Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Trip USA anyone?

Options
  • 22-02-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hello!

I set up this boards account to start a thread. Basically I'd like to organise a USA roadtrip. I really want to do this with a small group but unfortunately all my friends are tied down in different ways. Although this sounds a bit cazy I was thinking that maybe I could look for people in Ireland who might be interested in planning this with me. So i thought i may as well leave my idea here in case there are people out there reading similar threads wishing they could do the same thing but have no one to do it with.

I haven't decided on a route yet, its something you'd have to decide with a group. The Canadian to Mexican border looks good. Then there's the Great River road along the Mississippi river from MN to New Orleans and on the other hand the landscape across Oregon, Idaho, and Wyoming and the diversity of the route from Oregon to New Hampshire sounds unreal...there are so many options!

A few years ago i drove from south to north Iceland with my friends - listening to Icelandic radio and stopping in little towns and shops in the middle of no where, it was class. I really want to do something like that again.

I'd like to go with people of a similar age. I'm 31 (I'm a girl but gender isn't relevant for me personally!)
    I'm really easy going, i'm not interested in tourist traps but will happily go along with someone to see something they have always wanted to see even though i have no interest in it. Anyway if there is anyone out there who wants to do this let me know. We'd need some drivers but if you not a driver and you really wanna go it might be possible if we can get at least 2/3 drivers including myself. Grand with in car smoking or non smoking people too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Great idea. I'll pour you beers when you get to Albuquerque. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 me.me

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Its a great idea.

yeah, hopefully ill be able to find people on for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

One of the issues with road trips in the USA is the sometimes large charge extra charge for hiring a car in one state and dropping it off in another.

Unless you do a loop, and finish up where you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

InTheTrees wrote: »
    One of the issues with road trips in the USA is the sometimes large charge extra charge for hiring a car in one state and dropping it off in another.

Unless you do a loop, and finish up where you started.

Or just buy a good old (mechanically sound) car/jeep/camper van on arrival and flog it at the end of the trip. The difference between what your pay for it and what you sell it for would probably be a lot less than a rental for the sane period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

BenThere wrote: »
    Or just buy a good old (mechanically sound) car/jeep/camper van on arrival and flog it at the end of the trip. The difference between what your pay for it and what you sell it for would probably be a lot less than a rental for the sane period.

I don't know how many states will allow you to register a car without being a state resident. You'd probably need a US licence and then you'd have to get insurance. Then on top of all that you have to worry about it breaking down or something. Probably wouldn't be as comfortable as a new car either for a long distance.

spideog7 wrote: »
    I don't know how many states will allow you to register a car without being a state resident. You'd probably need a US licence and then you'd have to get insurance. Then on top of all that you have to worry about it breaking down or something. Probably wouldn't be as comfortable as a new car either for a long distance.

Ah sure between the 4 of us (hopefully i can get 4 people on board) the rental and gas won't come to too a huge amount. It's a whole lot easier to rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

This sounds intriguing... When roughly were you thinking OP? And for roughly how long?

This sounds intriguing... When roughly were you thinking OP? And for roughly how long?

My job ends in June. I'd go any time after that but it depends on others in the group and when they can take the time to do it... I was thinking maybe 3 weeks to a month but again the duration would have to suit others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Well, if you make it to Seattle, I might let you bum on my floor. MIGHT.

I'll need a background check and fingerprint test, first.

• Advertisement

Well, if you make it to Seattle, I might let you bum on my floor. MIGHT.

I'll need a background check and fingerprint test, first.

bhaha!!! cooool! thanks killer wench

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

BenThere wrote: »

Or do a relocation. These go fast but cost just $1 a day and include $500 of fuel.
    http://www.apollorv.com/reloc.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

MadsL wrote: »
    Or do a relocation. These go fast but cost just $1 a day and include $500 of fuel.
    http://www.apollorv.com/reloc.aspx

Very good link MadsL.

OP, we are at the Vermont/NH/MA border. PM if you're passing through. 2 spare bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

might give ye some ideas

http://www.roadtripusa.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shermi

hi, have you done your road trip yet? i am looking forward for people to do this in july/august this year

Advertisement