Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E global central

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Bacchus wrote: »
    Shipped last night :)

Excellent.
    Let the excitement begin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I just placed an order with eGlobal... Camera and additional lens. Paid the extra for insurance (sucker) but I'm forwarding it on to the Middle East, so the extra piece of mind is worth stg16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

ED E wrote: »
    Post to Ireland = "£15.00 Expedited Delivery (Express Int'l Postage)"

He's gaming search results, thats all. Its not here.

I contacted them and asked where they ship from. They said they have a warehouse in Ireland. I don't know if I could trust that though, obviously!

For those who have ordered from e-infinity : does your invoice include VAT?

I doubt if it does, at those prices. But then it begs the question: how they get away with selling from UK without applying VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Ordered a lens from eGlobal on 24 of January and parcel arrived this morning. Got a text at 10.30 and had parcel in my hand at 11.15.

That is second time I have ordered from them and excellent each time with a 1 week wait and decent saving on each occasion.

I would be a bit old fashioned and would prefer to go into a shop and buy but the prices are prohibitive if you are tight for cash. Not sure if I would buy a camera this way. The lens is an addition to my kit. Could survive without it but IF anything went wrong with the camera I would be banjaxed.

• Advertisement

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    For those who have ordered from e-infinity : does your invoice include VAT?

I doubt if it does, at those prices. But then it begs the question: how they get away with selling from UK without applying VAT?

No
    it just shows price.
    But what makes you think VAT is not included in this price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

LeoB wrote: »
    Ordered a lens from eGlobal on 24 of January and parcel arrived this morning. Got a text at 10.30 and had parcel in my hand at 11.15.

That is second time I have ordered from them and excellent each time with a 1 week wait and decent saving on each occasion.

I would be a bit old fashioned and would prefer to go into a shop and buy but the prices are prohibitive if you are tight for cash. Not sure if I would buy a camera this way. The lens is an addition to my kit. Could survive without it but IF anything went wrong with the camera I would be banjaxed.

I've traditionally been the same. For the most part I buy in local shops (I've bought two lens online... actually three now including this latest purchase), but the saving here was too much to justify going that route. I'm a Fuji shooter and they have great deals on offer fairly regularly (particularly on trade-ins) but there was nothing to avail of on this occasion. As you say too, I'll still go the local shop route for bodies - just much more peace of mind, and the personal service if there's ever any problems.

My lens should be arriving today btw... it arrived in Dublin last night and is due for delivery by the end of the day :pac:

vectra wrote: »
    No
    it just shows price.
    But what makes you think VAT is not included in this price?

Normally it would be displayed as a separate item on the invoice.
    I think they are not paying VAT and that's how they are able to sell cheaper.
    So if you are VAT registered and can get the VAT back, it'll be t he same if you order from UK sites. I don't think you can claim VAT back on e-infin if it's not stated. I've emailed them and asked to clarify.

Here's the resopnse confirming that:
    Hi,

Thank you for shopping with us.

Our company is based outside EU and all prices on our site are without any VAT and other European taxes. Unfortunately we are not able to supply VAT invoices for orders.

Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,
    CS Team
    E-infinity

So technically, not legal, as there is no VAT paid on them at any point of the process.

Less money for our Governments bonuses then :)

• Advertisement

Here's the resopnse confirming that:

So technically, not legal, as there is no VAT paid on them at any point of the process.

Is this the same case for eGlobal?

Is this the same case for eGlobal?

I dont think so. I heard eGlobal items come from Germany so no VAT due on them. Not sure how this works if Germany have some deal with some Asian countries about imports and exports taxes. Possibly eGlobal can bring them into Germany cheaper than other E.U. states

My lens should be arriving today btw... it arrived in Dublin last night and is due for delivery by the end of the day :pac:

Boom! Arrived! Gave it a quick test there, all in perfect working order. Didn't notice any damage to the packaging so not sure if it's "damaged stock" that E-Infin are selling on.

Impressed with the service though considering the price. 5 days (incl. a Sunday) from order to delivery.

LeoB wrote: »
    I dont think so. I heard eGlobal items come from Germany so no VAT due on them. Not sure how this works if Germany have some deal with some Asian countries about imports and exports taxes. Possibly eGlobal can bring them into Germany cheaper than other E.U. states

I don't think so. All external tarriffs and similar affair are fully harmonised across EU, Germany cannot have a special arrangement with any non-EU country.

So yes, it will definitely be the same case for eGlobal, something not just right. It won' necessarily be the buyer breaking the law, they somehow manage to get it to you circumventing VAT requirement, if they are shipping from within the EU then they will have to apply VAT, so they are dodging it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I don't think so. All external tarriffs and similar affair are fully harmonised across EU, Germany cannot have a special arrangement with any non-EU country.

So yes, it will definitely be the same case for eGlobal, something not just right. It won' necessarily be the buyer breaking the law, they somehow manage to get it to you circumventing VAT requirement, if they are shipping from within the EU then they will have to apply VAT, so they are dodging it somehow.

I don't think that's the case as imported Electronics such as laptops, digital cameras, cellphones are duty free in Romania.

https://customsdutyfree.com/romania-customs-and-import-duty-tax-calculation-method/
    Customs Duties or Import dutyA tax charged on certain goods which are brought into a coun... More and taxes will be pending and need to be cleared while importing goods into Romania from outside of the EU Either by a private individual or a commercial entity.

The valuation method is CIF.

The sum of the value of the imported goods and the cost of shipping and insurance.
    Below is the Duty and Sales taxKnown as VAT (Value Added Tax) in the UK. A tax based on the... More for Romania :

Duty Rates Average Duty Rate Sales Tax(GST) or VAT Threshold on goods
    0% to 48.5% 20% ST=5% to 20%
    VAT = ST * (CIF + Duty) No duty if the productThe result of a manufacturing or natural process (such as fo... More value (excluding shipping and insurance) cost won’t exceed €150 and No VAT if the FOB value(check Overview for FOB value) does not exceed €10
    NOTE
    • Electronic goods such as Laptops, CellPhones, Digital cameras and Video Game instruments are duty free.
    • Duty in Romania varies from one country to another even for the same productThe result of a manufacturing or natural process (such as fo... More. For example, Bicycles made in China carry an additional (anti dumping) duty of 48.5%.
    • VAT is 5% to 9% for goods like Newspapers and magazines and some goods are exempt from VAT like books, children dresses and children shoes.
    • Duty ranges are 0% (for example books) and 17% (for example Wellington shoes) generally.
    • VAT is calculated on the value of the goods,international shipping costs, insurance and any import dutyA tax charged on certain goods which are brought into a coun... More due.

Are VAT rates as pointed out above not different from one country to another? This is the point I was making. It might be only 4 or 5% VAT. Is ours different on different items? Could help explain some of the price differences.

An item costing €500 with a vat rate of 20% makes it €600 So buying say a Canon 70-200 f2.8 lens in eGlobal will cost you €1.425 while in Dublin it is €2.300.

Not sure what the VAT rate is on photography gear here but If you add VAT to the eGlobal price you are looking at €1.400. Take the cost of business here in comparison to some of the countries where the items are coming from and you can see how the items are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

That 80d ordered from e-infinity arrived yesterday. Took 5 working days to arrive via DPD. Camera seems very new, date code on the battery is Nov 17.

Well packed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

So is the price shown on eGlobal website ex vat? I'm looking at getting a Sigma 100-400 lens. It works out €100 cheaper than the price from Conns, once I've reclaimed the vat from Conns price.

Effects wrote: »
    So is the price shown on eGlobal website ex vat? I'm looking at getting a Sigma 100-400 lens. It works out €100 cheaper than the price from Conns, once I've reclaimed the vat from Conns price.

I am unsure which exact lens and what camera fitting you are looking at.
    But comparing Like for like
    Eglobal are €611.99
    Einfinity are €649.

Recently when I purchased my latest lens I informed Einfinity of Eglobals price along with a screenshot,
    They reduced the lens and beat Eglobals price.

Maybe worth a shot?

Why would you be so concerned about the VAT when total outlay is basically the important part.

Why would you be so concerned about the VAT when total outlay is basically the important part.

I don't have to pay vat. If the price from eglobal is a flat price with no mention of vat then it's more expensive than a price I get from Conns or Amazon, where the end price will have vat removed.

So if eglobal are not running their vat transactions properly the lens would cost me €114 more from them.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    I don't have to pay vat. If the price from eglobal is a flat price with no mention of vat then it's more expensive than a price I get from Conns or Amazon, where the end price will have vat removed.

So if eglobal are not running their vat transactions properly the lens would cost me €114 more from them.

OK
    I see,
    As far as I am aware
    E-infinity
    and
    Eglobal show no VAT which I can only assume Vat in non inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

I bought a Nikon from them about 2 years ago and a painless transaction start to finish. Am in the middle of buying a phone from them and it's been a nightmare. After a 10 day wait due to out of stock, I finally get a DHL tracking number yesterday. I check it and item in transit, between Gatwick & Heathrow. Only cop this AM that it's leaving Heathrow headed to Brussels, which should have triggered warning bells. Work intervened so only got back to it late this afternoon. Destination marked as Italy; not Ireland. Fired off an email. 30 mins later Mrs calls me to say a watch has been delivered to home.

Presume some fecker in Italy pining after a dive watch is going to be staring at a phone tomorrow and getting onto the Italian boards and having a pop.

So bloody tired of the hassle at this stage.

Got this email from eglobal:

We would like to confirm that orders placed on our site, are shipped out from our Hong Kong Warehouse as we are Hong Kong Based company. The invoice we send based only on the price of the item, any tax or VAT amount will not be indicated on the invoice, because any VAT or customs duties incurred will be settled by eGlobaL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I've used both a few times. Never had a problem. However, if there was a local supplier at a similar price (even a bit more expensive) I'd go for them every time. I can't imagine the hassle of trying to deal with one of these if there was a problem with a camera or lens after a few months. That local support and warranty etc is worth a few quid in my mind anyway

Camera and lens just arrived. I had ordered the M6 & 15-45 kit and the 55-200 as a white box special...

All arrived as a two lens kit fully packaged in a Canon retail box. Box wasn't in great condition and was not sealed. The charger is a US variant and an extension plug thrown in. This really pisses me off, but not enough that I'd want to return it.

So, I'm led to believe that they are buying two lens kits and splitting them down, selling the parts individually in their own white packaging.

I may need to invest in an Irish spec charger... The yolk I got is hanging precariously from the wall socket.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Camera and lens just arrived. I had ordered the M6 & 15-45 kit and the 55-200 as a white box special...

All arrived as a two lens kit fully packaged in a Canon retail box. Box wasn't in great condition and was not sealed. The charger is a US variant and an extension plug thrown in. This really pisses me off, but not enough that I'd want to return it.

So, I'm led to believe that they are buying two lens kits and splitting them down, selling the parts individually in their own white packaging.

I may need to invest in an Irish spec charger... The yolk I got is hanging precariously from the wall socket.

BTW, the box and UI were all in Japanese & no manual or documentation.

I just placed an order with eGlobal... Camera and additional lens. Paid the extra for insurance (sucker) but I'm forwarding it on to the Middle East, so the extra piece of mind is worth stg16.

Will that plug not be correct for the middle east?

Will that plug not be correct for the middle east?

No, we use three pin. Nice detective work though.

No, we use three pin. Nice detective work though.

No detective work, I just seemed to recall you saying something about shipping it off somewhere. :p

Same thing happened me with a phone.
    I am using an adaptor with no ill effects.
    Works perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Not Eglobal, but shows you how careful you have to be....

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/canon-ts-e-24mm-f-3-5-l/?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=lowerfunnel

The lens at the top, with the £649 price tag, is the vastly inferior Mark i version of this lens.

Scroll down and the larger photograph, with the description of the product, is the superb Mark ii.

If I could buy the Mark ii second-hand for £649, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

D.

Advertisement