Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recalling Reported Posts

Options
  • 22-02-2014 4:55pm

Yesterday I reported a post, and only today discovered it wasn't the one I intended to (this is what happens when you answer the phone in the space between thinking and doing).

Anyways it got me thinking that if I'd realised it as I was sending it, there doesn't seem to be a way of recalling it, or alternatively some mechanism to cancel it out, other than sending another report which would just clutter up the reported posts forum even more I assume. I feel bad because the post I inadvertently reported was absolutely fine and I wasn't nice about it in the report :(

So, have I missed something or is there no way of recalling or rendering a reported post null? And if not, what's the procedure?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

You could always report the post again and say you made a mistake, it won't clog up the reported posts forum.

LizT wrote: »
    You could always report the post again and say you made a mistake, it won't clog up the reported posts forum.

So there's no recall mechanism? Would have been too late for that post anyway, mind!

Would be a handy thing, assuming I'm not the only dolt who reports the wrong posts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

BTW, most times it'll be fine if you report a post by mistake (and that goes for the majority of forums).
    If you were constantly reporting the same user over and over or constantly reported posts that never are breaking the rules then it'd be an issue.

There's no recall system no, as Liz says, reporting it again isn't a problem at all. The way the RP system works, is that the first person to report a post creates a new thread in the reported posts forum. Every subsequent report is added to the same thread as additional posts. It looks just like any other forum/thread on the rest of the site. So you're only adding another post to the same thread if you report it again, there's nothing getting clogged up :)

There's no recall system no, as Liz says, reporting it again isn't a problem at all. The way the RP system works, is that the first person to report a post creates a new thread in the reported posts forum. Every subsequent report is added to the same thread as additional posts. It looks just like any other forum/thread on the rest of the site. So you're only adding another post to the same thread if you report it again, there's nothing getting clogged up :)

Aha! Thanks Whoops. Mainly I feel bad that I reported a perfectly fine post, and then couldn't remember the one that really irked me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You wouldn't believe the amount of stuff that gets reported that isn't actually a report! Mostly it's new users thinking they are replying to a post or sending a pm the the poster!

Nothing to worry about at all there Candie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,120 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Plus to that if a mod gets a report eg. This is personal abuse, and the post and those around it in the thread don't show evidence of it it's not like we will accidentally card someone.

Every once in a whole you get a report that's a bit of a head scratch and carry on

I reported a post in the motors forum the other day, then my phone buzzed and when I checked it, it turned out I was not in the motors forum and had in fact reported a post in AH.

Whoopsadaisydoodles :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That's called a 'Tom Dunne' Whoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,120 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I reported a post in the motors forum the other day, then my phone buzzed and when I checked it, it turned out I was not in the motors forum and had in fact reported a post in AH.

Whoopsadaisydoodles :D
    799_Fouad.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Steve wrote: »
    That's called a 'Tom Dunne' Whoops.

THAT WAS SIX YEARS AGO. LET IT GO, FFS!!

:D

I'll never live that one down....

Tom Dunne wrote: »

:D

I'll never live that one down....

This sounds like something I'd like to know :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Never! :D
    Candie wrote: »
    This sounds like something I'd like to know :)

While still an eager mod learning the ropes, young Tom Dunne reported a post. He subsequently realised that it was in a forum he moderated, but the damage was done as it was spotted by other mods in the Reported Posts forum. Much mirth was had, and continues to be had at his expense, and ever since then reporting a post in one of your own forums has been known as "doing a Tom Dunne".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I heard* Tom once yellow carded himself, then tried to get it reversed, only to have it upped to a red.
    He was so frustrated with the error of his ways, he decided he needed a month off from Boards...and so he banned himself.
    Last I heard, he was licking a mirror.

(*may or may not have)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I once 'reported' a post of a spammer with something like "obvious spammer needs to be nuked". 10 mins later went back to the forum to see if it had been and realised I'd replied to the post not reported it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

You could have been done for BSM'ing (which might well sound kind of sexy but I'm told it's really not..)
    Bah, your intentions were good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Panthro wrote: »
    You could have been done for BSM'ing (which might well sound kind of sexy but I'm told it's really not..)
    Bah, your intentions were good!
    Oh as soon as I seen it I deleted it and done it the proper way.

Zaph wrote: »
    While still an eager mod learning the ropes, young Tom Dunne reported a post. He subsequently realised that it was in a forum he moderated, but the damage was done as it was spotted by other mods in the Reported Posts forum. Much mirth was had, and continues to be had at his expense, and ever since then reporting a post in one of your own forums has been known as "doing a Tom Dunne".

That's it??? It's possibly the nerdiest thing anyones ever been teased for in the history of nerds!

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f1/60/c2/f160c2f4da9aa5e29e3025425db53a8f.jpg

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That's it??? It's possibly the nerdiest thing anyones ever been teased for in the history of nerds!

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f1/60/c2/f160c2f4da9aa5e29e3025425db53a8f.jpg

WHAT!!!???:eek:

Did you miss the bit where he said, "much mirth was had"??? There's nothing nerdy about the Tom Dunne affair at all at all.

WHAT!!!???:eek:

Did you miss the bit where he said, "much mirth was had"??? There's nothing nerdy about the Tom Dunne affair at all at all.

I was hoping for something juicy - and instead I get "A moderator once reported a post in his own forum - how we laughed!"

I want a proper scandal ffs!

Very disappointed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I was hoping for something juicy - and instead I get "A moderator once reported a post in his own forum - how we laughed!"

I want a proper scandal ffs!

Very disappointed :(

If it's scandal on reported posts you want, ask Zaph about the incident involving the rabbi, the stolen handbag and the government minister.

It is totally unconnected to the barring order preventing him from coming within 500 feet of a synagogue, he tells me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If it's scandal on reported posts you want, ask Zaph about the incident involving the rabbi, the stolen handbag and the government minister.

It is totally unconnected to the barring order preventing him from coming within 500 feet of a synagogue, he tells me.

You promised you'd never mention that again. :o

Advertisement