Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alberta Oil Sands

Options
  • 21-02-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Has anybody any info on what the oil sands are like to work in in Alberta?

Is there many entry level jobs for people with no experience and what's the money like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alberta2014

Thanks for that I was looking at them sites. If I was to head out to Edmonton or Calgary looking for work in fort mcmurray with no experience would I get work and what kind of money would I get? What money would I make with no experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Hard to tell but at the start probably ball park 20 bucks an hour
    It's a while since I looked into it and have no intention of doing that to myself so maybe someone else who works up there will be able to give you more current information

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Johnny Titor

There are lots of videos on Youtube dealing with life on the oil sands in Northern Alberta, especially Fort McMurray. Even within Canada, a lot of young, single guys migrate there to make a quick fortune and then get out. The average salary is $90,000/year. I've heard that there is such a demand for workers, even McDonalds employees get $14/hr just to offer competitive wages. Most rotations for Rigs is 21 days on, 7 off. A qualification in geology or engineering would work in your favour. Otherwise you could operate heavy machinery or drive a truck but you'll need licenses and certification for these. Not sure why you'd come all the way to Canada at all if you're looking for "entry level jobs for people with no experience".

Downsides? You're definitely going to need a car. No public transport over there. It's supposed to be a very bleak and depressing environment. Guys end up blowing their wages on drugs, booze or brazzers simply because they're so bored. Not to mention it's freezing cold for a large chunk of the year. Apparently there is a housing shortage so you're either going to end up paying sky high rent for a bed in a shared house or else sleeping in your car - more about this in the various Youtube videos.

Advertisement