Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kissing Gate damage

Options
  • 22-02-2014 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Sad to see this old kissing gate pulled out and a new barbed wire fence erected at Farrankelly, along the old mass path, which AFAIK is a right of way. I have contacted councillors and WCC but little response so far. This is just across from the Morrissey depot site that was up for sale, and approaching the roundabout near N11. There is a brown walking signpost pointing in to the pathway.
    yg3j.jpg

6q5v.jpg

Here's how it should be, one of the other gates further down towards Kilcoole, where the landowner shows a bit more respect.
    xydz.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Are you saying the path is now blocked by the barbed wire fence? I'm seeing a new field gate in the background..
    It's a crying shame the old gate was not lifted more carefully, but it's certainly not beyond rescue as it is.. Guess it'll just be dumped..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

The field gate was there before, alongside the pedestrian gate. It was carefully removed and then re-instated back into the new section of fence.
    Field gates are lockable, and if unlocked they can be left open. The old style kissing gates can't be left open, and they can't be padlocked either. They are the ideal pedestrian gate to have at the boundary between two properties along a right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Misty May

From looking at the photograph there seems to have been no need to take the kissing gate away at all as there appears to be plenty of room to have the field gate there and the kissing gate. The landowner should do the decent thing and reinstate either that kissing gate, getting it repaired, or install a new one. Preferably the old one should be repaired as it is an antique and part of the heritage of the country. I'm sure he would be most upset if the field gate was left open by walkers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Normally you are not allowed to interfere with your legal boundary unless you get agreement from your neighbour, so maybe there were two landowners involved. I think these kissing gates were probably installed by Rathdown District Council, which was the local authority back in the day. They installed a lot of public infrastructure, including the original water treatment plants at Greystones and Delgany. Damaging public infrastructure is an act of vandalism.

I hope the Wicklow and/or Greystones Town Councillors will insist that the gate gets fixed, and that they are not too busy making arrangements for various St. Patrick's Day junkets.

Advertisement