on the south side of the river one could be forgiven for thinking there is a bridge there. i had to walk two k's up river with my wife some months ago to find a half way safe crossing point. i managed to cross but the wife walked for another km before finding a crossing point she was comfortable with. many other groups would just chance jumping from rock to rock and end up in the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

How is the challenge coming along?

It's something I was at myself (Paddy Dillon's book was acting as my list) but work + family commitments mean that my progress is slow/non-existent. Normally try and grab a top or two if away on a break, got through all the Mournes and a fair bit of the Wicklows but most of the other involve day excursions which isn't feasible at the moment.

Great challenge all the same and a great way to see the country!

paulocon2 wrote: »
    How is the challenge coming along?

It's something I was at myself (Paddy Dillon's book was acting as my list) but work + family commitments mean that my progress is slow/non-existent. Normally try and grab a top or two if away on a break, got through all the Mournes and a fair bit of the Wicklows but most of the other involve day excursions which isn't feasible at the moment.

Great challenge all the same and a great way to see the country!

Has taken at back seat this last few weeks as both me and my walking buddy have exams.

Hope to get out next weekend at least once in wicklow.

We will definitely be heading further afield during the summer, with the comeraghs and the reeks being the priority;)

Advertisement