Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor tax

• 22-02-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Ok so here's my dilemma,my bike has not been taxed with about 7mts it simply hasn't been on the road so I didn't bother taxing it (had great intentions)but neither did I bother declaring it off the road(new law thing) so my question is how do I get out of this suitation,would I be able to sign (change of ownership) over to my husband tax it as normal no arrears and after a time sign it back into my name as if I'd bought the bike all over again ?? Any other way out of it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I have a bike that I declared off the road. I done it around the deadline and tried to declare for the year but was only allowed to do it till DEC 2013. I've got a letter stating its not taxed and a final warning. I went to the tax office and explained. They said I can declared it off the road now till the end of the year but I must pay Jan-Feb's tax.

No budging on the issue at all. The bike has not been taxed in about 6 years and has not been on the road nor do I ever plan on putting it on the road.

So if thats anything to go by......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

uisce33 wrote: »
    Ok so here's my dilemma,my bike has not been taxed with about 7mts it simply hasn't been on the road so I didn't bother taxing it (had great intentions)but neither did I bother declaring it off the road(new law thing) so my question is how do I get out of this suitation,would I be able to sign (change of ownership) over to my husband tax it as normal no arrears and after a time sign it back into my name as if I'd bought the bike all over again ?? Any other way out of it ?

Yes. but I have not resorted to this method myself. I don't know if selling to your partner might raise some eyebrows.
    An employee of my local motor tax office (unofficially) mentioned the same process when I spoke to them recently. He\she speculated that it is a loophole that might be closed sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭uisce33

Ok so for argument sake,assume I buy a bike that's been off the road not taxed and not declared off the road for a long time surely I'm not going to be made pay back tax for an untaxed bike that some stranger owned,or I have I picked this whole thing up wrong.confused

I have a bike that I declared off the road. I done it around the deadline and tried to declare for the year but was only allowed to do it till DEC 2013. I've got a letter stating its not taxed and a final warning. I went to the tax office and explained. They said I can declared it off the road now till the end of the year but I must pay Jan-Feb's tax.

No budging on the issue at all. The bike has not been taxed in about 6 years and has not been on the road nor do I ever plan on putting it on the road.

Sorry to divert off-topic.
    Are you saying that you were allowed to tax a motorcycle for 2 months arrears? Motorcycle tax duration is for a year only normally.

I declared my moto SORD which has now expired ( they don't send reminders ) and I'd like to renew the SORD.
    I'm willing to pay the two months "arrears" but don't want to tax the moto for a year.

uisce33 wrote: »
    Ok so for argument sake,assume I buy a bike that's been off the road not taxed and not declared off the road for a long time surely I'm not going to be made pay back tax for an untaxed bike that some stranger owned,or I have I picked this whole thing up wrong.confused

Correct. A buyer is not liable for the motor tax arrears of a previous owner. The new owner is only liable from the date of purchase - well, the first of the month in which the vehicle was purchased .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

why only till dec 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sorry to divert off-topic.
    Are you saying that you were allowed to tax a motorcycle for 2 months arrears? Motorcycle tax duration is for a year only normally.

I declared my moto SORD which has now expired ( they don't send reminders ) and I'd like to renew the SORD.
    I'm willing to pay the two months "arrears" but don't want to tax the moto for a year.

They don't send reminders, wtf, that's going to cause some grief.

Yep, she stated that cause I never declared it off the road for jan-feb I would have to pay (Yep, as you said normally you can only pay for the full year) and then declare it off the road for the remainder of the year. I wanted last year to declared it for the year but could only do it till the end of 2013 and again I can only do it till the end of this year, not to say Feb 2015.

Its only an old bike so I never pushed the logic behind it and left the tax office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Its a lot of hassle to go through. Sure bike tax is dirt cheap.

jvan wrote: »

I've just read another thread in Motors where a car owner has received a SORD expiry reminder. The DOT website FAQs also say that a reminder will be issued.

• Advertisement

I got no remainder, just a final warning letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jvan wrote: »

they do actually.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Interesting thread...

Sorry to butt in but curious here.
    GFs bike sat in garage last year and half .. tax out since last year sometime..not declared off road...not insured

Selling it now...will there be a 'tax issue'?

Zipppy wrote: »
    Interesting thread...

Sorry to butt in but curious here.
    GFs bike sat in garage last year and half .. tax out since last year sometime..not declared off road...not insured

Selling it now...will there be a 'tax issue'?

No issue if you're selling it. There is no liability for back tax to the new owner.

Sell it as normal, new owner just taxes it when they get the new VLC in their name.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    No issue if you're selling it. There is no liability for back tax to the new owner.

Sell it as normal, new owner just taxes it when they get the new VLC in their name.

Cheers

Will the tax office not come screaming for the back tax from us?

Zipppy wrote: »
    Cheers

Will the tax office not come screaming for the back tax from us?

nope.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    nope.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Im in a similar boat. Used to ride a Gz125, but stopped around december and tax ran out that month. Havnt bothered to declare it off the road but I did get a warning from the tax office earlier this month.

I dont plan on driving it for the forseeable future as Ive got a new bike now. Can they come looking for me or ? o_O ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Im in a similar boat. Used to ride a Gz125, but stopped around december and tax ran out that month. Havnt bothered to declare it off the road but I did get a warning from the tax office earlier this month.

I dont plan on driving it for the forseeable future as Ive got a new bike now. Can they come looking for me or ? o_O ?

To put it back on the road you'll have to pay all the back tax or you could "sell" it to someone and "buy" it back after a while to avoid the back tax.

No one will come looking for you, yet!

Advertisement