Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 on a windows 8 laptop

• 22-02-2014 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I am not a fan of windows 8,
    It crossed my mind to put windows 7 on my laptop,
    but I have seen mixed opinions about doing this,
    I have seen people saying that their laptops seem to be locked to stop you going backwards as such, in so that they only work with windows 8.
    Anyone tried this ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First you need a windows 7 license.

pre-installed windows 8 doesn't allow downgrade unless you paid extra for a version that does

as for it not working, that depends on whether the manufacturer released drivers , check their web site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Not a fan of it either. Fecking hate it. Seems like change for change sake, but best move on and get used to it imo. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

Would it be possible/not overly complicated to put a partition on there to have both win 7 and 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I got one of those comp. repair guys to do mine, €40 problem solved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

aujopimur wrote: »
    I got one of those comp. repair guys to do mine, €40 problem solved.

A Windows license costs at least double that. It may work fine now but if Microsoft detect the copy is counterfeit then it's another matter.
    If the start screen in Windows 8/8.1 causes confusion, you can use this to bring back the start menu. I really cannot understand the Windows 8 hysteria. Its more secure, has cool new features like file transfer dialogs combine if multiple operations, better task manager etc. It also boots quicker than 7 as well..

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,677 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

yoyo wrote: »
    I really cannot understand the Windows 8 hysteria. Its more secure, has cool new features like file transfer dialogs combine if multiple operations, better task manager etc. It also boots quicker than 7 as well..

+1

And it uses a smaller footprint on the hard disk and uses less RAM

I have Windows 8.1 Professional running on a 8 year old laptop with just 1.5GB of RAM, running great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just install Classic Shell in Windows 8. It basically turns it into a better version of Windows 7.

http://www.classicshell.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Classic Shell is your solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Let me know Classic Shell is secure? Another thing, is it certified by any reputed governing body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

janeparker wrote: »
    Let me know Classic Shell is secure? Another thing, is it certified by any reputed governing body?

No, not even windows is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Could you not just format the hard drive and install the copy of windows 7 onto it?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

janeparker wrote: »

You can download the file (on a virtual machine if you are really, really worried) and upload it to virustotal.com. This website uses 48 or so virus scanners from the likes of Bitdefender, Kasperskys and Avast to analyse the file and will tell you if anything is wrong with it.

It is a legitimate file as I tested it on Windows 8 the other day and there was no problem, many people use it on their machines and there is nothing to worry about.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Could you not just format the hard drive and install the copy of windows 7 onto it?

Of course you could, but you'd also need a Windows 7 license first. The question you have to ask is it really worth spending over €100 to downgrade to 7? Probably not, as 8 can be made look like 7 with Classic Shell

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I'd say stick with windows 8 (or 8.1 if you have done the free upgrade in the windows store). There are great apps in the store - which I think is the real selling point of the OS. DO your system recovery discs because if that hard drive fails you're in trouble. There's an update planed in a couple of months to give you the option of launching directly into the desktop interface if you don't like the tiled start screen. OEMs must stop selling windows 7 by October.

Advertisement