Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hpat

Options
  • 22-02-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

I have read loads of advice from prep companies but nothing can beat advice from people who have been successful .

Next Saturday I will sit the hpat . Is there strategies which you found vital . Section 3 and 2 are my strong points . I just find section 1 challenging with the time constraints . I would appreciate any tips which you found helpful .

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

I'm always sceptical as to the odd tips and such people spout. I had very little idea of what the HPAT was when I sat it. I'd done one practice paper but attended no courses, read no books, never spoke to anyone about it before doing it. I did all the questions in order just like you're supposed to. Scored 96th percentile.

That's probably no help to you, just wanted to get that cynicism off my chest. Good luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Yeah, my humble advice would be not to get too worried about "strategies" - you clearly know the layout and timing of the paper, so you're about as prepared as you'll ever be. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

Hi,
    I'm thinking of sitting the hPat next year (2015). I will only be a fifth year but my question is can I carry the result over to when I sit my State Exams in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Hi,
    I'm thinking of sitting the hPat next year (2015). I will only be a fifth year but my question is can I carry the result over to when I sit my State Exams in 2016?
    No, you cannot sit the hpat in 5th year anyway and as of this year hpat scores are only valid for entry to irish medicine programmes the same year as the exam is sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MedHead1995

Hi guys! I sat the last HPAT and I only attended a one day course which was run by a couple of college students.
    I scored in the 60th percentile in the 2015 HPAT (159 overall). My friends have highly endorsed ******** so I've bought their platinum package. I score very well in their drills but I'm suffering in the practice tests... I've taken 3 so far over the last 3 weekends and I've scored between the 30th and the 41st percentile. For anyone who has done these ******** courses and their practice exams, can you tell me whether you found them harder than the actual HPAT or did the difficulty of the HPAT surpass them in your opinions? Also, if anyone else was getting these low percentiles like me in the ******** practice exams, did you guys see a big leap in your actual HPAT percentiles? Early days yet but I'd just like to hear your stories! Thanks for any feedback :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Hi guys! I sat the last HPAT and I only attended a one day course which was run by a couple of college students.
    I scored in the 60th percentile in the 2015 HPAT (159 overall). My friends have highly endorsed ******** so I've bought their platinum package. I score very well in their drills but I'm suffering in the practice tests... I've taken 3 so far over the last 3 weekends and I've scored between the 30th and the 41st percentile. For anyone who has done these ******** courses and their practice exams, can you tell me whether you found them harder than the actual HPAT or did the difficulty of the HPAT surpass them in your opinions? Also, if anyone else was getting these low percentiles like me in the ******** practice exams, did you guys see a big leap in your actual HPAT percentiles? Early days yet but I'd just like to hear your stories! Thanks for any feedback :D

Before you do another exam, go through the first 3 you did with fine detail and look at the questions you got wrong, every single one of them. Why did you get it wrong, how can I do it correctly and how can I prevent making this mistake again are questions you should be asking yourself and you should be journalising all of your mistakes in a HPAT-style diary. This is the only way you will really make big improvements imo and it most definitely works.

Also, for the first few exams, do NOT obey by the time limits. These first few exams are for self-learning and for how to prevent stupid mistakes. They are not for seeing how fast you can race through 110 q's.

The exams I would say are on par with the real thing on terms of difficulty in S1 and 3.

Good luck with the repeating. It is incredibly tough but always the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MedHead1995

Hey guys. For those of you using M.E; when doing the practice tests, what do you all roughly get out of 44 in section 1 WHEN STICKING TO THE ALLOTTED TIME? I know it varies with difficulty and so on but I'd like to just get a rough idea... I'm pretty okay at it. 27/28/29 out of 44... The percentiles for that vary between 50-85 and so on... Are these scores okay or should I be aiming for thirties more often?? I know a lot of people don't stick to the time like me so maybe it's not a fair reflection. Preferably people who have completed the actual HPAT please give me some feedback as they know their scores in each section... Private msg me if you want guys. Thanks a lot!

Advertisement