Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extracurricular activities for 5 year old, what's out there?

Options
  • 21-02-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 5 year old son who just started school there last September. Although I am living in Carlow now a few years, I'm not originally from here. I feel like he's ready to get involved in something outside the house, maybe a sport, but open to everything. I don't do any sport myself so I'm not familiar with any teams that might cater for his age group. Can anybody shed some light on what Carlow has to offer? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Any of the gaa clubs will cater for him. There is also swimming in the ppol in graigue, stage school that my fella goes to is in askea school there and rugby in tullow as carlow wont let him join till he is older. There is also the athletics, gymnastics, martial arts etc etc

Maybe talk to him and see what takes his fancy. He might not like sports or might prefare individual versus team. Other option is to talk to his friends parents and see what their kids do as he might like to do the same

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Don't forget things like Beavers. Setanta GAA are a very vibrant and welcoming club, I'd certainly consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭emalou

I would love him to join beavers, I enquired and they dont start however until they are 7 and it also seems like there is a shortage of places with people with names on waiting lists etc.

Where is Setanta gaa located?

Martial arts might be something he would enjoy, is that down in Askea?

Im keeping my eye out for summer camps in town this year, it might be a way to test a couple of things out first.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Advertisement