Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jockey Eile Requirements

Options
  • 21-02-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm just wondering what the requirements are for the 2014 jockey eile series?? Like what age, weight, pretty much all the details, and what is included in the trials to get in??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Google throws up a few helpful results that you may find useful:

http://www.abumedia.com/news/jockey-eile-2-call-for-entrants

https://www.facebook.com/JockeyEile

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

I did it last year (2013) just emailed an application there was no real requirements you needed i think they excepted everybody that applied to the first round. but i know from experiance make sure you're fit because the fitness end of the day is the hardest of all it will drain you the riding side is simple enough its just being lunged without stirrups or reins and they just watch. if you've any questions just ask me much more happened on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Thegrasshopper

I did it last year (2013) just emailed an application there was no real requirements you needed i think they excepted everybody that applied to the first round. but i know from experiance make sure you're fit because the fitness end of the day is the hardest of all it will drain you the riding side is simple enough its just being lunged without stirrups or reins and they just watch. if you've any questions just ask me much more happened on the day!
    Thank you so much! What time of the year was the trial? What kind of fitness was it? If running? What distance? I'm so sorry for all the questions! I'm 16 and 9 and 1/2 stone, will that have a disadvantage on me?? Might they not take me because I rode a racehorse before?? Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Thank you so much! What time of the year was the trial? What kind of fitness was it? If running? What distance? I'm so sorry for all the questions! I'm 16 and 9 and 1/2 stone, will that have a disadvantage on me?? Might they not take me because I rode a racehorse before?? Thank you!!

Dont know about the trail but no they are not going to refuse u cause u were on a racehorse before . But there was a fella on it last yr in the final 10 who had a licence in the past but lost hus confidence through falls etc.

How much riding do you do ?
    Thefitness is overall fitness balance coordination stamina strength and of course your determination to get your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

Well to be honest with you its a much as making good tv as finding a rider for them. from what i could see they let the 10 best/most potential riders through and the 10 who would make the best television and come on from bad to good riders. aside from this the fitness started with a beep test same as would be in a secondry school PE ( Im 18 myself) also it started in mid to late august if i remember correctly. anyways after the beep test you were split ito 4 groups, and rotated untill everyone had done each segment

segment 1
    was sent to be lunged on a retired racehorse, they were big giant gents and as quiet as you could ask. sue would be lunging you and telling you what to do i.e touch your nose or sit into the trot etc the basics really.

Segment 2
    the second segment was the fitness and what i could safely say was my downfall. what they showed on the tele looks simple compared to what is was , it was circuits with skipping ropes lunges with weights push ups etc each time you did a round the time you had to do them increased this was hard for me as im not fit and weigh around the 12-13 stone mark ha!

Segment 3
    this was a great one for me davy russel took the group and had various balance stuff set up like the board and balls. for me i found these easy i dont know if it was my riding experiance that helped but i didnt fall and he even told me i had great balance.

Segment 4
    the final part for me was the racehorse simulator i know it looks easy and this was my first time on it but it is harder than it looks after your minute or so on it you'll feel the burn in your arms. but you'll want to do it again and again.

Not having racehorse experiacne wont affect your chances of getting through or your weight. it was a great experiance for me and i know if i am doing it again this year i will be working on my fitness.

as a tip from what i seen they seem to like people who encourages others and have a laugh and joke around but at the same time be determined if you show these on the day you have a good chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Thegrasshopper

Well to be honest with you its a much as making good tv as finding a rider for them. from what i could see they let the 10 best/most potential riders through and the 10 who would make the best television and come on from bad to good riders. aside from this the fitness started with a beep test same as would be in a secondry school PE ( Im 18 myself) also it started in mid to late august if i remember correctly. anyways after the beep test you were split ito 4 groups, and rotated untill everyone had done each segment

segment 1
    was sent to be lunged on a retired racehorse, they were big giant gents and as quiet as you could ask. sue would be lunging you and telling you what to do i.e touch your nose or sit into the trot etc the basics really.

Segment 2
    the second segment was the fitness and what i could safely say was my downfall. what they showed on the tele looks simple compared to what is was , it was circuits with skipping ropes lunges with weights push ups etc each time you did a round the time you had to do them increased this was hard for me as im not fit and weigh around the 12-13 stone mark ha!

Segment 3
    this was a great one for me davy russel took the group and had various balance stuff set up like the board and balls. for me i found these easy i dont know if it was my riding experiance that helped but i didnt fall and he even told me i had great balance.

Segment 4
    the final part for me was the racehorse simulator i know it looks easy and this was my first time on it but it is harder than it looks after your minute or so on it you'll feel the burn in your arms. but you'll want to do it again and again.

Not having racehorse experiacne wont affect your chances of getting through or your weight. it was a great experiance for me and i know if i am doing it again this year i will be working on my fitness.

as a tip from what i seen they seem to like people who encourages others and have a laugh and joke around but at the same time be determined if you show these on the day you have a good chance.
    Thank you so much, this had helped so much! I'll definetly be working in my fitness so! Thanks a million!

Advertisement