Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic warden ticket

Options
  • 22-02-2014 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

At the start of this month I recieved a fine for not displaying a valid tax disc, silly I know but I completely forgot to renew it, but it was promptly rectified that day! It has been over two weeks since I got the fine and I am yet to get a letter, and the ticket number is not recognised by the online payments, so I haven't been able to pay it yet.

Do they still send out letters and does it normally take so long to register in there system? Anychance I might be really lucky and it might have gotten lost in the system, I don't want to ring and ask just incase... cheeky I know!

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

cb123 wrote: »
    It has been over two weeks since I got the fine and I am yet to get a letter, and the ticket number is not recognised by the online payments, so I haven't been able to pay it yet.

Do they still send out letters and does it normally take so long to register in there system? Anychance I might be really lucky and it might have gotten lost in the system, I don't want to ring and ask just incase... cheeky I know!

What would you do?

Lucky? I doubt it, that crowd are very money hungry nowadays, rest assured your ticket is there somewhere..

If it were me I'd wait for the reminder, they do have to send you one just in case the ticket blew off etc. Usually the reminder will allow you to pay at the issued fine rate, when you get the letter go and pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

If you taxed the vehicle the same day that you received the ticket then it was taxed on that day, if you go into the traffic fines office at their offices on the Mall (upstairs at the Waterford Crystal showrooms) and talk to them you may be able to appeal it. Don't wait too long as you only have 21 or 28 days from the date of issue

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭billywilly

At the start of this month I recieved a fine for not displaying a valid tax disc, silly I know but I completely forgot to renew it, but it was promptly rectified that day! It has been over two weeks since I got the fine and I am yet to get a letter, and the ticket number is not recognised by the online payments, so I haven't been able to pay it yet.

What would you do?

Reason your ticket number is not recognised yet is because the traffic warden didn't feed his handheld into the main computer back at base yet, they normally wait 3 or 4 weeks when they have a build up and then feed it all in together.... My mate use to be a traffic warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Do your civic duty and pay this immediately :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

old gregg wrote: »

His point is he can't pay it because the ticket number is not recognised on the system yet. Op, what may have happened here is that when it went through the system to get your name and address, your car showed up as being taxed the same day, so they may just have left it at that. My advice would be to just wait and see what happens. One thing I would do though is take screenshots of your attempts to pay the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can traffic wardens legally issue fines for no tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

ted1 wrote: »

Curious question this. I always though they could. Yet a few months ago my car was parked outside the front of Garter Lane while I was loading amps and stuff. Tax had been up for 3 months. The warden issued me with a parking ticket but nothing for non-display of a valid tax disk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You used to be able to call the office to pay tickets, so I suspect the OP can do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

billywilly wrote: »
    Reason your ticket number is not recognised yet is because the traffic warden didn't feed his handheld into the main computer back at base yet, they normally wait 3 or 4 weeks when they have a build up and then feed it all in together.... My mate use to be a traffic warden.

That seems a tad silly, sure you only get 28 days to pay, so where's the time to send the reminder and to make sure people can pay online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

old gregg wrote: »

I know I'm very bold, but honestly, I have tried to pay a few times online now. The offices close at 4 so I miss them in the evenings.
    Duiske wrote: »
    His point is he can't pay it because the ticket number is not recognised on the system yet. Op, what may have happened here is that when it went through the system to get your name and address, your car showed up as being taxed the same day, so they may just have left it at that. My advice would be to just wait and see what happens. One thing I would do though is take screenshots of your attempts to pay the fine.

I have been taking screenshots :) It's weird actually it says the database is current from the 19th and I got the fine on the 4th, I think, so surely it should be in the system by now! I do hope you're right about the ticket being void cause I taxed the car straight away, that would make my day, but I'm not holding out too much hope!
    Sully wrote: »
    You used to be able to call the office to pay tickets, so I suspect the OP can do that?

I'm sure I could, but I wanna use the online system *throws tantrum*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes.

You sat that as if you know for certain, I couldn't see anything under the 1975 act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1975/en/act/pub/0014/

Can you reference the act that empowers them

I see they get power to enforce the 1961 act, but road tax comes under the finance act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I find it quite funny that this response is questioning the legality of a traffic warden issuing a fine to someone who is breaking the law!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You sat that as if you know for certain, I couldn't see anything under the 1975 act.

I see they get power to enforce the 1961 act, but road tax comes under the finance act.

Motor vehicles are covered under the Road Traffic Acts 1961-2011 and the principal legislation governing this area is the Local Authorities (Traffic Wardens) Act, 1975 as amended.

Also; http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1976/en/act/pub/0016/sec0073.html

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Actually the system updates daily now. There was no time with the electronic system that tickets took longer than a day to upload. In the old manual ticket days it took a few days alright. It sounds like there is an error with the ticket, the wrong reg against car type can happen. I suggest you ring traffic fines and give your car reg. If they can't find it your off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Maybe Councils operate differently but in Dungarvan, if you tax the car. even after the day of the offense, they will waive the ticket.
    If you go and pay the fine, they will take your money of course !

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭billywilly

That seems a tad silly, sure you only get 28 days to pay, so where's the time to send the reminder and to make sure people can pay online?

yea but thats what they do.

Advertisement