Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda permission required to change phone number ?!?!

Options
  • 21-02-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

We've been getting a lot of nuisance calls on the landline recently, marketing calls and foreigners pretending to be concerned about some virus or other that I've supposedly got on my computer. Today I called the phone company (UPC) and asked if I could have our number changed. They said that was totally possible but first I had to get permission from gardai. They had to sign and stamp a form and fax it to UPC, then the number could be changed. Has anyone ever heard of this before ? It's a new one on me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

We've been getting a lot of nuisance calls on the landline recently, marketing calls and foreigners pretending to be concerned about some virus or other that I've supposedly got on my computer. Today I called the phone company (UPC) and asked if I could have our number changed. They said that was totally possible but first I had to get permission from gardai. They had to sign and stamp a form and fax it to UPC, then the number could be changed. Has anyone ever heard of this before ? It's a new one on me.

Thats mad!! I can't even think of why the gardai would need to give consent. Identification purposes perhaps??

Apart from that are you sure you want to change?? How will you know when you have a virus on your computer or millions of dollars waiting to be lodged to your bank account :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I think things got a bit mixed up there. Since you want to change your number because of suspected criminal activity directed against it your provider is probably assuming you involved the Gardai. If you would have done that there could be a chance Gardai wanted to keep the number live for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Best thing I have read all night. They are just crazy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

No charge if its due to nuisance calls - but you have to declare that via a garda form.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,069 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realistically, you'll get all those calls with a different number too. I get them here the odd time on a landline number that's never been given to anyone as I don't even know what it is. Not hard to robo-dial the entire 01 phone code if you have cheap enough telephony and staff - which they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sandin wrote: »
    No charge if its due to nuisance calls - but you have to declare that via a garda form.

Similar system operates in the UK if memory serves me right. To change your number there is a charge from BT, if you are with another service provider, BT charges your service provider who pass the charge on to you. If you are changing your number due to malicious calls, you require a police report so that the charge is waved.

Although dont think marketing calls would come under this, you would have to request that the company calling you removes you their database. The UK have a system in place called the telephone preference service, on registering with them your number should be removed from all registered companies databases. Could be worthwhile for the OP to ask his service provider if they or eircom have something similar.

Cant help you with the foreigners calling you to fix your computer or telling you, you have won the Nigerian lotto, other than tell them not to call you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

same with eircom, free if you have a garda report thing, pay otherwise.

you have to make a complaint to *Eircom's Malicious Calls Bureau (1800 689 689) and follow it up with a garda report.

Not sure about UPC, comreg might have something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nuisance calls and marketing calls are not malicious calls. That's a completely different world altogether.
    Getting a new number will not stop those calls. We all get them. You just hang up.

Advertisement