Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ever happened to all the boats and ships in Waterford?

Options
  • 22-02-2014 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

I remember going back to the 90's and start of 2000's there used to always be ships docked in Waterford on both sides of the river.
    There was always the fishing boats and then 1 or 2 cargo ships.

But they seemed to disappear around 2003 or so and havent ever returned on a regular basis?
    I even remember a huge cargo ship sitting in the middle of the river one time waiting for the bridge to open.

What happened to scare all the ships off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The cargo port moved downstream a bit to Belview where they can take bigger ships and have more space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Kahless wrote: »
    The cargo port moved downstream a bit to Belview where they can take bigger ships and have more space.

Had a feeling that had something to do it.

Did all the fishing boats move to dungarven or something? Lack of jobs and less fishing boats these days I wonder? Seeing as belview doesnt have any fishing vessels there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fishing boats only come up the river in storm/surge conditions as a rule, otherwise they are in Dunmore East. Where else would you expect to find them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

mike65 wrote: »
    Fishing boats only come up the river in storm/surge conditions as a rule, otherwise they are in Dunmore East. Where else would you expect to find them?

The Comeragh mountains!

mike65 wrote: »

As I said in my opening post. Going back 10-15 years ago you would find 10+ fishing boats docked in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

oak5548 wrote: »
    Had a feeling that had something to do it.

Did all the fishing boats move to dungarven or something? Lack of jobs and less fishing boats these days I wonder? Seeing as belview doesnt have any fishing vessels there.

There are no fishing boats in Dungarvan. Maybe you meant Helvick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Every boat that docks would need permission from the local Port Authority.

They pay tolls as well you know .

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

ithought the port sold the north wharf and that was the reason no ships were allowed to come alongside?? its same really a port city and technically our port is in co kilkenny located at belview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

oak5548 wrote: »
    As I said in my opening post. Going back 10-15 years ago you would find 10+ fishing boats docked in the city.

The fishing boats as has been said were only there for shelter when weather conditions were bad. Then they deployed back to Dunmore East or one of the other South East fishing ports. There were other types of fishing boats that worked the rivers for Salmon fishing (drift nets) but this is banned now or has been curtailed to the point where it is not feasible. The Irish Naval service bought two patrol vessels of the British that were/are used quiet a bit in Waterford Estuary to stop this type of poaching. You might also remember from the time you were talking about that one of these boats was often seen over on the North Quays. I worked with a guy who was in the navy at the time who told me about this. He explained to me that these boats were bought specifically to curb poaching and smuggling on the rivers. They have an ability to switch the engines off so the patrol boat can drift along with the current at night and re-engage the engine very quickly when they are on top of the unsuspecting poacher. His particular hunting ground was Waterford Estuary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacock-class_corvette

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

The fishing boats as has been said were only there for shelter when weather conditions were bad. Then they deployed back to Dunmore East or one of the other South East fishing ports. There were other types of fishing boats that worked the rivers for Salmon fishing (drift nets) but this is banned now or has been curtailed to the point where it is not feasible. The Irish Naval service bought two patrol vessels of the British that were/are used quiet a bit in Waterford Estuary to stop this type of poaching. You might also remember from the time you were talking about that one of these boats was often seen over on the North Quays. I worked with a guy who was in the navy at the time who told me about this. He explained to me that these boats were bought specifically to curb poaching and smuggling on the rivers. They have an ability to switch the engines off so the patrol boat can drift along with the current at night and re-engage the engine very quickly when they are on top of the unsuspecting poacher. His particular hunting ground was Waterford Estuary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacock-class_corvette
    theses boats you talk about were used by royal navy in hong kong harbour during the british reign of hong kong for drug interdiction and to police the harbour, i've seen them in action whilst in slua muiri now naval service reserve while on active duty aboard naval vessels and at top speed there fast mother fcukers, its an all male crew as there is no female accomadation aboard due to the design of the ship

• Advertisement

Here's a video from 2003. Counted at least 6 ships along each side of the river.

Advertisement