Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 corrupted system file

• 21-02-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I'm having a problem with a laptop running Windows 8. It was initially going through a "Repair Loop". However, the automatic repair option from the Win 8 disc didn't work.

Now I'm getting the following error when I press F8 for advanced loading options

x4p6y8.jpg

Can I copy the system file from the CD and replace it with the corrupt one on the HDD? The System file on the laptop is about 12Gb and on the CD is about 4Gb. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is not the system folder,

it's the system registry which is unique to your machine

use a bootable cd to try and find a copy of the SYSTEM registry file in system restore in C:\system volume information somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

use a bootable cd to try and find a copy of the SYSTEM registry file in system restore in C:\system volume information somewhere

I renamed the original system registry SYSTEM.old and copied the SYSTEM registry from the CD to the corresponding directory on the D: drive where Win 8 is located (upgraded from Win 7 BTW).

Now getting following message on boot

307rpdy.jpg

Unrecovereable error according to Google.

I can boot up to the login in screen for Wn 7 but just get a black screen when I try to log in and a message a DLL is missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Traitor

This. Your system restore point data is stored in "C:\System Volume Information", including backups of your system registry hive. Find a file named system and copy it to where you need it.

Also, don't expect a "Repair disc" boot cycle to fix it on the first try. It tries different repairs on every boot and may take several reboots and repair attempts to fix your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Can't help, just to say that I had many issues with Windows 8, I installed it to fix problems and it seemed to do so for a while, however, that did not last and I had to reinstall a few times, eventually my system would no longer work saying I had an unsupported copy.

I'm back on XP on my laptop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

To update the thread:

Ended up using a laptop with an eSATA port to plug the "faulty" laptop hard drive in via eSATA cable and saved data onto an external hard drive. I did have to use an Open SUSE CD(Linux) to do so, as Windows permissions weren't allowing the copying initially.

Ended up reinstalling Windows 7 using a C: (Windows) D: (DATA) partition setup, so when Windows goes pear shaped again, at least data will be safe when Windows is reinstalled on the C: partition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Traitor

kkelly77 wrote: »
    To update the thread:

Ended up using a laptop with an eSATA port to plug the "faulty" laptop hard drive in via eSATA cable and saved data onto an external hard drive. I did have to use an Open SUSE CD(Linux) to do so, as Windows permissions weren't allowing the copying initially.

Ended up reinstalling Windows 7 using a C: (Windows) D: (DATA) partition setup, so when Windows goes pear shaped again, at least data will be safe when Windows is reinstalled on the C: partition.

Don't assume your data will be safe if you aren't making multiple copies acrossed multiple medias at multiple physical locations.

Advertisement