Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kipor Generators - any recent experience? (& what I saw at UK show yesterday)

Options
  • 22-02-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I searched some threads on here and some good some bad.

At the show in Birmingham yesterday the Kipors were stocked by a few sellers, and had their own stand. So I'm inclined to think the quality cant be that bad if reputable sellers are stocking them.

Other things I learned (bear in mind I'm only a semi-anorak caravanner, so this may all be old hat :D),

-a good bit of exposure for Alde, a heating system for top end caravans/motorhomes http://www.alde.co.uk/),
    -saw Airbeam tents - you pump up "bars" instead of assembling poles, quick & convenient, though with poor experiences of air matresses fado fado I'm wary of inflatables (& for the avoidance of any confusion that is the full extent of my experience with inflatable objects....;))
    - learned a bit about inverters (ok, should have know more about them already)
    - looked at a good few VW van conversions, cool, expensive!
    -loads of info on UK campsites (holiday park type places for summer hols with kids)

I wasnt in the market for a new caravan so wasnt obsessing over those, but my advice to anyone serious about buying a unit (caravan/motorhome/van conversion) either there or in the foreseeable future, is to do plenty of research before you go. The Practical Caravan magazine has a great section at the back with caravan layouts and which brands have which. If you didnt have an idea of say 10 (tops) to choose between I think you'd go cracked, too much choice.

If you're not in the market its just fun to tip about the place looking at the odd unit to get ideas or to confirm or challenge previous opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I presume you mean Aldi in your link?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭banie01

odds_on wrote: »
    I presume you mean Aldi in your link?

Nope she means Alde, a well known mobile boiler and heating supply company, very popular in harsh climates and pricey too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Ahhhh, thanks.

The link needs to omit the closing bracket at the end, otherwise you get a 404 error. Should be:
    http://www.alde.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

odds_on wrote: »
    Ahhhh, thanks.

The link needs to omit the closing bracket at the end, otherwise you get a 404 error. Should be:
    http://www.alde.co.uk/

The small kippor generators have the inverter entirely potted in epoxy they are irreparable when they fail you need a whole new inverter which costs most of the price of a new one. Most of the stuff sold at caravan shows is rarely and lightly used so failure within the warranty period is unlikely. Same principle as aldi lidl a lot of the tools are only designed to do a few hours work but the year can still offer a 3 year warranty as the majority will never be used that much.

Most little generators have the electronics coated in resin.
    I just don't buy things you can't fix anymore. It's like voting for user serviceability.

Except of course they're turbines not generators...they don't make petrol tomatosplat.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭vinniem

Do not buy kipor they are pure dirt. Bought one used it twice and it's dead. Invertor board is gone and as said below non serviceable as all board components covered in mastic. Also the UK service is rubbish. Cheap imitation Chinese crap, buy a Honda eventhough a few times the price wud be worth saving for!!

Advertisement