Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Considering '08 Renault Laguna'

Options
  • 22-02-2014 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello,

I have two questions for yeah guys; I'd like to hear what value you think my current car would sell for. I'd also like to heard what you think of the 08 Renault Laguna. It's a 1.5 diesel with good mileage.

I own a 02 Polo (69,000 Miles) and recently spent 850 euro on it so it would pass NCT;
    • New tyres
    • Service
    • replaced one rear door locking mechanism
    • 12 months Motortax.

The car has now passed the NCT.

How much do you think I'd get for it if I was to trade it in towards a new car at a garage?

And finally, what do you guys think of the 08 Renault Laguna? What's a good price etc.

I really appreciate your feedback as I don't really know anything about cars or the car marketplace.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

My parents were going to buy a 08 Laguna a few years ago and I think they are a lovely car. I always liked that newer model. I wouldn't know much about there reliability. One issue I know they have is the prestige model with the electronic hand brake can give trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 davidlpower

Bpmull wrote: »
    My parents were going to buy a 08 Laguna a few years ago and I think they are a lovely car. I always liked that newer model. I wouldn't know much about there reliability. One issue I know they have is the prestige model with the electronic hand brake can give trouble.

Thanks for the feedback Bpmull. Much appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I'd also like to heard what you think of the 08 Renault Laguna. It's a 1.5 diesel.

I wouldn't be getting a heavy car like that again with a small engine. Any chance you could get the 2.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My dad has an 09 Laguna which is the very same. He puts up a fair few miles and in the 3 years he has it there have been no problems. It would benefit from a bigger engine because it does need to be worked hard on acceleration but other than that no complaints.
    I remember at the time being put off by the poor reputation of the earlier Lagunas but Renault have done well on this one.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    My dad has an 09 Laguna which is the very same. He puts up a fair few miles and in the 3 years he has it there have been no problems. It would benefit from a bigger engine because it does need to be worked hard on acceleration but other than that no complaints.
    I remember at the time being put off by the poor reputation of the earlier Lagunas but Renault have done well on this one.

Thanks ryanf1. Interesting point about the acceleration. The car I'm looking at is 1.5TDCi.

• Advertisement

Jesus. wrote: »
    I wouldn't be getting a heavy car like that again with a small engine. Any chance you could get the 2.0?

Hi Jesus.

Would 1.5TDCi be ok for the size of the car?

I do own a 1.2 Polo so anything would be better than that power wise.

I think the 1.5 dci is adequate but far from a performance engine. It produces 110bhp which is exactly double what you have in the Polo so I think you will be ok with it.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I think the 1.5 dci is adequate but far from a performance engine. It produces 110bhp which is exactly double what you have in the Polo so I think you will be ok with it.

Hi ryanf1,

Adequate is good enough for me :D

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are doing a lot of motorway type driving then the 2.0 dci will definitely be superior and probably return better fuel economy than the 1.5 dci. 1.5 dci is adequate though.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you are doing a lot of motorway type driving then the 2.0 dci will definitely be superior and probably return better fuel economy than the 1.5 dci. 1.5 dci is adequate though.

More country road driving.

In my Polo I simply can't overtake safely. I'm hoping the Laguna will be strong enough to let me overtake.

• Advertisement

More country road driving. In my Polo I simply can't overtake safely. I'm hoping the Laguna will be strong enough to let me overtake.

You won't be doing much overtaking in a 1.5 Laguna Dave. Although you're going up in power, they're far heavier than a Polo. They're 1.6 tonnes if memory serves me.

It'll get you from A to B no bother a'tall though.

Here's a 0-60 video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3L6D1E1a8w

Jesus. wrote: »
    You won't be doing much overtaking in a 1.5 Laguna Dave. Although you're going up in power, they're far heavier than a Polo. They're 1.6 tonnes if memory serves me.

It'll get you from A to B no bother a'tall though.

There not that bad still 110bhp and there fairly torquey the few that I was in felt grand to drive. They won't set the works on fire but will feel like a bullet compared to a 1.2 polo. Obviously the 2.0 would be nicer but the 1.5 dci is adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

A friend of mine has one in Poland with this engine. Bought new in 2008, no major problems - he was surprised himself.
    These Lagunas are supposedly 30 times more reliable than the Gen2.
    Read in some magazine that 1 in 4 Laguna IIs had a serious defect within 6 months of ownership and this one is something like 1 in 90 or something like that.

Jesus. , Bpmull , Sobanek

Thank you for your responses.

@Jesus. that looked very fast to me. Have you ever driven an 02 Polo? I have to drive in the hard shoulder going up small hills just so I don't get in the way of other people.

@Bpmull would the 2.0 version of the car eat more diesel?

@Sobanek Are Gen2 Lagunas pre 2008?

Jesus. , Bpmull , Sobanek

Thank you for your responses.

@Jesus. that looked very fast to me. Have you ever driven an 02 Polo? I have to drive in the hard shoulder going up small hills just so I don't get in the way of other people.

@Bpmull would the 2.0 version of the car eat more diesel?

They wouldn't be that much harder on diesel it's just finding one as most were 1.5dci. Tbh I really don't think power will be an issue you will probably find it quick and the 6 speed gearbox really helps. How fast or slow a car is such a relative term as it's completely based on what you used to driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

2001-2007, yup.

Yes the Gen2 was pre 2008 and should be avoided like the plague.

Bpmull , Sobanek, ryanf1

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

For what it's worth, I've a Laguna II post-facelift, pretty happy with it. Not sure how similar Laguna III is, but what I like is the space inside (boot and back seats as well as front), safety is reassuring, quiet engine (petrol model), I like the look, curve over the roof/boot. I'd be seriously tempted to go same again when we upgrade, just a couple yrs newer, full electrics & leather.

Laguna III looks to have carried over a fair bit just in size/shape/appearance. If it's more reliable, then I'd say go for it!

Agree about the engine size, you can feel the weight of the car. Skeptical about 1.5 diesels. With a 1.6 petrol, I find it really only means leaving in lower gear a little longer.

Zoney wrote: »
    Agree about the engine size, you can feel the weight of the car. Skeptical about 1.5 diesels. With a 1.6 petrol, I find it really only means leaving in lower gear a little longer.

That's true mate but that's where sometimes the false economy regarding fuel economy comes into play. When you have to work a small engine harder, ofttimes you end up burning as much fuel as a larger engine would just ticking over.

Its a quare heavy yoke of a thing that Laguna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

Do not under any circumstances go with the basic model . Get at least the dynamique and try get a Prestiege if you can there are a good few about . They have nicer alloys and much better interior. Also 2.0 diesel Is a great engine and if you can get an automatic that's even better:) and just to top it off if you can the sport tourer all the better . The estate version is a still a fine looking car

Advertisement