Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 5s with 3

• 21-02-2014 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I've recently been considering changing from my current network provider(METEOR), and switching to Three, to get the Iphone 5s.

Meteor have offered me the following deal:

Iphone 5s 16GB - 129 EURO

Ultimate Flex Max - 55 per month(24 month contract).

This deal includes all you can eat calls, texts and data.

Opinions/suggestions?

It will cost me 240 to get out of my current contract with Meteor

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi all

I've recently been considering changing from my current network provider(METEOR), and switching to Three, to get the Iphone 5s.

Meteor have offered me the following deal:

Iphone 5s 16GB - 129 EURO

Ultimate Flex Max - 55 per month(24 month contract).

This deal includes all you can eat calls, texts and data.

Opinions/suggestions?

It will cost me 240 to get out of my current contract with Meteor

Get yourself a 3Pay SIM first and try out the signal where you use it most. Have a look around the Three forum for some examples of people who have problems with the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

whiterebel wrote: »
    Get yourself a 3Pay SIM first and try out the signal where you use it most. Have a look around the Three forum for some examples of people who have problems with the network.

Are there a lot of problems with the network???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It really does depend on where you live, my old house the coverage was dreadful, new place is a hell of a lot better, but it can be a serious mixed bag and you really need to know what you are getting into before you commit to a 2 year contract.

Seeing as you will have to pay a decent amount of money to get out of your contact with meteor, would you not consider just putting that money towards a factory unlocked 5s instead and go on a sim only plan, you would save yourself a decent amount of money in the long run.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    It really does depend on where you live, my old house the coverage was dreadful, new place is a hell of a lot better, but it can be a serious mixed bag and you really need to know what you are getting into before you commit to a 2 year contract.

Seeing as you will have to pay a decent amount of money to get out of your contact with meteor, would you not consider just putting that money towards a factory unlocked 5s instead and go on a sim only plan, you would save yourself a decent amount of money in the long run.

Where would I get a factory unlocked one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Where would I get a factory unlocked one?
    Buy directly from Apple is the safest, unless you want to take a chance on a pre-loved (can be risky) from adverts, donedeal etc

http://store.apple.com/ie/buy-iphone/iphone5s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Every network has problems for some, and perfect for others. Always try a prepay sim first especially as you intend to waste so much money buying out of Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

€55 x 24
    €149 for phone
    €240 buyout

Total cost €1709 over 24 months

EMobile have a sim only plan for Eircom customers
    http://www.emobile.ie/eircom-customer-sim-only-plans/#
    Data limited to 5gb used to be 15gb as far as I know
    On a €24 per month contract rolling so you can leave anytime you want

So if you had this
    And bought the phone unlocked from apple
    Your costs over the same 24 months would be

€24x24
    Phone from apple €699
    Buyout €240

Total €1515 over same period
    Saving almost €200

Pros of unlocked phone are you can sell it easier at any time if you fancy a change

Cons bigger outlay on day 1
    Also limited to 5gb
    Which would do most people unless you have no home/work broadband
    Or if it's used for tethering

If you could afford to buy the iphone now from apple for €699 you could see out your current contract (probably what I would do)

Also sell your own phone now or when it's out of contract and unlocked

When this is out you'd be free to choose any sim only plan on any network as the all run on 30 day contract

soundsham wrote: »
    €55 x 24
    €149 for phone
    €240 buyout

Total cost €1709 over 24 months

EMobile have a sim only plan for Eircom customers
    http://www.emobile.ie/eircom-customer-sim-only-plans/#
    Data limited to 5gb used to be 15gb as far as I know
    On a €24 per month contract rolling so you can leave anytime you want

So if you had this
    And bought the phone unlocked from apple
    Your costs over the same 24 months would be

€24x24
    Phone from apple €699
    Buyout €240

Total €1515 over same period
    Saving almost €200

Pros of unlocked phone are you can sell it easier at any time if you fancy a change

Cons bigger outlay on day 1
    Also limited to 5gb
    Which would do most people unless you have no home/work broadband
    Or if it's used for tethering

If you could afford to buy the iphone now from apple for €699 you could see out your current contract (probably what I would do)

Also sell your own phone now or when it's out of contract and unlocked

When this is out you'd be free to choose any sim only plan on any network as the all run on 30 day contract

I'm not going to spend 700 on the phone lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

I'm not going to spend 700 on the phone lol

You pay for the phone whether buying it through apple or from a network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would just buy the factory unlocked version from apple if it was me and I had the cash up front, stick the meteor sim in and don't bother buying yourself it of context. After that just move to a sim only plan. It might seem like a lot of money but you will pay for the phone either way, a monthly contract just makes that more palatable. If not get yourself a three sim or ask someone you know who is on three to come over to your house and check out the service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement